Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I use the same Concur app which is why I'm basically mocking myself. There is simply no excuse for it. Why do I stuff the receipt in my pocket rather than just taking a picture of it?

As previously stated - because I am an idiot.
Glad we got that cleared up :-)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
Are you like the Costco shopper who walks 2 miles for a hour and a half in Costco and then does not have the energy to return the cart 10 ft away :-).
YVR security did throw away my perfume bottle because it was more than 100ml bottle never mind that there was less than a thimble full left. She said it was a size of the bottle rule, not the actual contents. I said they should throw everyone's empty water bottles out too in that case.
At least you were not asked to drink it.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:43 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I use the same Concur app which is why I'm basically mocking myself. There is simply no excuse for it. Why do I stuff the receipt in my pocket rather than just taking a picture of it?

As previously stated - because I am an idiot.
I have the Concur app as well, but find the document scanning subpar at best, especially compared to other apps. I tend to scan my receipts on the plane. Otherwise I just end up with 6 envelopes of receipts and expense claims that are months behind.

I'd prefer not to short term finance my employer, but seem to do it through neglect anyway.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Are you like the Costco shopper who walks 2 miles for a hour and a half in Costco and then does not have the energy to return the cart 10 ft away :-).
YVR security did throw away my perfume bottle because it was more than 100ml bottle never mind that there was less than a thimble full left. She said it was a size of the bottle rule, not the actual contents. I said they should throw everyone's empty water bottles out too in that case.
I believe it’s no fluid is any container that exceeds 100ml / 3.4oz.

That said I nearly always finish most of my water bottle just before I get there and certainly taken a thimble or so through before. I’ve also taken a half full bottle through by mistake though (and not a word was said - though they then laid into the bloke behind me for trying to do it).

The thing that gets me at Costco is the people who wait 5 mins for a parking spot that’s 50’ closer to the store. Even when it’s not sub 30 outside.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
I am actually very responsible about my use of shopping carts. I always return them.

When I was in the military I always had people asking me for help in reading and interpreting policy. I'm one of those annoying people who knows what the policy says... but I'm also one of those annoying people who knows just how far I can stretch things. The liquids ban is total BS security theatre, so when someone who doesn't even know the official policy wants me to toss something that is clearly within policy I tend to politely suggest they refer to the policy.

It's YOW's fault for not having the Nexus line open.
vernonc likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by meagicano
......The liquids ban is total BS security theatre.......
And we have a winner !!!!!!!!! Everyone from governments, TSA/CATSA/etc to pax, all know it.

But keeping all those people employed requires compliance on the part of those of us who have to put up with the ones in the blue gloves who have no idea what they are looking for, let alone being able to determine that by sniffing the 5gm tube of toothpaste that is in AC's amenity kit, we are all safer.
jc94 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
It's YOW's fault for not having the Nexus line open.
The Nexus line at YOW is mostly a waste of time these days. I think the last 3 times I took the priority line for regular security and probably saved 5 minutes each time.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Ahem. This is not the venue for lengthy discussions about CATSA or airport Trusted Traveler set-ups as there are forums elsewhere around FT in which to discuss those matters.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I really enjoy Lord Huron - looking for some music suggestions in a similar genre because I'm looking to expand my airplane playlist. I don't always listen to mellow music but on planes I certainly do.

Anyone?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I really enjoy Lord Huron - looking for some music suggestions in a similar genre because I'm looking to expand my airplane playlist. I don't always listen to mellow music but on planes I certainly do.

Anyone?
Have you tried Bahamas?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yyckerr

Have you tried Bahamas?
Nope - will give it a go. Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Anyone?
Try The Milk Carton Kids - caveat: sometimes a little too folksy for my taste, but it's good background music.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm out with @DrunkCargo and @D582

It was half planned, and half "I'm in a lounge but I'm going to leave and refund and join you"

I'll let you guess which person is which.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC 50K
When I was in the military I always had people asking me for help in reading and interpreting policy. I'm one of those annoying people who knows what the policy says... but I'm also one of those annoying people who knows just how far I can stretch things.
As one of my people said "if you know the policy, you know what you can do and what all the loop holes are"
meagicano likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: HH Silver
My friend, ironically with Tim's a double double in his hand, mentioned Ron Joyce passed away at age 88. RIP to someone who like it or not changed the Canadian corporate landscape unlike any other before.
24left likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.