Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:17 pm

Short ANA domestic flight and who should I come across in the entertainment guide, but one of our real-world famous FTers!
tcook052 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
buds even it and then quickly let it slip away again
buds suck
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
buds suck
They're playing better this series / this year to be fair haha.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:40 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well I did with the headhunter, and he expected much more stock, so we were both surprised.

But when not dealing with a headhunter, at what point in the process is it safe to make your demands known? That seems to be the big question.
I think it depends partly on how happy you are where you are now/how interested you are in taking the job. A very wise ex-colleague of mine, who has been working a lot longer than I have, once told me that if someone is coming after you and you're somewhat interested but not really looking to move, may as well get compensation expectations out in the open very early on. Something like "I'm interested in this opportunity, but I'm happy where I am and I don't want to waste anyone's time. I would need total compensation of X to consider it worthwhile to pursue it. If we're not on the same page, it's probably best if you focus your efforts on other candidates". [The "X" in total comp can be specific or general, could include salary/bonus split, comments on guaranteed bonuses, whatever is relevant to the situation]

He says this approach has worked well for him. Sometimes it has ended the discussions quickly because the numbers weren't in the ballpark and saved a lot of time. But he says it has never put off anyone who was actually in the right area on comp.

I've only done it once or twice, and it has worked fine for me.

buds suck
You think the Leafs are bad? Flames were the 2nd best team in the league this year, best in the West, and they've looked like an AHL squad in three consecutive games. Even worse, in two of those games, they had the lead with less than three minutes to go and threw it away.

It didn't help tonight that the refs let Colorado get away with hooking and holding like it was 1997, and the Backlund call that led to the tying PPG was inconsistent with the let-them-play attitude for the first 57 minutes or so, but the Flames still deserved to lose.

I don't know why I ever had faith in this team that has won a grand total of four playoff series in the last 30 years.
tcook052 and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You think the Leafs are bad? Flames were the 2nd best team in the league this year, best in the West, and they've looked like an AHL squad in three consecutive games. Even worse, in two of those games, they had the lead with less than three minutes to go and threw it away.

It didn't help tonight that the refs let Colorado get away with hooking and holding like it was 1997, and the Backlund call that led to the tying PPG was inconsistent with the let-them-play attitude for the first 57 minutes or so, but the Flames still deserved to lose.

I don't know why I ever had faith in this team that has won a grand total of four playoff series in the last 30 years.
Well, OK, fine if you put it that way...

Was venting in my own centre of the universe bubble ( ), but yes, would be a shame this year that the flames might go down (sadly) in... flames.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
How's this for a stat: if Flames lose this series it'll be the very first time the top team in both East & West lose in opening round.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a game at Bell MTS.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is brutal; I can't watch.
Feels like yesterday's game at MTS.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
buds suck
Buds rock!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canopus27
Buds rock!
Nah, this is like déjà vu all over again; a false sense of security that they are good at building up.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Nah, this is like déjà vu all over again; a false sense of security that they are good at building up.
LOL

That's your optimistic side coming out
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canopus27
LOL

That's your optimistic side coming out

Now it's do or die for the Flames.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

Now it's do or die for the Flames.
Go Avs! Johnny Hockey just missed a breakaway and Avs come back and score to make it 2-0. Poor Flames. .
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Go Avs! Johnny Hockey just missed a breakaway and Avs come back and score to make it 2-0. Poor Flames. .
Lol. Not his night. Now the goalie interference call.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Regardless, full marks to Flames Fans.

Sea of Reds Fanning the Flames Forward - say that 3x fast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.