Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 7:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I think that filing simple tax returns should be taught in high school, along with other financial literacy. I mistakenly mentioned this to a high school English teacher once and she was offended. She felt that analyzing poetry and literature taught all of the critical thinking skills that students should need and that they should be able to apply these analytical skills to any practical life situation without anyone spoon-feeding it to them...and she was serious!
To be fair, it shouldn't take a genius to file a simple tax return...
Old May 10, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
No, but people are scared of what they don't know. Taking a one hour class in grade 12 could help to demystify the process. On the other hand, it might make them think they know more than they do and lead to them missing deductions or credits (this is pretty common if the H&R Block commercials are to be believed).
Old May 10, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canopus27
I'm not a big basketball fan, so be gentle with me.

But I don't think this is looking good for the Raptors, is it?
No matter what happens, Toronto teams always "suck", even if they make the playoffs.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
No matter what happens, Toronto teams always "suck", even if they make the playoffs.
Raps need a big blow-out home win in game 7 to avoid another post-season meltdown. This series should be over by now given how poorly some of the 76ers stars have played. If Raps had more bench scoring it might've ended earlier. We'll see but am busy on Sun. so may not get to watch the game.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by pewpew
To be fair, it shouldn't take a genius to file a simple tax return...
These days it certainly doesn't in Canada. The Auto Fill My Return feature is spectacular, and gets T3/4/5 + variants, T5008, RRSP slips and a few lesson common slips. For the average return of an employee, the only things not automatically completed are donation receipt, tuition receipts and student loan interest. The latter two I expect within 2 years, but donation receipts will be a bigger project and will likely take some time.

When I started 13 years ago, even simple T1s would probably have 45-60 minutes put in between the preparer, reviewer, partner, etc... Today, those are sub-10 minutes.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I think that filing simple tax returns should be taught in high school, along with other financial literacy. I mistakenly mentioned this to a high school English teacher once and she was offended. She felt that analyzing poetry and literature taught all of the critical thinking skills that students should need and that they should be able to apply these analytical skills to any practical life situation without anyone spoon-feeding it to them...and she was serious!
I have never understood why financial literacy is not a mandatory class in school, at least for half a term.

One leaves secondary school and within a year has the ability to load up on student loans, credit cards, and car payments, and typically this is when they start doing their own taxes also.

Teach kids how/why to avoid the typical financial traps. Teach them basic tax law. Teach them how much the $5 coffee on their 20% Visa will actually cost them if they don't pay for it in the next few weeks...

Thankfully, I'm starting to hear about this at certain schools (my kids' included). I won't feel satisfied until it is government mandated curriculum.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan
My kids have had finance units in their Grade 10-12 Math classes. I haven't looked at what they actually cover though. It may be all about calculating interest payments with very little on practical applications. The sad thing is that many teachers that I know are rather bad with their own money.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
Raps need a big blow-out home win in game 7 to avoid another post-season meltdown. This series should be over by now given how poorly some of the 76ers stars have played. If Raps had more bench scoring it might've ended earlier. We'll see but am busy on Sun. so may not get to watch the game.
Yep. There's some sort of Canadian "jinx" with meltdowns... can never seem to "seal the deal."
Old May 10, 2019, 12:03 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I have never understood why financial literacy is not a mandatory class in school, at least for half a term.
I'm mostly fossilized, but I still remember Mr. Washenfelder's General Business class in Grade 9. Not only the rudiments of business and the stock market but lots of practical financial life skills, some of which I still use today.

To be fair it was an elective, but not bad for little ole YXE.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Decided to re-learn Rhapsody Op. 79. No. 2 by Brahms. Wish me luck.
smallmj likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Your ever expanding repertoire continues to amaze me. You seem to be working through my entire catalogue of classical vinyl.

One day we will find an aircraft that still has a piano bar and have the 'Recital Do'. At least until we drink too much.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Your ever expanding repertoire continues to amaze me. You seem to be working through my entire catalogue of classical vinyl.

One day we will find an aircraft that still has a piano bar and have the 'Recital Do'. At least until we drink too much.
Well, thanks, but let me remind you that I'm nowhere near a jlisi84. I guess you can call me a "failed" concert pianist.
There was a stretch of over 15 years in which I didn't touch a piano because I was turned off by it from all those harsh years of practice and torture.
But now having returned to it, I am playing out of joy. It also adds another pathway to catharsis, and keeps my brain fresh.

Perhaps I could do a recital DO one day, but really, you'd want to hear someone of the likes of jlisi84 over me.
Jebby_ca likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Just landed in YUL to a message that the friend I was meeting bailed. Boy I sure hope I can find something to do with a week in Montreal
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tepera sucks. Can't hold or barely holds.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I understand those cliffs where your net income drops, but I'm not talking about "poverty" levels where they're more common (at least in the US).

"Oh my tax rate will jump 4% if I get a raise from $135k to $140k. I don't want the raise!"

I've had colleagues at "big tech" in SF make statements like that. And these aren't dumb people. Which really makes me wonder why they think this way.
Originally Posted by smallmj
Lots of people just don't understand marginal tax rates. They might have a better clue if they did their own tax returns instead of paying somebody to do it.
Yep - they once heard someone say that if you earn over $xxx, then you have to give 50% to the government and they certainly don't want to do that
Agree with all these and more, while there are cases where a small raise may not make sense just seems crazy some people don't get the basics. I don't think I posted it before but was speaking with a colleague who didn't seem to know or care that he could get rebates on his tax return.

Meanwhile, I was going to check something but evidently I have to wait 11 hours: Due to scheduled maintenance, MyRogers will be unavailable from May 12 at 12:01am to 11:00am.
Of course, it's not down 11h every single day. So there's that. Though it hasn't worked right for ... 3 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.