Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
GPs as a family doc? How did you get talking to this person and then about FT?
Lol - her skills were pretty good, but I don't think I'd trust an Air Canada galley person as my GP!

Flyertalk somehow came up during our chat...
Old May 8, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Can someone who has contact please tell @24left that her absence is noticeable and contributions missed?
SteadyAT, ffsim, jasdou and 1 others like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Can someone who has contact please tell @24left that her absence is noticeable and contributions missed?
I think you just did with your tag.

But yeah I have been trying to get @24left to resume the valuable contributions.
ffsim and smallmj like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
When your almost teenage daughter asks how great she sounds playing the tenor sax she has practiced for at least 12 hours of her life, she does not actually want an honest answer nor does she want any helpful tips. One should liken this question to your spouse asking "how do I look in this outfit?"

She'll stop crying eventually and then we can all go along blissfully ignoring the dying goose in the basement.
My daughter played the baritone horn (like a mini tuba) for a couple of years until the school band folded. For the first while we referred to it as "Bart, Bart the whale fart." Things will improve - hopefully. Though the french horn player in her band never advanced past dreadful.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The toughest part with wind instruments is getting the right embouchure (not a shocker). I think it took me half a year to get my Alto Sax to sound respectable enough to be accepted into my high school junior band and Jazz "A" band.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by smallmj
My daughter played the baritone horn (like a mini tuba) for a couple of years until the school band folded. For the first while we referred to it as "Bart, Bart the whale fart." Things will improve - hopefully. Though the french horn player in her band never advanced past dreadful.
She'd have to actually practice sometimes for things to improve. I'm a bit of a stern father I guess, and I have threatened to email her teacher and ask him to give her a failing grade - not that kids in BC are actually issued grades anymore. Not because she's bad at it; if she practiced hard and remained terrible I'd live with it. She just doesn't practice.

She is a very intelligent kid who does mostly senior high school level subjects so not used to something not coming very easily to her. I've tried to explain to her that it takes hundreds and hundreds of hours to even start sounding decent with an instrument.

Lastly - you got a song stuck in my head...

"I bought a french horn and I wanted to play it in spite of my neighbours who begged me to stop..."
Old May 9, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
When I was in high school band, my mother made me practice my trombone outside in the yard - fortunately we lived in the country with no close neighbours! On the bright side, a sax does actually sound nice once you figure out how to play it...unlike a trombone, baritone or tuba.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
We had musical instruments for a bit in Grade 7, and a supply music teacher. She wouldn't let me play anything with a reed since I had braces, so I had to play the flute (disaster) and then the trumpet (also disaster). I finally got dumped on the "bells" which is a fancy word for xylophone.

By the time our real teacher came back, she was like "what on earth? reed instruments make the most sense for people with braces."

At that point, it was too far along in the year to not get off the bells. So I just stuck with it with the plan I'd transition to the oboe or saxophone in Grade 8... and then the next year they cancelled music. We still had our religion teacher (Ontario Catholic system), because god forbid they cut that, but music was apparently an easy target.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Speaking of French Horns, it reminds me of the punchline to one of my favourite jokes:

... well, his kissing wasn't that good, but I loved the way he held me
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by meagicano
We had musical instruments for a bit in Grade 7, and a supply music teacher. She wouldn't let me play anything with a reed since I had braces, so I had to play the flute (disaster) and then the trumpet (also disaster). I finally got dumped on the "bells" which is a fancy word for xylophone.

By the time our real teacher came back, she was like "what on earth? reed instruments make the most sense for people with braces."

At that point, it was too far along in the year to not get off the bells. So I just stuck with it with the plan I'd transition to the oboe or saxophone in Grade 8... and then the next year they cancelled music. We still had our religion teacher (Ontario Catholic system), because god forbid they cut that, but music was apparently an easy target.
If you're going to the trouble of attending a Catholic school, wouldn't religion be the "most important" class?
Old May 9, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you're going to the trouble of attending a Catholic school, wouldn't religion be the "most important" class?
Ugh. I blame my parents. All the teachers had to be Catholic... they could have done it.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not quite. My kids go and have gone to Catholic school. The high school happens to be one of the better schools in the area if not the best so we lucked out. There are a ton of non-catholics (Hindu, Sikh, Muslims, other Christian denominations) who also chose this school just because its good even though they know its Catholic. So they put up with the Catholic stuff just to get a better school. And for the record I am Catholic :-)
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat

Oh, thanks. I had blocked my oboe experience out for decades. That was my first instrument and I was utterly useless at it, eventually switched to trombone where I was slightly better.

I hope the oboe nightmares don't come back.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE

I played the flute the entire time I had braces on...
Old May 9, 2019, 3:00 pm

Ugh. I blame my parents. All the teachers had to be Catholic... they could have done it.
Originally Posted by vernonc
Not quite. My kids go and have gone to Catholic school. The high school happens to be one of the better schools in the area if not the best so we lucked out. There are a ton of non-catholics (Hindu, Sikh, Muslims, other Christian denominations) who also chose this school just because its good even though they know its Catholic. So they put up with the Catholic stuff just to get a better school. And for the record I am Catholic :-)
The city I had my childhood in is in SW Ontario. There the Catholic board was as large as the public board. I am a non-Catholic but attended Catholic school. There were kids of all colours and creeds there and none of us were too religious. I asked my parents about it some years ago - why the Catholic school? It was as simple as the public school in our neighbourhood not having a great reputation. I guess I lived on the wrong side of the tracks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.