Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I imagine there ain't no shortage of words in the dictionary that are present only because of humanity's insistence on using them.
English words. The English dictionary is descriptive of the English language. We have neither an angle academy or bill 178 to proscribe to us us how to talk..

"Irregardless" is a perfectly cormulant word. New words embiggens the mind.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by RangerNS
English words. The English dictionary is descriptive of the English language. We have neither an angle academy or bill 178 to proscribe to us us how to talk..

@taupo, get your thesaurus
taupo likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:38 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I will go and watch it irregardless (I fully intend to use this word as often as possible as I hear it's wildly popular among the FT elite) but I'm interested in opinions all the same.
I don't know about FT elites, but I think most intelligent people are against that word because it's dumb, just like people using "literally" to mean the exact opposite of what it's supposed to mean. Evolution of language can be useful - for instance, "selfie" and "emoji" have entered the lexicon relatively recently because they describe concepts that didn't exist 20 years ago - but it can also be negative. "Irregardless" is a garbage word since it's just a redundant version of "regardless"; while not necessarily harmful, it doesn't add anything. But the obliteration of "literally" has left us without a good word to clarify that an expression that may otherwise be interpreted as metaphorical or hyperbolic should be taken at face value. While this alternate, incorrect (in the view of many), usage has been around for quite some time and may be occasionally defensible as a bit of stylistic flair, its use has really exploded (not literally, of course) over the past few years and vastly diminished the value of the other meaning.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The word you're looking for is actually "cromulent". Although I strongly disagree with the cromulence of "irregardless".
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I don't know about FT elites, but I think most intelligent people are against that word because it's dumb, just like people using "literally" to mean the exact opposite of what it's supposed to mean. Evolution of language can be useful - for instance, "selfie" and "emoji" have entered the lexicon relatively recently because they describe concepts that didn't exist 20 years ago - but it can also be negative. "Irregardless" is a garbage word since it's just a redundant version of "regardless"; while not necessarily harmful, it doesn't add anything. But the obliteration of "literally" has left us without a good word to clarify that an expression that may otherwise be interpreted as metaphorical or hyperbolic should be taken at face value. While this alternate, incorrect (in the view of many), usage has been around for quite some time and may be occasionally defensible as a bit of stylistic flair, its use has really exploded (not literally, of course) over the past few years and vastly diminished the value of the other meaning.

The word you're looking for is actually "cromulent". Although I strongly disagree with the cromulence of "irregardless".
Spoken exactly like my English teacher :-)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
It was some of the best trailers I have ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzwU7dbmAyY
The actual show on the other hand...... was okay at best.....

If you are looking for some great shows (30 episodes or less) but don't want to binge 60 hours at once, below is my list
1- The Leftovers
2- Stranger Things
3- Counterpart
4- Bojack Horseman
5- Killing Eve
6- Homecoming
7- Fleabag
8- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
9- Mr.Robot
10- The Terror
I watched the first season of "the Leftovers" and fell out of sync after that.

Aside from that show... I've never seen any of those others, but I do need more to watch for my super fun 3-4 hour flights between YOW and YYZ this winter.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Breckenridge Brewery out of Colorado for fellow beer drinkers.

Currently sampling a pack.

The lager, IPA and amber ale are all common beers to be sure, but the IPA is not too heavy on the hops which I prefer, the lager holds up, and the amber ale is simply very tasty.

The vanilla porter and agave wheat are unique and delicious though.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by meagicano
I watched the first season of "the Leftovers" and fell out of sync after that.

Aside from that show... I've never seen any of those others, but I do need more to watch for my super fun 3-4 hour flights between YOW and YYZ this winter.
If you already watched the first season of the leftovers.. please continue. It will be worth it.
meagicano likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Breckenridge Brewery out of Colorado for fellow beer drinkers.

Currently sampling a pack.

The lager, IPA and amber ale are all common beers to be sure, but the IPA is not too heavy on the hops which I prefer, the lager holds up, and the amber ale is simply very tasty.

The vanilla porter and agave wheat are unique and delicious though.
Where are you sampling it? Not sure I've ever seen anything from them for sale in Alberta, but I'm intrigued by vanilla porter.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Where are you sampling it? Not sure I've ever seen anything from them for sale in Alberta, but I'm intrigued by vanilla porter.
I am in MD at present. Had never seen it before so thought I’d give it a go.

Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Agreed the Breckenridge vanilla porter is quite good. It seems to widely distributed across the US, I was drinking it in Texas last month.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:15 pm

Had some hours free today and thought I'd go see a movie. I saw Cold Pursuit.

Don't.

C'est affreux.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:36 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Had some hours free today and thought I'd go see a movie. I saw Cold Pursuit.

Don't.

C'est affreux.
Don't you just hate overly wordy and ambiguous movie reviews?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Don't you just hate overly wordy and ambiguous movie reviews?
Y
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
What do you guys do when you feel like you are burned out from the work? (esp when you are in IBanking or Consulting where hours are inherently long)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Tell your manager you want a seven figure stock grant or you're quitting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.