Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:40 pm

Question Requesting a refund after accepting a flight change

Hey guys,

I had booked 2 Business Class (lowest) tickets with AC from YYZ-AMS, but a few weeks ago they cancelled all of its direct flights to AMS, rerouted us through FRA and then sent an email asking me to Accept the new flights/time on the AC portal, which I did.

So now after 3 weeks, I just found out from my friends (who had booked the same itinerary) that they can't do FRA (long story), so there goes our planning.

We're now planning to get a refund from AC, and just fly KLM, they still have direct flights from YYZ to AMS.

Question: Do i have a case to be asking AC to give us a full refund (even though I did accept the new routing) or am I stuck with losing $150/passenger for a normal business (lowest) refund scenario?

Edit:
Update: I got lucky and only had to wait on hold with AC for less than 40 minutes. I was able to get a full refund back to my card; the agent on the phone was extremely helpful.

Last edited by hsandhar; Aug 14, 2021 at 8:53 pm Reason: Got my refund (answer).
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC E75K
I don’t know the answer but I’m very curious why your friends cannot connect through FRA if they are able to enter AMS.
hsandhar likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
I don’t know the answer but I’m very curious why your friends cannot connect through FRA if they are able to enter AMS.
Wish I could share that on a public forum but thats not the case.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:52 pm

Got the refund.

Update: I got lucky and only had to wait on hold with AC for less than 40 minutes. I was able to get a full refund back to my card; the agent on the phone was extremely helpful.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:38 am
RY7

Current refund time for canceled ticket into AP points?

I am about to cancel an AC ticket and would like to turn it into AP points with 65% bonus.
How long does it currently take to get the points into my account?
I am also looking forward to use those points on an award flight soon.

Thank you
Old Aug 29, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
How does one track the status of a refund from AC due to a flight booked for April 2020 and then cancelled due to covid? I request the refund due to covid in early July 2021.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
Visit: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...r-support.html

Enter your case number in the appropriate field. AC was processing flights as of June 28, 2020 the other day.

I requested my refund on July 3 and have had 1 email apologizing for the delay, but no update.

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
How does one track the status of a refund from AC due to a flight booked for April 2020 and then cancelled due to covid? I request the refund due to covid in early July 2021.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by nli007
What is considered as "Uncontrollable" within the context of COVID-19 cancellations has guidance from the CTA via Determination No. A-2020-42 actually (Link: https://otc-cta.gc.ca/node/569158) It states:[8] Section 10 of the APPR provides a non-exhaustive list of situations considered outside the air carrier’s control (the third category above). These include medical emergencies and orders or instructions from state officials. In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, the following would be considered outside a carrier’s control:
  • flight disruptions to locations that are covered by a government advisory against travel or unnecessary travel due to COVID-19;
  • employee quarantine or self-isolation due to COVID-19;
  • employee refusal to work under Part II of the Canada Labour Code, R.S.C, 1985, c. L-2, (or equivalent law) due to COVID-19; and
  • additional hygiene or passenger health screening processes put in place due to COVID-19.
Note that bolded part is mine. As Canada has issued a non-essential travel advisory for ALL international travel back on March 13, 2020, thus, any cancellations between Canada and the United States can be deemed an "uncontrollable" cancellation per CTA's guidance materials via this determination. Whether or not another airline is still operating between the same two city pairs is immaterial.

Sorry for replying to you so much later, but that determination expired in April (it was extended to June of 2020 as well) 2020, and the CTA appears to have clarified that they will not extend it, see here:
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2021-54
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:49 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I cancelled some flights on Wednesday and received my e-voucher emails today.

Dunno what they've done, or if this is the new normal, but well done AC for speeding this process up!
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I cancelled some flights on Wednesday and received my e-voucher emails today.

Dunno what they've done, or if this is the new normal, but well done AC for speeding this process up!
Sadly this does not seem to happen so seamlessly for more complicated refunds.

I made a change to an itinerary 2+ weeks ago that was supposed to result in a gift card / voucher + a credit card refund of airport taxes. I'm told both can take up to 6 weeks to arrive...
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Trying to cancel a flight (voluntarily) - paid cash. It properly gives me the option of refunding as Aeroplan miles (no thank you), or in an AC travel voucher (and understand I can use for anyone for any AC flight and it does not expire. However, the refund page says to allow 6 weeks(!) for issue. Is this SOP? Does it normally actually take this long?
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Trying to cancel a flight (voluntarily) - paid cash. It properly gives me the option of refunding as Aeroplan miles (no thank you), or in an AC travel voucher (and understand I can use for anyone for any AC flight and it does not expire. However, the refund page says to allow 6 weeks(!) for issue. Is this SOP? Does it normally actually take this long?
I find they are much faster these days. (I guess more people are booking trips than cancelling plus the COVID backlog has been dealt with). I cancelled one last week and got the travel voucher within a few days.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by seawolf
I’m sure AC had ample time to settle before it went to formal proceedings.

I hope they don’t settle as I made popcorn.

Speaking of settling....I was just catching up on the Aerospace & Defense section on Reuters and saw this bit in the corner of the page.

QUOTE:

" The department said on Thursday that settlement negotiations with Air Canada "are continuing." Air Canada did not immediately comment. "

Article:
U.S. probing 18 airlines over delayed refund complaints - September 9, 2021

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...ts-2021-09-09/
Old Sep 24, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does anyone have experience filing against AC in US small claims court? I am getting to the point where I'm done listening to their ridiculous excuses as I wait to get refunded for a ticket canceled 13 months ago.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 6:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zeer0
Does anyone have experience filing against AC in US small claims court? I am getting to the point where I'm done listening to their ridiculous excuses as I wait to get refunded for a ticket canceled 13 months ago.
What’s the background? Is this a non refundable ticket? Or is it a refundable ticket and it is not hitting the credit card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.