Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
as long as they don't bank on 29/97 scoring for them every night
exciting team to watch, nevertheless
Hey, tonight they got some secondary scoring from Chaisson, Nurse, Yamamoto and Klefbom each with a goal so helped assist the big guns.

That goal by 97 though... sick.

^

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1667233859599/

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 6, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I think the reality of technology and the fact that someone is always listening just dawned on my vastly superior half.

Her friend popped in and mentioned a health app in passing. Moments later she was on her phone and one of the banner apps was for that same app.

It was amusing because it looked for a moment like she might throw the thing in the sink out of sheer panic.

Maybe now she'll understand why I use burners for my blue meth side business.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:45 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
While I am not particularly nostalgic, I have found the most efficient way to relive the days of yore is to interact with a chartered bank.

Me (On phone): I can't login to your (banking) website and can't reset my password.

Them (On phone): No problem Sir, I can fix that for you. Before we proceed, could you tell me the balance on your most recent statement?

Me: No, I can't login, remember? So I can't check my balance.

Them: Okay. If you look at your most recent paper statement, the number will be near the top.

Me: I don't have paper statements anymore because you hounded me into going paperless, remember?

Them: In that case you'l have to visit one of our branches to verify your identity. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Later ...

Me (at Branch): I can't login to your website and can't reset my password.

Them (at Branch): Oh we can't help you with that here, you'll have to call our Customer Service line.

Me: Then I'd like to speak to a manager. Is Mr. Scrooge available or is he too busy fetching coal, filling inkwells or kicking orphans?
Seriously, what an effed up industry.
canadiancow and Thorrism like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
While I am not particularly nostalgic, I have found the most efficient way to relive the days of yore is to interact with a chartered bank.

Seriously, what an effed up industry.
When I moved from BoA to Schwab, BoA suddenly started acting reasonable. I told them it was too late. And I've been with Schwab ever since.

All banks suck. But some banks suck less than others.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
When I moved from BoA to Schwab, BoA suddenly started acting reasonable. I told them it was too late. And I've been with Schwab ever since.

All banks suck. But some banks suck less than others.
Don't get me started...!!! (I've had three multinational bank clients...)
But I won't say anything bad about clients here. Never.
*burp*

(they're all wonderful like rainbows and cupcakes)
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:46 am

I've had most of the major banks and all of the major credit card networks as clients and they were actually quite well ensconced in the 21st Century. They even embraced stuff like REST, JSON and a public Internet. Of course, those were back end / security people as opposed to front office staff.

They were / are mostly a pleasure to work with. Although there was the first time I was in MC worldwide HQ and the only way to pay for anything in their cafeteria was cash or MasterCard. No MasterCard? No problem. They had a machine that would vend prepaid MC cards in the lobby.

"Priceless", as their competition used to say.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:54 am

REST is so last century
Bohemian1 and Thorrism like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:01 am

REST is so last century
A lot of my customers still use SOAP. Now that is so last century.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
REST is so last century
I thought REST was introduced in 2000?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:06 am

Sigh. Down to 6.4%...
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:13 am

Fine. So two decades ago.

All the cool companies are moving to GQL. Heck, even AC!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Sigh. Down to 6.4%...
Approaching zero... Let's change the subject....

How about them _____________ (insert the team you love, hate, or love to hate).

On another note, I wonder what Tom Brady is doing this week?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:17 pm

Tom Brady is sitting at home reminding himself that he's the greatest that ever played the position, he has more rings than any other player, and he's rich beyond his wildest dreams.

Unfortunately, he's also telling his agent to find him a team. Here comes Favre 2.0 - and that's an ugly way to end a beautiful career.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Tom Brady is sitting at home reminding himself that he's the greatest that ever played the position, he has more rings than any other player, and he's rich beyond his wildest dreams.

Unfortunately, he's also telling his agent to find him a team. Here comes Favre 2.0 - and that's an ugly way to end a beautiful career.
I think he is going to pull a Kawhi and hand pick his offence and demand that whatever team wants to sign him has to also trade for or sign everyone on his list. That, or make them sign everyone from the Pro Bowl....
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: HH Silver
You conveniently forgot married to Giselle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.