Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:46 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Every time I am in an Uber virtually anywhere in the world as I am presently, I want to send Horgan a piece of hate mail.
I feel the same every time I'm wandering around downtown, looking for a cab to complete my journey to my friend's place in the West End after getting off the train. Or having to Google Vancouver cab companies to take me back to my hotel or the airport after I've been out and about, then trying to explain where I am and facing a variable wait time.

Perhaps a neutered version by next year. Will require class 4 license and rumour is they will not be allowed to charge less than taxis and may have the same territorial restrictions presently in place for cabs.

Ridiculous.
Shocking that it's going to be so half-assed.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:11 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I have a Tweet template that I use almost every time I arrive back home and there's no cabs at YVR (and of course no Uber). It copies the minister responsible for our wonderful, made in BC, real-soon-now Uber/Lyft policy, the Premier, the Leader of the Opposition and a ride sharing group.

But I'd really like not having to send these at some point. Sigh.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
An app that lets you order and track it live is still a massive improvement over the couple times I've ordered one and been told "it's coming".
You mean Uber’s system? I don’t find it that accurate, especially downtown where it’s been known to go from 5 mins up to 10 mins and yo-yo like that.

Overall yes it’s better... but at least if your cab doesn’t turn up you don’t have to fight Uber to get a $5 refund for wasted time.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Ugh. How is it that people can get to a point for working for a real job but have no adulting skills?

(a) until the merge happens, we are two different companies who must operate as different companies. The SEC does not like collusion. People would go to jail for not-operating as different companies
(b) the small group of executives working on the merger can't tell you anything because (a). They are for sure aware of the risk of going to jail.
(c) that question is not an exception to (b)
(d) that question also is not an exception to (b)
(e) that question also is not an exception to (b)
(f) that question also is not an exception to (b)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Ugh. How is it that people can get to a point for working for a real job but have no adulting skills?
Don't even get me started on adulting skills... I head up campus (MBA) recruiting for my company and I am constantly surprised at how these supposedly experienced professionals behave when trying to find a job. MBAs should have had enough work experience that basic adulting has been mastered.

Things like... not returning e-mails after asking for a favour, not following clearly laid out directions, making very inappropriate comments to company representatives, etc. I had one candidate basically turn into a stalker trying to reach me after we didn't bring him in for a second round interview - and that was after I explicitly told him I couldn't comment on his candidacy until after the entire process was complete.

Oh and there's one guy whose LinkedIn photo is him wearing sunglasses and looking like a total "party bro". He asked me for advice when I met him during that program's orientation week on how to best position himself for a job. He ignored all of the advice and then had the program contact me directly for feedback on why he didn't get asked to an interview.

This is one of the many factors why I drink.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Waterloo engineering intern interview:

"What do you know about the company?"
"Uhhhhh... not much"

So I explained what we do.

"Why do you want to work here?"
"I have some friends that interned there and I heard you have a really awesome bar"

If they'd been technically good, it might have been a tough call (or at least a debate). Luckily, they weren't, so it was an easy one.

Meanwhile, I started receiving clearly automated (but made to look real) from a hiring manager about 2 weeks after I declined his offer (we couldn't agree on compensation). "Your profile looks interesting" etc. And I kept getting follow-ups.

So the bad behavior exists on both sides of the hiring process.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Waterloo engineering intern interview:

"What do you know about the company?"
"Uhhhhh... not much"

So I explained what we do.

"Why do you want to work here?"
"I have some friends that interned there and I heard you have a really awesome bar"
Cow, tell me there is some poetic license being exercised here. An interviewee didn’t ACTUALLY list the bar as his top reason to work there, right?

if he/she/they did then I have even less hope for my children’s future than I did 3 minutes ago.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Cow, tell me there is some poetic license being exercised here. An interviewee didn’t ACTUALLY list the bar as his top reason to work there, right?

if he/she/they did then I have even less hope for my children’s future than I did 3 minutes ago.
I also conduct extensive interviews for clients; this sort of thing does happen from time to time.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
A recent recruitment experience for me:

Phone screen
HR: "This is our pay band"
Me: "We're in the right ballpark but that is a bit low, I just want to let you know now you'll have to go higher than that if/when we get to that point"

1st interview
Me: "As I mentioned on the phone, the high end of that is less than I'm looking for, so we probably shouldn't continue further unless you are willing to go higher"
HR: "OK"

2nd interview: "This is our pay band" (same numbers)
Me: "I'm interested in this position, but that's too low and not competitive for this type of position."

Offer (high end of original pay band)
Me: "Here is my counter offer."
HR: "Sorry, we absolutely can't go any higher."
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I also conduct extensive interviews for clients; this sort of thing does happen from time to time.
Perhaps they don’t actually want the job? Can people, regardless of age, really be that stupid?

Mind you, some of the twentysomethings I work with in my various locations leave my jaw on the floor sometimes. Particularly bad in North America but Europe isn’t too far behind.

