Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I need a new job.

I turned down my last offer because we couldn't come to terms on vacation (sum of paid and unpaid - they just wouldn't give me the time I wanted), so now I have to start asking those questions earlier.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:03 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I need a new job.

I turned down my last offer because we couldn't come to terms on vacation (sum of paid and unpaid - they just wouldn't give me the time I wanted), so now I have to start asking those questions earlier.
Always good to understand what's important to you. You'll regret if you feel you gave when they didn't and it's tough to negotiate after the fact.

Total comp is total comp - salary, equity, bonus, vacation, title, work at home - it's all part of the equation. As my Grandpa used to say: "If it's worth having, it's worth asking for.".

Good luck with the hunt!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I forgot how much I hated dating until I started dating again...
maradori and smallmj like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by pewpew
I don't miss that at all. A friend of mine once said that flirting is fun. I disagreed and said that flirting is really stressful.

I'm been married for 20 years and counting. I hope that my wife outlives me (and keeps putting up with me).
eigenvector likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
I don’t have the energy for dating right now. Ugh.

Big news this morning! Snowiest January on record in Ottawa... I need to talk to my job about stepping up my efforts to find some project work in less snowy places.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
While amusing, I doubt its veracity.

No one in the class actually understood the issue through other sources such that EVERYONE depended on the notes taken by one person?
This reminds me of how we had one guy who marked papers who used to mark those of a certain person first and then use that as the guide for everyone elses. I'd never seen anyone get 99% of a course (and he didn't get 100% of the coursework that made part of that) that required essays until I met this guy - and for reference, in the UK 99% on something essay based is basically impossible. 70-80% is considered top.

But there were so many examples of a few key people in my classes where one person would do the work and there would be a gaggle of people copying it - in the middle of the lab. To try and combat that they starting a process whereby your coursework (which was about 40% of the course if memory serves) was capped at double your exam mark. So if you got 40% in the exam, your max coursework allowance was 80%, which at a 60/40 exam split would give you a mark of 56% instead of 64% if my brain is working. Didn't seem to make a huge difference, fortunately I only had a couple of courses where it was likely to make an impact.

Writing code in exams is always an interesting experience. I think a locked/moderated PC (like access to whatever official website is relevant) and a challenge to do 'x' with only that site as a resource would be a far more accurate representation of my skills than writing out code on paper for hours. And I got some extremely good marks in my programming courses; I just didn't do as well with some of the computational, theoretical and math based modules.

I need a new job.

I assume you are still employed but unhappy with a generic unhappiness about you wanting x days off unpaid in addition to whatever you get paid. I really have no suggestions about finding work in your area I fear, but good luck.

Originally Posted by smallmj
I don't miss that at all. A friend of mine once said that flirting is fun. I disagreed and said that flirting is really stressful.

I'm been married for 20 years and counting. I hope that my wife outlives me (and keeps putting up with me).
Flirting is one thing, dating is another. I did get a huge amount of (evil I know) enjoyment last week when someone I dated briefly, that ended poorly, had a poor experience which was relayed to me that said.
It's the games... I don't do games and maybe that's the reason I am currently single.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@pewpew

What do you hate about it?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@pewpew

Must be the hard work involved :-)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Rumors of Raps interested in Anthony Davis. That would certainly bring them the Eastern Conf but what would they have to give up in return ? Gut the team I suspect.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
Rumors of Raps interested in Anthony Davis. That would certainly bring them the Eastern Conf but what would they have to give up in return ? Gut the team I suspect.
Luckily Raps have a good bench core that can step up as starters... so probably an area where they can afford to lose someone while still going "all in" and not giving away the future with multiple draft picks (and cash?).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: TK *G
Or maybe the outcome
pewpew likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
This reminds me of how we had one guy who marked papers who used to mark those of a certain person first and then use that as the guide for everyone elses. I'd never seen anyone get 99% of a course (and he didn't get 100% of the coursework that made part of that) that required essays until I met this guy - and for reference, in the UK 99% on something essay based is basically impossible. 70-80% is considered top.

But there were so many examples of a few key people in my classes where one person would do the work and there would be a gaggle of people copying it - in the middle of the lab. To try and combat that they starting a process whereby your coursework (which was about 40% of the course if memory serves) was capped at double your exam mark. So if you got 40% in the exam, your max coursework allowance was 80%, which at a 60/40 exam split would give you a mark of 56% instead of 64% if my brain is working. Didn't seem to make a huge difference, fortunately I only had a couple of courses where it was likely to make an impact.
I had a few courses that were something like 60/40 exam/coursework, UNLESS you failed the exam, in which case it switched to 90/10.

Originally Posted by jc94
I assume you are still employed but unhappy with a generic unhappiness about you wanting x days off unpaid in addition to whatever you get paid. I really have no suggestions about finding work in your area I fear, but good luck.
No, that's not a concern at my current job. It was just the main reason I declined an offer I had for a new job. There are other issues with the current one.

And "my area" is an interesting topic. I've been doing Android apps since before I graduated. The last company I interviewed with does not do any mobile, nor will they ever. My area is software.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
@Cow: stick it out 3-4Q's. There are going to be a bunch of geeks with $190*[a bunch] flush with real cash and not just theoretical value. At least some will also be angry.

Hell of a startup breeding ground.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
And "my area" is an interesting topic. I've been doing Android apps since before I graduated. The last company I interviewed with does not do any mobile, nor will they ever. My area is software.
I meant your geographical area
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@pewpew

Well...

​When you're in class 8-7/8, volunteer, exercise, and work on multiple research projects (and don't drink) it's hard to meet women

Originally Posted by songsc

Or maybe the outcome
And when I do meet a woman I like, they inevitably ghost me within a week . I miss undergrad. I probably got ghosted just as much, but at least new women came along pretty quickly

​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.