Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:01 pm

I submitted 2 claims on the first day after it opened in April. One was for travel in May 2020, and I got that refund about a month ago. The other was an earlier flight (March 2020), and the refund just came through this week.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:15 am

Got an email on July 13th that my refund was processed. It appears to be broken into two amounts (two separate emails). I assume taxes and not taxes. The smaller amount showed up right away (July 14th). The larger amount has not. Hopefully in the next couple days.

Had submitted my request on April 29th.

**Update** July 22, 2021 - The second amount has not arrived yet. Did anyone else have delays between the two?
TTC900Rocket likes this.

Last edited by mjjhorto; Jul 22, 2021 at 11:41 am Reason: Updating.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 6:13 pm

"New Refund Policy"

I burst out laughing when I saw their newest press release:

New Refund Policy gives customer choices and options
Air Canada's new refund policy of offering customers options of refunds, an Air Canada Travel Voucher or equivalent value in Aeroplan Points with a 65% bonus should the airline cancel or reschedule a flight by more than three hours, is applicable to all tickets purchased.
https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2021...-Two-Countries

It's new! How shiny! They think we were all born this morning
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Air Canada's Consent Motion for a Three-Week Stay

Posted by the Department of Transportation on Jul 20, 2021

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2021-0073-0015
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Air Canada's Consent Motion for a Three-Week Stay

Posted by the Department of Transportation on Jul 20, 2021

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2021-0073-0015
Oh look, they're settling.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Oh look, they're settling.
I’m sure AC had ample time to settle before it went to formal proceedings.

I hope they don’t settle as I made popcorn.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 21, 2021 at 7:49 am
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by nmpls
Anyone actually received a refund lately? I submitted my request on 5/6/2021 and all 3 of my reference numbers say still pending.
Hey, I got a refund today! Well, I got a notice from AC I was getting one.
Flight was early May 2020.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:36 pm

I will never EVER book a flight on AC again! Finally got a refund, but too late after their awful behavior.
Gorji, strickerj, zeer0 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:00 am

Did it come in two amounts? I received part of mine but not the other part. So then I am wondering if there is an issue or if it happens this way for everyone.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:24 am

Ugh. Realizing I would have paid with a gift card. Anyone know how that would work? I am not sure if I even still have the original card.

Update: I found the gift card. Went and checked the balance. Gave me an error message. Called a gift card number to ask for help. They show the card as inactive/shut down when I would have used it up originally when I booked. And there has not been a balance transferred back onto the card.

They told me I need to fill out a form electronically, which I have done. Hopefully I get a response in a timely manner. I should have just kept the credit.

* August 15, 2021 Update - I have filed two online customer service requests for help. Both now show that they are "closed" but I have received no correspondence and my original gift card still does not have a balance. Getting so frustrated.

Last edited by mjjhorto; Aug 15, 2021 at 5:14 pm Reason: Update
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Air Canada is scum. I'm still waiting on a $500 refund from April 29th. Yet they had no issue immediately removing the points from my account when I traded them for the refund...
strickerj and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
I submitted my refund request on April 13, 2021.

I finally got an email back below:

We wanted to take the time to inform you that your case for a refund to your original form of payment is still open. Unfortunately, due to the high number of requests, things are taking longer than we had anticipated. Please rest assured that we’re working on your case and will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this delay has caused, and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding

I guess I will keep on waiting.
strickerj and zeer0 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by dtman85

I finally got an email back below:

We wanted to take the time to inform you that your case for a refund to your original form of payment is still open. Unfortunately, due to the high number of requests, things are taking longer than we had anticipated. Please rest assured that we’re working on your case and will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this delay has caused, and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding

I guess I will keep on waiting.
In other words: "We wanted to take the time to send these emails rather than push the button to send you your refund. We are sincerely grateful for the opportunity to continue to avoid some interest charges on our debts in the meantime, thanks to this delay. We look forward to you continuing to put up with our irritating choice of business practices."
strickerj, zeer0 and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Timing for AP Miles to Post from Cancelled Ticket

My niece purchased a ticket a few days ago for a flight next week. She cancelled it this morning and was given the option of miles or a refund.

She chose miles but the miles have not yet posted and she needs them to buy the replacement ticket. Does it take a while on AC for miles to post in this situation? I’m accustomed to AA which is usually very quick.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by dtman85
That's nothing! I've got a ticket still stuck in the processing queue for which I originally requested refund for Aug 5, 2020. It exceeded 1 year last week! I continue to get reassurances when I call that it will be handled soon!

Completely pathetic.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.