We should petition for a mandatory 12th grade course called “Adulting: How to be less of an idiot than you are today”
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Perhaps they don’t actually want the job? Can people, regardless of age, really be that stupid?

Mind you, some of the twentysomethings I work with in my various locations leave my jaw on the floor sometimes. Particularly bad in North America but Europe isn’t too far behind.

We should petition for a mandatory 12th grade course called “Adulting: How to be less of an idiot than you are today”
From my personal experiences as the resume screener and interviewer, I think it's more inexperience and a lack of soft skills for those only a few years in. Even those who are competent at "Adulting" may not necessarily have the best soft skills. I think the two are related, with the former being a loose subset of the latter. Those with 10+ years of relevant professional experience, or have an advanced degree like an MBA tend to have better soft skills, but even with that, you get some less soft-skill savvy candidates. This is a generalization, but I think you get the gist. In case you're wondering, I've interviewed approximately 300 candidates for at least six previous clients over the last 15 years, in different industries, for various technical, non-technical, junior, senior, and management positions. I always assist clients in authoring job descriptions and the such.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by eigenvector
A recent recruitment experience for me:

Phone screen
Me: "We're in the right ballpark but that is a bit low, I just want to let you know now you'll have to go higher than that if/when we get to that point"

1st interview
Me: "As I mentioned on the phone, the high end of that is less than I'm looking for, so we probably shouldn't continue further unless you are willing to go higher"
HR: "OK"

2nd interview: "This is our pay band" (same numbers)
Me: "I'm interested in this position, but that's too low and not competitive for this type of position."

Offer (high end of original pay band)
Me: "Here is my counter offer."
HR: "Sorry, we absolutely can't go any higher."
As my last two job offers were provided to me when I was into EI, and also 20% and 50% higher then my then previous jobs, my personal salary negotiating skills consist of saying "yes".

With that said, absent some massive change in life structure, and I was looking for change, rather then just fishing around, if my current number was higher then their high end band right off the first phone call, I'd say my minimal need, which would be no less than 120% of my current level.

If they say impossible, I'd stop talking to them. Some companies simply do not have room to change. Government for sure does not have room to change.

I rarely look at, let alone post to, linked in. But I have a status update essentially saying: recruiters, do not "talk" to me. Send me a link to a job listing; I'll apply or not. Do not ask me for my "resume", look at my profile; if we get further, I'll updated it with current information, or not.

I don't have enough time to waste on keeping someone else's funnel full when I know I won't pop out the end (or want to).
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

No, that was pretty much verbatim. One of three intern interviews that stand out to me (of 100+).

I'm much more surprised this happened at UW. They have a few seminars on the topic in 1A, and they have tons of free counseling, resume-writing sessions, interview prep sessions, etc.

It was annoying because we get 500+ applications for ~10 positions, so we only interview ~50, meaning this person took a spot away from one of 450 other people who may have actually wanted the job for sane reasons.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by RangerNS
As my last two job offers were provided to me when I was into EI, and also 20% and 50% higher then my then previous jobs, my personal salary negotiating skills consist of saying "yes".

With that said, absent some massive change in life structure, and I was looking for change, rather then just fishing around, if my current number was higher then their high end band right off the first phone call, I'd say my minimal need, which would be no less than 120% of my current level.

If they say impossible, I'd stop talking to them. Some companies simply do not have room to change. Government for sure does not have room to change.

I rarely look at, let alone post to, linked in. But I have a status update essentially saying: recruiters, do not "talk" to me. Send me a link to a job listing; I'll apply or not. Do not ask me for my "resume", look at my profile; if we get further, I'll updated it with current information, or not.

I don't have enough time to waste on keeping someone else's funnel full when I know I won't pop out the end (or want to).
That's all good advice and I've certainly learned from this to get more aggressive with salary expectations sooner in the process to avoid wasting everyone's time.

Previously, my job searches have been of "I need a new job right now" variety, which as you noted does not lend itself to negotiating salary. My current job was a jump up in seniority so it came with a significant pay increase without having to demand anything.

With regard to government, I have no idea how they hire anyone at all since not only does their recruiting process take up to and exceeding a year (I once got an offer from the BC government around 18 months after the initial application/interview process), but even after accounting for DB pension benefits their salaries for engineers seem to be at no more than 70% of market rates.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
That's all good advice and I've certainly learned from this to get more aggressive with salary expectations sooner in the process to avoid wasting everyone's time.

Previously, my job searches have been of "I need a new job right now" variety, which as you noted does not lend itself to negotiating salary. My current job was a jump up in seniority so it came with a significant pay increase without having to demand anything.

With regard to government, I have no idea how they hire anyone at all since not only does their recruiting process take up to and exceeding a year (I once got an offer from the BC government around 18 months after the initial application/interview process), but even after accounting for DB pension benefits their salaries for engineers seem to be at no more than 70% of market rates.
Having met a few Government engineers, a lot of them wouldn't cut it at jobs that pay 100% of market rates. The others liked the work/life balance, and the ability to retire with their full pension after... 35 years? No one goes there for the money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.