The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old May 20, 20, 8:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 2, 20, 1:43 pm
  #226  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Oilers spank the Flames 8-3 winning almost every battle in the process and leapfrog over Flames in the Pacific Div. standings. The game had everything from a penalty shot to goalies fighting to McDavid scoring a pair of goals and and a 4-point night for Draisaitl.
While that was not the result I would have wanted, I still wanted to see that game. For a good chunk of years the Battle of Alberta was pretty dull and not very intense, but lately it looks like it's picking up!
YYCNoob is online now  
Old Feb 5, 20, 3:04 pm
  #227  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 29,334
LAD getting Betts and Price in 3-way!
Maybe this is the year. They probably could've won in 2017 if it weren't for all those trash cans.
#sportshardball
yyznomad is offline  
Old Feb 5, 20, 3:07 pm
  #228  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 50,031
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
LAD getting Betts and Price in 3-way!
Maybe this is the year. They probably could've won in 2017 if it weren't for all those trash cans.
#sportshardball
Meh, Dodgers payroll is already ginormous and they can get to the WS but can't win it, at least not lately, so is one more expensive addition enough to make a difference.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 20, 3:10 pm
  #229  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 29,334
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Meh, Dodgers payroll is already ginormous and they can get to the WS but can't win it, at least not lately, so is one more expensive addition enough to make a difference.
Don't get me wrong - I don't have any skin in the game per se... but I do believe they would've won in 2017 if it weren't for some other possible (cheating) factors...
tcook052 likes this.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Feb 5, 20, 4:56 pm
  #230  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (Wave as you fly over)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 3,222
Sitting in the Queen Victoria Building in SYD, admiring the sights, sipping mimosas while some dude a floor below me is confidently cruising his way through The Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, without sheet music of course. That done, I guess it's time for a polonaise.

Life is grand.

Except for my next flight on VA. Nothing some more bubbles can't solve.
Bohemian1 is online now  
Old Feb 5, 20, 5:43 pm
  #231  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 8,168
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
Life is grand.

Except for my next flight on VA. Nothing some more bubbles can't solve.
In Y or J? I found it perfectly adequate in J.
Adam Smith is online now  
Old Feb 5, 20, 7:54 pm
  #232  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,790
What a game! Raps won by one!
YYT82 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 20, 9:40 pm
  #233  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,738
Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
What a game! Raps won by one!
Yay new record for win streak.
Pacers were raining 3s.

Last edited by vernonc; Feb 5, 20 at 9:51 pm
vernonc is offline  
Old Feb 6, 20, 12:32 pm
  #234  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YHZ/YQM
Programs: none
Posts: 1,442
Last night my 17 yo daughter came home with a trumpet that she borrowed. Now she's trying to teach herself to play it.

Oh happy day.

At least she already knows the fingering from her time on the baritone horn.
smallmj is offline  
Old Feb 6, 20, 12:46 pm
  #235  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: TK *G
Posts: 2,146
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
Sitting in the Queen Victoria Building in SYD, admiring the sights, sipping mimosas while some dude a floor below me is confidently cruising his way through The Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, without sheet music of course. That done, I guess it's time for a polonaise.

Life is grand.

Except for my next flight on VA. Nothing some more bubbles can't solve.
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
Last night my 17 yo daughter came home with a trumpet that she borrowed. Now she's trying to teach herself to play it.

Oh happy day.

At least she already knows the fingering from her time on the baritone horn.
I don't know why but I see a few connections between these two posts

I would be more than happy if I can play Hungarian Rhapsody No 2, or anything from Franz Liszt.
songsc is offline  
Old Feb 6, 20, 1:58 pm
  #236  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: AC SE*100K
Posts: 1,382
I had a long day in SYD yesterday with customers, and then out for drinks with partners in the CBD at the end of the day, then out for a late dinner with a co-worker.

As the people the next table over were finishing dinner one guy leans over and asks if I am Canadian. I assume it is because he's heard my accent (and he has a Canadian accent too) but no it is because he's noticed the SE tag on my laptop bag. Turns out he's part of the team working on the new loyalty program, based in Toronto. Of all the gin joints in the world We chatted for a while and he said that he really hoped I would be impressed with the new program, so I guess we'll see! Considering our corporate HQ is right next to AC at YUL I usually have these finds of encounters around YUL ... to be having that conversation on a Thursday night in Sydney seemed like a hilarious coincidence to me
RatherBeInYOW is offline  
Old Feb 6, 20, 2:14 pm
  #237  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 3,273
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post

At least she already knows the fingering from her time on the baritone horn.
Well, sort of and maybe.
RangerNS is offline  
Old Feb 6, 20, 5:20 pm
  #238  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Posts: 2,301
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
I had a long day in SYD yesterday with customers, and then out for drinks with partners in the CBD at the end of the day, then out for a late dinner with a co-worker.

As the people the next table over were finishing dinner one guy leans over and asks if I am Canadian. I assume it is because he's heard my accent (and he has a Canadian accent too) but no it is because he's noticed the SE tag on my laptop bag. Turns out he's part of the team working on the new loyalty program, based in Toronto. Of all the gin joints in the world We chatted for a while and he said that he really hoped I would be impressed with the new program, so I guess we'll see! Considering our corporate HQ is right next to AC at YUL I usually have these finds of encounters around YUL ... to be having that conversation on a Thursday night in Sydney seemed like a hilarious coincidence to me
It's a small world, eh? Now I hope you spent that time trying to extract details from him, and those details will shortly be making their way to the the new program speculation thread .... in speculative form, of course
expert7700 and canadiancow like this.
canopus27 is offline  
Old Feb 6, 20, 5:24 pm
  #239  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 8,168
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
I had a long day in SYD yesterday with customers, and then out for drinks with partners in the CBD at the end of the day, then out for a late dinner with a co-worker.

As the people the next table over were finishing dinner one guy leans over and asks if I am Canadian. I assume it is because he's heard my accent (and he has a Canadian accent too) but no it is because he's noticed the SE tag on my laptop bag. Turns out he's part of the team working on the new loyalty program, based in Toronto. Of all the gin joints in the world
Not where I thought the story was going. I thought you were going to tell us it was Bohemian1
pewpew and songsc like this.
Adam Smith is online now  
Old Feb 6, 20, 9:19 pm
  #240  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: AC SE*100K
Posts: 1,382
Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
It's a small world, eh? Now I hope you spent that time trying to extract details from him, and those details will shortly be making their way to the the new program speculation thread .... in speculative form, of course
Didn't really get any good details. Just that they were doing a lot of work and a lot of comparisons and that they were targeting foreigners (e.g. Australians coming to Canada...) as well as Canadians with the program. And when I told him my flying patterns he said he thought I would be exited by it. So I guess we'll see

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Not where I thought the story was going. I thought you were going to tell us it was Bohemian1
Haha, I didn't read that he was in SYD until after I posted! I was in one of the speakeasy bars - very cool place but no view
canopus27 likes this.
RatherBeInYOW is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: