Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I have never understood why financial literacy is not a mandatory class in school, at least for half a term.

One leaves secondary school and within a year has the ability to load up on student loans, credit cards, and car payments, and typically this is when they start doing their own taxes also.

Teach kids how/why to avoid the typical financial traps. Teach them basic tax law. Teach them how much the $5 coffee on their 20% Visa will actually cost them if they don't pay for it in the next few weeks...

Thankfully, I'm starting to hear about this at certain schools (my kids' included). I won't feel satisfied until it is government mandated curriculum.
The problem with this is that kids don't care about money when they are in school, because they don't have any of it. You could tell them about personal finance until they're blue in the face, and none of it would really have any meaning until they actually start managing their own money, which could be close to a decade from Grade 9. They actually DO teach a lot of financial minutiae in high school, including how to compute mortgage amortization tables (how many adults who actually have a mortgage and consider themselves good with money could do that without assistance?). Nonetheless, if you go on personal finance forums you'll find grown adults asking very, very basic financial questions that could be answered in 5 minutes with a simple Google search. I once dated someone who, despite having a very successful technical career, did not know how to read a credit card statement (she would just pay the full balance every week because she didn't understand how it worked and was afraid of incurring interest).

The best you can hope to do is to instill good basic math skills, the ability to reason well and do research. With these tools kids will be able to get on the internet and find the answers they need, when they need them. Or sit down with Excel and reason out a financial decision with basic math. The saddest thing I see is adults who simply don't have the patience or reading comprehension to find information that is clearly written on government websites (for instance about taxes).
Old May 12, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'll take the highest tax bracket possible please
Be careful what you wish for. I got bumped into the 37% tax bracket and ended up needing to use two credit cards to pay it off (the 20 day float helps too, since I don't have enough cashflow to pay it off at once)
Old May 12, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I still have friends who are afraid of credit cards or / and refuse to have one or use it.

I only regret years I spent with cards that got me nothing or even using cash and debit. If I’m buying anything I want to be getting something back because.. why not?
Old May 12, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by maradori
Be careful what you wish for. I got bumped into the 37% tax bracket and ended up needing to use two credit cards to pay it off (the 20 day float helps too, since I don't have enough cashflow to pay it off at once)
Wait what? You do know how only pay 37% on the top x of your earnings. Or are you saying you didn’t realize and do your own tax stuff month to month so ended up short at years end? Most companies will auto deduct right amount of tax (except for mine but that’s a long story and I just monitor it thru the year via one of the many available calculators)
canopus27 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
CRA generally doesn't come after you aggressively for payment. I think I owe them now about $5k (shrinking annually) and they don't bother me at all.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Jays are brutal. (Not a shocker but still...)
All four of their hits in the first 2.1 innings and then nothing for the rest of the game.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Ugh have bad feeling about this gm7
Old May 12, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Holy crap what a game.
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by jc94
Wait what? You do know how only pay 37% on the top x of your earnings. Or are you saying you didn’t realize and do your own tax stuff month to month so ended up short at years end? Most companies will auto deduct right amount of tax (except for mine but that’s a long story and I just monitor it thru the year via one of the many available calculators)
I sold a bunch of stock options and the withholding was massively incorrect. I had a suspicion I owe tax guesstimated it would be around 20k, 30 max -- which, while painful, is something I can pay off with a bit of effort and temporarily downgrading my standard of living.

But the Trump tax law changes weren't sufficient to counter the even moar powerful-er obama taxes (3.9% net investment income tax + 0.9% obamacare tax -- thanks obama ). 50k is a much more daunting dollar amount to owe than 20k ugh

Originally Posted by RangerNS
CRA generally doesn't come after you aggressively for payment. I think I owe them now about $5k (shrinking annually) and they don't bother me at all.
haha considering the median US income is 56K and I owe 50K, I'm sure the IRS will be a bit more aggressive than the CRA about wanting me to pay up to pay for 90% of a tax drone's salary LOL
Old May 12, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
haha considering the median US income is 56K and I owe 50K, I'm sure the IRS will be a bit more aggressive than the CRA about wanting me to pay up to pay for 90% of a tax drone's salary LOL
Well, less personally sure, but I suspect its the same theory. They have the money on paper when they issued the assessment. Fraud neither would take lightly too, but if its just debt (and not bad faith), they have realized the income. Actually collecting it is less important...
Old May 12, 2019, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Holy crap what a game.
What a bounce to win the series!
Old May 13, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
1) Raps game ending was insane - I don’t know how I didn’t wake up the kid in the apartment below me.

Last edited by tcook052; May 13, 2019 at 7:55 am Reason: Off topic
Old May 13, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Holy crap what a game.
And what a ending. In Orlando last night with a very large crowd of Canadians screaming in the NBC bar on Citywalk.
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:36 pm

I sold a bunch of stock options and the withholding was massively incorrect. I had a suspicion I owe tax guesstimated it would be around 20k, 30 max -- which, while painful, is something I can pay off with a bit of effort and temporarily downgrading my standard of living.

But the Trump tax law changes weren't sufficient to counter the even moar powerful-er obama taxes (3.9% net investment income tax + 0.9% obamacare tax -- thanks obama ). 50k is a much more daunting dollar amount to owe than 20k ugh

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Well, less personally sure, but I suspect its the same theory. They have the money on paper when they issued the assessment. Fraud neither would take lightly too, but if its just debt (and not bad faith), they have realized the income. Actually collecting it is less important...
Ah yes, I suspect the amount has an impact too but as long as the individual is willing to pay it, making a reasonable effort and not trying to intentionally defraud the govt they will hopefully be reasonable. A friend owed about $2k which is clearly much less, and they were pretty good about it. Good luck ...
Old May 14, 2019, 10:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
AC's medical director gave a talk to McGill med students on aviation med yesterday... Which I crashed. Totally worth it

My takeaway: if I plan on dying on a flight within Canada, I should fly Air Transat, followed by AC. Outside of Canada, apparently LX/LH is the way to go (or EK: if you're sick enough and on a 380, they'll sit you down in the onboard lounge to recuperate )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.