Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:23 pm

Upcoming end of May AC flight is cancelled but so far no refund yet. I plan to call in later when things clear up
Booked via AC.com (thankfully) for ~$600

Honestly I wish AC gets creative
- either offer say 120% credit or 100% cash (which is what Singapore SCOOT airline is doing)
- heck, offer Aeroplans? I'd take 60K miles for $600 refund?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 12:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Upcoming end of May AC flight is cancelled but so far no refund yet.
Why would you be expecting one, given they announced on March 18th that they would no longer be providing them for cancellations as of the 19th?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Why would you be expecting one, given they announced on March 18th that they would no longer be providing them for cancellations as of the 19th?
Perhaps, he's hoping mounting pressure will lead Air Canada to relent and start offering refunds or a reasonable alternative
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Perhaps, he's hoping mounting pressure will lead Air Canada to relent and start offering refunds or a reasonable alternative
With the $300M+ or so that AC is getting in free taxpayer $ to pay their employees, that should make cash available for refunds. Come on AC.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Just had a call with AC to check on my now 1 month old refund status, and the customer representative is telling me refunds are now taking 3 months or more - what?

I had cancelled my ticket a month ago via AC's special refund provision for flights to/from China + Hong Kong. Thousands of dollars I may not see until the summer?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sopwith
So AC plans to use federal bailout money to rehire laid off employees. Okay, good. But the deal should be that the cash that is freed up should be used to make the refunds they are contractually obligated to make.
What free'd up cash? How much do you think it costs to cover an employee who isn't getting paid?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Just had a call with AC to check on my now 1 month old refund status, and the customer representative is telling me refunds are now taking 3 months or more - what?

I had cancelled my ticket a month ago via AC's special refund provision for flights to/from China + Hong Kong. Thousands of dollars I may not see until the summer?
Initiate a chargeback dispute with your card issuer under the motive of "credit/refund not processed". If Air Canada sees that, they will accelerate the refund, otherwise it will forced upon them by your bank and card network.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
AC has never automatically provided refunds for involuntary cancellations, it was always up to the customer to initiate the refund.

Originally Posted by mathemagic
With the $300M+ or so that AC is getting in free taxpayer $ to pay their employees, that should make cash available for refunds. Come on AC.
That cash is specifically to pay employees, not customers.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:57 pm

That cash is specifically to pay employees, not customers.
This cash injection means they will have more revenues than otherwise. Because the net effect is positive cash flow for them vs not getting this benefit (even when employees are paid) they theoretically do indeed have more resources available. They thus would have more cash to pay out some refunds than they would without the benefit.

I would also offer than these customers are not expecting to get "paid". They're simply expecting $ that is theirs to begin with.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:30 pm

This cash injection means they will have more revenues than otherwise. Because the net effect is positive cash flow for them vs not getting this benefit (even when employees are paid) they theoretically do indeed have more resources available. They thus would have more cash to pay out some refunds than they would without the benefit.
These employees aren't currently getting paid, or were about to not be getting paid. Every dollar in is going out to an employee. So there's no extra cash for AC.

I would also offer than these customers are not expecting to get "paid". They're simply expecting $ that is theirs to begin with.
I'm on record numerous times in this thread and others as disagreeing with AC's position. But it's not realistic to expect funds from a wage subsidy program - whose explicit goal is to help employees - to go to customers.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:43 pm

These employees aren't currently getting paid, or were about to not be getting paid. Every dollar in is going out to an employee. So there's no extra cash for AC.
Around half of AC employees were laid off, so 50% of overall wages are being paid by the company. Introducing a 75% subsidy and rehiring the half back means AC is now covering 25% of overall wages. A net benefit. This does assume that most employees will not be paid in excess of the benefit maximum, which may be a flawed assumption. But nevertheless I would have to believe AC is doing this because it believes there is a net benefit to its cash flow, and it is more likely than not that it yields extra cash (and of course better for the employees).
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:59 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
at least you have stopped suggesting the Class Action Lawsuit as the salvation for people hoping for refunds over credits
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:55 pm

Around half of AC employees were laid off, so 50% of overall wages are being paid by the company. Introducing a 75% subsidy and rehiring the half back means AC is now covering 25% of overall wages. A net benefit. This does assume that most employees will not be paid in excess of the benefit maximum, which may be a flawed assumption. But nevertheless I would have to believe AC is doing this because it believes there is a net benefit to its cash flow, and it is more likely than not that it yields extra cash (and of course better for the employees).
I don't know where you get your numbers, but far more than half of FAs and pilots were laid off, and huge numbers of call centre staff (despite that, call centre wait times are frequently zero even for non-status pax), but it's unlikely that this is a net benefit to AC today. The benefit to AC is in the intangible of maintaining goodwill with employees and a smoother return to operations when things normalize. The latter may generate some cash savings down the road, but is unlikely to do anything for AC's cash flow today. And most of the pilots and even many FAs will be making more than the maximum of this program, meaning AC may not be getting a 75% subsidy for what it's actually paying them.

Regardless, the government has launched this program to put money in the pockets of employees and is trying to ensure that every dollar it pays goes to an employee. So you're ultimately suggesting taking money out of the pockets of employees to put it in customers' pockets.

The government can force AC (and WS, TS, etc) to issue refunds at any time and figure out where to squeeze its other needs to find the cash. Or it can provide a bailout package with strings attached. But the wage subsidy is not the right place to be looking for that money.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The government can force AC (and WS, TS, etc) to issue refunds at any time and figure out where to squeeze its other needs to find the cash. Or it can provide a bailout package with strings attached. But the wage subsidy is not the right place to be looking for that money.
Indeed. The CEWS program isn't intended to keep companies afloat, it's intended to support the entire Canadian economy by minimising labour market friction when things do get going again. It would probably be better for AC's short-term cash position to put everyone on EI/CERB.

The government has plenty of regulatory authority to force AC to provide refunds for some portion of its consumers any time it wants. It does not seem inclined to address this issue in the short term and I'd imagine that a lot of people in Ottawa are seized with other issues that they feel are more pressing right now.

For what it's worth, I think AC pulled a brilliant move by sending out the "confirm your travel plans" emails - they got a huge number of people to cancel voluntarily and likely exclude themselves from benefiting in any future regulatory action on involuntary cancellations. I bet the US3 wish they had thought of that before April 3.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
For what it's worth, I think AC pulled a brilliant move by sending out the "confirm your travel plans" emails - they got a huge number of people to cancel voluntarily and likely exclude themselves from benefiting in any future regulatory action on involuntary cancellations. I bet the US3 wish they had thought of that before April 3.
They've also sent out that e-mail to people who already had schedule changes that should qualify them for refunds though, so I'm not sure the intent was quite so malicious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.