The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old May 20, 20, 8:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 13, 20, 2:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
While I love the panoramic views, there's one big problem with being at a 150m altitude in the Lower Mainland and it's a four letter word.

That word is "snow".

Anytime Environment Canada warns of the possibility of snow over higher terrain, we know that means us. Explicitly us. They may as well just say our names and address.

So when I woke up this morning to the unmistakable sound of the city snow plow edging along our street, I knew what to expect. And there it was - almost 10 cm of the disgusting white stuff. Eeek!

But while I was sipping my morning cappuccino, savouring the smell of baking baguette and starting to contemplate actually getting showered and dressed, there was knock at the door. Okay, a press of the Ring doorbell.

Lo and behold, two enterprising youths dressed for the weather and fully armed with shovels. Before they could even start their pitch Ms. Boh said "Absolutely!" and off they went. Fifteen minutes later, the deed was done and the hard working lads went away richer.

It's little moments like this that restore my faith in the next generation.
But did they return late this evening when round 2 hit?

Two of my kids saw me out shoveling and came to assist. I was feeling proud of myself for raising kids that know how to see a need and fill it. Then they asked for hot chocolate and some cash. Now I'm feeling proud of them for being capitalists.
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:00 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
In other news, who here in Southern Ontario got a nuclear alert at 7:25am? I saw the lack of an actual leak and went back to bed but many people are upset.

Dubious IT?
The first thing I did was looking up wind direction and thinking about booking a flight out lol. Then I looked into the EMS dispatch log to see what got dispatched and found nothing.
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:44 am

Programs: AC E50K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
An interesting read The 106-year history of the dreaded economy airline seat - BBC Worklife. Looking forward to AC implementing the seat of the future that "one day have monitoring systems that alert the crew or repairmen to issues with the seat itself, such as detached cushions or superficial blemishes" or perhaps deflation.
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:46 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by YYC traveler View Post
An interesting read The 106-year history of the dreaded economy airline seat - BBC Worklife. Looking forward to AC implementing the seat of the future that "one day have monitoring systems that alert the crew or repairmen to issues with the seat itself, such as detached cushions or superficial blemishes" or perhaps deflation.
Or they could just use seats that don't deflate like most airlines.

Wow! Look at me going all low tech instead of high tech! This is a moment for the record books.
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
Given that I just spent the last hour shoveling snow, I'm not sure I see this as a "win".
@Bohemian1

Well, ok, yes.
I was reading this on CTV Vancouver. Despite the snow, some beautiful scenery from West Van, Burnaby, Reef Bay on Mayne Island and in Salmon Arm, among others, in the embedded IG photos.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/what-does-wint...rain-1.4764136

Old Jan 14, 20, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
JD going to TC for four years, likely to finish out his career there
#sportshardball
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
#34 just scored a hattie with his 34th

Even with a 6-1 lead, buds still nearly gave game away against one of the worst teams. Annoying.
#sportspuck
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
yyznomad , huge #sportspuck game on Thursday night.
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
yyznomad , huge #sportspuck game on Thursday night.
Yep. Bring it on.
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .875MM, Marriott Gold, Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Yep. Bring it on.
Flames better be motivated after a very lackluster game against the Habs yesterday. They did not look good....
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller View Post
Flames better be motivated after a very lackluster game against the Habs yesterday. They did not look good....
Consistently inconsistent - just like AC!
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .875MM, Marriott Gold, Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
most people on FT would argue that AC is very consistent, just not in a good way....
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So are the buds. Buds play too relaxed, especially with a lead, IMHO. They gotta tighten their ship up.
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
So are the buds. Buds play too relaxed, especially with a lead, IMHO. They gotta tighten their ship up.
I am ok if they don't!
Old Jan 15, 20, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am ok if they don't!
It's ok... Freddie has been a bit of a sieve lately... even when the defence is actually backchecking. Sandin looking good so far on his return to the hockey show.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: