Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by tcook052
Oh Raps. They couldn't hit the long ball all night and had some bad turnovers down the stretch. Raps 2-14 in game 1 of playoff series to say they're slow starters is a massive understatement.
See post #836 .
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by YYT82
See post #836 .
Lowry nets zero points in the game one loss. For a team that was so focused on the post-season all regular season, the Raps played so poorly at times they were lucky to be in it until the last minute.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
buds suck
raps choke
jays suck
go get 'em, tiger!
cbj will sweep pres trophy winners
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
"Somewhat scary one in St. Louis"
Now evened up 2-2.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
These playoffs are doing serious damage to my betting account and they're only a week old. I am doomed.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
A big part of my issue is that everyone seems to be focused on SALARY expectations.

Company A pays 100k salary and 100k stock
Company B pays 150k salary and 25k stock

I work for A, and B wants to know what salary I want. I say 125k, and they come back with the above offer.

It's a lowball, and I refuse it. They're shocked because they beat my salary expectation by 25k.
So why not state your expectations on total comp rather than base salary?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Can't believe Bolts bounced in a first round sweep. Pens almost as much.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
So why not state your expectations on total comp rather than base salary?
Well I did with the headhunter, and he expected much more stock, so we were both surprised.

But when not dealing with a headhunter, at what point in the process is it safe to make your demands known? That seems to be the big question.
maradori likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Can't believe Bolts bounced in a first round sweep. Pens almost as much.
First Pres trophy winners (tying the record!) to get swept first round, correct? Brutal.
I thought there were less, but there have been 7 or 8 pres trophy teams that won the cup the same year. Still not a lot though.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by yyznomad

First Pres trophy winners (tying the record!) to get swept first round, correct? Brutal.
I thought there were less, but there have been 7 or 8 pres trophy teams that won the cup the same year. Still not a lot though.
Please refer to post #836, I’ve laid out my reasoning for CBJ to be the favourite. People often underestimate the kind of “mind training” that the lower seeded teams go through on their way to the playoffs. For CBJ, almost every game for the final six weeks of the season was an elimination game, so they already had that mindset going into the series.

If you take a look at the Raptors-Magic series, it’s the same thing. Magic scrapped their way into the playoffs, finally making it in Game #81. Contrast that with the Raptors, comfortably in the top three seed positions for much of the final month. Even though they were still trying to win the final few games, the mindset was different as they wouldn’t be eliminated if they lost. It was no surprise Raptors lost game 1. Fortunately their star players showed up in game 2.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYT82

Please refer to post #836, I’ve laid out my reasoning for CBJ to be the favourite. People often underestimate the kind of “mind training” that the lower seeded teams go through on their way to the playoffs. For CBJ, almost every game for the final six weeks of the season was an elimination game, so they already had that mindset going into the series.

If you take a look at the Raptors-Magic series, it’s the same thing. Magic scrapped their way into the playoffs, finally making it in Game #81. Contrast that with the Raptors, comfortably in the top three seed positions for much of the final month. Even though they were still trying to win the final few games, the mindset was different as they wouldn’t be eliminated if they lost. It was no surprise Raptors lost game 1. Fortunately their star players showed up in game 2.
Ok. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just simply sports talk banter. Nothing unreasonable, IMHO.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Well I did with the headhunter, and he expected much more stock, so we were both surprised.

But when not dealing with a headhunter, at what point in the process is it safe to make your demands known? That seems to be the big question.
Depends where you are in the process. HR will only do so much and generally follow a template. They also tend to discount what is told to them because they consider it a wish list, not a actual demand/expectation. I prefer having these conversations with the hiring manager and after the other major points are covered like roles, company structure, career, etc.
Some companies do not offer a lot of latitude. I have a lot of say when I hire - around pay/comp, bonus, waiting period, etc because I run sales. There are some things that I cannot override like medical coverage, etc because they are contracts with other suppliers like the insurance companies.
So in your case maybe they do not have the flexibility to move on stock option specially if it is a large corp. As the other poster said, maybe outline total comp and offer flexibility to get there.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
Depends where you are in the process. HR will only do so much and generally follow a template. They also tend to discount what is told to them because they consider it a wish list, not a actual demand/expectation. I prefer having these conversations with the hiring manager and after the other major points are covered like roles, company structure, career, etc.
Some companies do not offer a lot of latitude. I have a lot of say when I hire - around pay/comp, bonus, waiting period, etc because I run sales. There are some things that I cannot override like medical coverage, etc because they are contracts with other suppliers like the insurance companies.
So in your case maybe they do not have the flexibility to move on stock option specially if it is a large corp. As the other poster said, maybe outline total comp and offer flexibility to get there.
I can't remember the last time I spoke with a hiring manager before an onsite interview.

And that's what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to waste a day of my life if we won't be able to come to terms on comp, time off, etc.

Not that I expect to need any of this for quite a while.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

I guess it depends on a) if you are then currently working or if not, b) just fishing or c) serious

If you aren't working, then your needs 3 months down the road might change ... no need to show your hand just yet.

If you are working, and fishing, might as well fish for something big, and move along quickly.

If you are working, and serious, then why are you serious? If its money, might as well move along from those who don't meet that. If its something more ephemeral like "culture" or "purpose" or "happiness", then get further into the process to discover that.

I suppose if the recruiter balks at your number, you could always go back with a different number. The strategy for negotiating for like a car or house is might as well be crazy, you aren't ever going to see those idiots again, anyway. Crazy gets lucky, and you can always uncrazy your number if you want it. So what if they think you are insane?

If your just negotiating with a recruiter, the worst case is you look like an idiot to them, but they don't matter past passing along a resume, anyway.
maradori likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

buds suck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.