Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Leafs survive Game 3 without choking in the third. Golf clap.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
You mean it's worse than paying a bloated organization 12K a year learning almost nothing that can't be find online, as opposed of being Paid? (Sure 32-35% taken off but not a huge deal consider its time to pay my fair share after being benefited by it for 10 years)
are you in Canada?
Only takes 32-35%?
Work hard, you're still young, it will get more painful

Also, I doubt you'd ever make that much without getting the paper (aka the degree)... or actually learn the material if you hate exams so much . If you loved the material and would learn it anyway, then the exam is trivial .
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
are you in Canada?
Only takes 32-35%?
Work hard, you're still young, it will get more painful

Also, I doubt you'd ever make that much without getting the paper (aka the degree)... or actually learn the material if you hate exams so much . If you loved the material and would learn it anyway, then the exam is trivial .
So true. The courses that I actually liked I ended up getting perfect or near-perfect GPAs. Studying wasn't a slog and no cramming required for the exams.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
You mean it's worse than paying a bloated organization 12K a year learning almost nothing that can't be find online, as opposed of being Paid? (Sure 32-35% taken off but not a huge deal consider its time to pay my fair share after being benefited by it for 10 years)
I'd argue everything can be found online and the patience to RTFM and contemplate is all that one requires, except proof. If you decide to be an employee, make your employer pay for the MBA/CFA/CPA/whatever... I did my MBA/MSc (took 6 months concurrently) out of spite, then quit. =) TRYJPY was very sweet to me back then, oh the leverage... Now I'm old.

Safe flight Jack!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:08 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I did my MBA/MSc (took 6 months concurrently) out of spite, then quit.
That was a trend at a previous gig that paid our best and brightest to take their MBAs. Then they would quit and go elsewhere. The company was over 45K employees, publicly traded and very profitable on $5B+ annual revenue.

One day we have an all hands. And someone in the room has the audacity to ask a non-softball question of our CEO, along the lines of "Why did you recently announce that you are ending the company funded MBA program?".

His response was effectively "Because those ungrateful b*stards get their MBA and then leave the company".

The career limiting response back from the original questioner was "Well, if we had some challenging opportunities for them to do internally with their MBAs, maybe they would stay".

The matter was never discussed again.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Tbh I'd thought that companies that pay for a degree would require some minimum commitment from you or they'd make you repay the tuition
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Sth awful just happened to my good friend.

Two weeks before he is due to start his Summer Internship, the company founders decided to shut down the company and with it, all summer positions are cancelled.
He actually turned down an offer from Honeywell(with a much, much higher pay) because he really connected with the founders
He wasnt even told this until the very last minute, UBC COOP office being useless basically told him to pound sand.

With just two weeks to go, the chance of him finding a summer position via normal channel is pretty much zero now. He also cant do summer school because pretty much all relevant courses are full now.

He is studying Integrated Science at UBC with a MM from Sauder (and pretty much open to ANY office job at the moment), he also interned at a Big Five Subsidiary in the past/

If you any of you guys are still looking for student for the summer plz DM me and I can forward you his resume.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 19, 2018 at 2:56 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Sth awful just happened to my good friend.
As you get older, when you read what I quoted, you expect something along the lines of "my friend got cancer". Sucks to be your friend, but in the grand scheme of things, try and keep things in perspective. Job/money will come by. Health is finite.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That was a trend at a previous gig that paid our best and brightest to take their MBAs. Then they would quit and go elsewhere. The company was over 45K employees, publicly traded and very profitable on $5B+ annual revenue.

One day we have an all hands. And someone in the room has the audacity to ask a non-softball question of our CEO, along the lines of "Why did you recently announce that you are ending the company funded MBA program?".

His response was effectively "Because those ungrateful b*stards get their MBA and then leave the company".
My employer has a policy that if the company pays for you to do a further degree, you have to reimburse them the full cost if you leave within 6 months, 2/3rds if you leave within a year and 1/3rd within 18 months.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by eigenvector
My employer has a policy that if the company pays for you to do a further degree, you have to reimburse them the full cost if you leave within 6 months, 2/3rds if you leave within a year and 1/3rd within 18 months.
When I moved to Canada I had similar for 2 years based on costs paid for move. But then I did expense everything. Like, taxi from downtown to first condo, car rental after selling my car, driving license change, OW J flight etc

It’s only fair really ... to be honest if the company pays for a 4 year degree that’s a pretty generous policy.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Jumper Jack UNCHAINED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdOykEJSXIg

An undergrad business degree going for an MBA? Really?
Congratulations. Welcome to the corporate world, next steps mortgage and wife :P
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:37 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I will be taking this to the president and try and get some education in for free .
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by jc94

Congratulations. Welcome to the corporate world, next steps mortgage and wife :P
The best way to not being chained again is not having those two
maradori likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:46 am

Great TV news today
David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club, The Social Network) and Andrew Dominik(Killing Them Softly, Assassin of Jesse James) will be directing MindHunter Season 2 episodes
Gillian Flynn's UTOPIA US remake moves to Amazon with straight to series order after being dead at HBO for years (If Fincher returns to direct... it would be game changing)

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 20, 2018 at 12:58 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:01 am

The best way to not being chained again is not having those two
If your wife makes you feel chained, you're doing it wrong.
I love my kids, and don't feel they are chaining me. Yes they are work, but I love them and they bring me a lot of joy overall.

If school made you feel chained, you did it wrong.

Based on your attitude, or at least the attitude of your on-line persona, I think you need to reconsider a lot of things and find yourself.

longtimeflyin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.