Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by meagicano

My seething jealousy manifests itself as hate for people who can sleep on planes. Especially ones who can zone out during that kind of delay...
Haha that would be me too. I have been known to fall asleep before we leave the gate.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Buds tanking. Caps visiting next.

AS break might help. They have over a week off after Caps.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Buds tanking. Caps visiting next.

AS break might help. They have over a week off after Caps.
Watch the Raps for a while till the Buds get their act together again
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by meagicano

My seething jealousy manifests itself as hate for people who can sleep on planes. Especially ones who can zone out during that kind of delay...
It all depends on how sleepy I am. I cant sleep on AC15 after lunch, but I have no problem sleeping on AC8.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by songsc

It all depends on how sleepy I am. I cant sleep on AC15 after lunch, but I have no problem sleeping on AC8.
I've never gotten a full night on a redeye... but I am usually a lowly Y traveller. We'll see what happens in June during my redeye from LIM...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I went to get the screen protector on my brand new phone applied. They told me to keep my case off for 24 hours. 4 hours later, it fell out of my pocket, and now my beautiful new S9 has a crack on the back
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by pewpew
I went to get the screen protector on my brand new phone applied. They told me to keep my case off for 24 hours. 4 hours later, it fell out of my pocket, and now my beautiful new S9 has a crack on the back
You had to keep your case off for 24h after applying a screen cover? Ive never done that.

Will the case cover the crack? A friend sat on his phone and bent it, work said its not critical... he found putting into a case means its no longer bent.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
Watch the Raps for a while till the Buds get their act together again
Kings tonight. Won't be able to watch though.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94

You had to keep your case off for 24h after applying a screen cover? Ive never done that.

Will the case cover the crack? A friend sat on his phone and bent it, work said its not critical... he found putting into a case means its no longer bent.
Apparently you're supposed to do that for liquid screen protectors. A case will cover the crack, but it's definitely still not ideal to have it there (I suspect this kills the water protection). Hopefully my amex will cover the cost of a repair even though I bought it on a Koodo tab and only paid 70 upfront...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Apparently you're supposed to do that for liquid screen protectors. A case will cover the crack, but it's definitely still not ideal to have it there (I suspect this kills the water protection). Hopefully my amex will cover the cost of a repair even though I bought it on a Koodo tab and only paid 70 upfront...
I've haven't put a screen protector of any type on my phone for several years now ... I had an S7, now an S9 ... and I've never had a problem. I do have a phone case, but for the glass my sense has been that the Gorilla Glass is so robust these days that a screen protector is unnecessary.

Would love to hear what others do with their phones.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Good point about water, hope its covered.

Originally Posted by canopus27
I've haven't put a screen protector of any type on my phone for several years now ... I had an S7, now an S9 ... and I've never had a problem. I do have a phone case, but for the glass my sense has been that the Gorilla Glass is so robust these days that a screen protector is unnecessary.

Would love to hear what others do with their phones.
Good question. Ive smashed one and scratched badly a number of screen protectors so always use one. But even the $10 glass protectors are a far cry from actual gorilla glass so hard to know if any actual damage would have occurred.

That said, I still see pretty battered screens around fairly regularly. Case wise I use the Speck, costly but worth it given how often I drop it. Especially as I expensed it last time
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by canopus27
I've haven't put a screen protector of any type on my phone for several years now ... I had an S7, now an S9 ... and I've never had a problem..
Me neither, never had a problem with my S6 without screen protector in 2-years. I do use a Spigen case that's save me a few times.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
Me neither, never had a problem with my S6 without screen protector in 2-years. I do use a Spigen case that's save me a few times.
Oh I do love my Spigen case
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:34 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I just don't drop my phone!

Seriously, I go naked - no case, no screen protector. But then I like small and thin when it comes to phones, so haven't really wanted to add anything that bulks it up.

As with all things, other approaches are available.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I use a case, but no screen protector.

I started using cases after an incident at YYZ that resulted in a shattered screen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.