Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
There are a few unknowns with that:
  1. Does AC have enough replacement seats on hand to replace the defective ones? What about their outstations like SFO?
  2. Is the seat manufacturer hitting capacity issues producing the replacements?
  3. Have all maintenance crew been briefed on how to replace these pancakes?
  4. Does maintenance have enough turn around time to effect the repair? For a long turn like HKG->YVR the answer is likely yes but for shorter turns like domestic flights (i.e. SFO->YYZ) the answer might be no.
  5. Last but certainly not least, does the replacement fix the issue once and for all or will we continue to have bladder issues on J flights?
It might be useful to maintain our own logbook (read central spreadsheet) of seat issues which we can share with AC.

Safe Pancakes,

James
1. Who cares if SFO has them? The aircraft immediately goes back to YYZ, their largest hub. The issue isn't that a seat is occasionally broken, it's that it's broken for months.

3. I doubt it. I don't expect every mechanic to know how to do every task. But there should be people at each hub who knows the routine, and spares should be kept at the hubs.
4. It seems like it takes 15 minutes if they know what they're doing, so I don't accept the premise of this question.
5. I don't think they're installing the fixed seats yet, but I don't think that's quite relevant. If they fixed the seats every time they arrived at a hub, this thread would be 10 posts, not 1000.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by Plumber
What I am noticing is that’s then INTL turnarounds are not long like they used to be.

My 789 with 298 pax allowed 1hr 25min for NRT-YVR-ICN turnaround in YVR. Not sure that is any better than a NA flight turnaround.
I've noticed this too, on flights I've had both deflated seats, and garbage/crumbs. 1.5hrs is not enough time for a proper INTL turnaround.
ridefar likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by monkai
I was on AC101 YYZ-YVR, a couple weeks ago. In 8A on the 787-9 (FIN 850), and first thing I did when getting on was to check the seat. The seat back was completely deflated. Adjusting the mattress setting did nothing.

Quick discussion with an FA, then SD, resulted in maintenance coming. He did the seat reset from underneath by the aisle. It magically inflated, great! Then he did the Rondel reset, played with it for a bit... and decided it still wasn't working properly. A call to his colleague to deliver a new upper mattress. At this point it was about 15min to departure, and they had a non-rev identified who's seat I could take. The maintenance guys didn't want to delay the flight, but hustled and replaced the seat back in ten minutes.

It all came together and I slept most of the way back to Vancouver without any issues. Kudos to the SD and maintenance guys for making sure the seat was fixed properly.

Thanks 24left for photo attachment instructions. I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a while...
I also had 8A on 787-9 down a couple of weeks ago. LHR-YYC on Feb 2. Not sure what my Fin number was, what date was yours, could be a good chance it was the same plane and seat. If it were, I wonder how many flights after me until it was actually fixed on your flight.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Chowtime
I also had 8A on 787-9 down a couple of weeks ago. LHR-YYC on Feb 2. Not sure what my Fin number was, what date was yours, could be a good chance it was the same plane and seat. If it were, I wonder how many flights after me until it was actually fixed on your flight.
Feb 1 for me.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
And with thanks to 24Left, below are pictures of how compact the Klymit pad is and the options to fit it in my garment bag.

Can't believe I've just spent the last 30 min reading reviews on sleeping pads. Is this the Klymit Static V? Do you recommend it, I see it's on sale on Amazon.com right now. Might be worth throwing one in the bag since I just had a deflated long haul experience.

Last edited by Chowtime; Feb 17, 2019 at 12:03 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
(deleted due to my misinterpretation of a post)
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Can't believe I've just spent the last 30 min reading reviews on sleeping pads. Is this the Klymit Static V? Do you recommend it, I see it's on sale on Amazon.com right now. Might be worth throwing one in the bag since I just had a deflated long haul experience.
@Chowtime

Welcome to FT where you can learn al kinds of things, and some may help make your AC flying experience, um, much more cushioned.

You just spent time reading reviews on inflatable sleeping pads because it's a service now offered at AC FT Central. No charge.

Also blame @ridefar LOL He posted this on Jan 7 in the 737 MAX thread, in response to the discussion over those seats vs the padded ones on the old 32X birds.

Originally Posted by ridefar
You should bring an inflatable mattress. Then you truly have a J experience for a Y price.

And/ or blame 24left for getting the natives restless when I posted this on Feb 4 from AC 15

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30740232-post856.html

And now we have photos and reviews of brightly coloured inflatables.

Safe travels
canolakid and Chowtime like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:31 am

Did you order your own sleeping pad 24left?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75k, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Platinum
Add me to the list. Jan 30th on irrops flight 2003 from YYZ - YVR. Seat 3A on my 789.

First thing I did was check the seat on boarding and sure enough, the back was deflated. Spoke to SD and then Conceirge who was onboard. They quickly had maintenance onboard who could not fix the seat after about 25 min (flight was delayed because of cold weather in YYZ). Full flight but I was moved to another passengers seat after being given the option to keep non functional seat or move (assuming either non-rev or upgrade). I was flying to Asia and wanted to sleep on this leg.

Both the SD and Conceirge knew about this ongoing issue and even asked if I knew about the “secret reset option” which of course I said yes. Overall great experience from my end but I feel for the guy who took my seat...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:37 am
Suspended

Did you order your own sleeping pad 24left?
I'm waiting for more "reports from the field" lol.

I've opted for the AC low-tech version

And no laughing.

Bohemian1 and jc94 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 24left

And no laughing.

Saw this pic and immediately thought of the legendary Mr. Pillows

http://i.imgur.com/hpxtk.jpg

Is This Person a Flyer Talker (aka, the 'Mr. Pillows' Thread)?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18630830-post277.html

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 17, 2019 at 2:41 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by expert7700
Saw this pic and immediately thought of the legendary Mr. Pillows......
I only had 2 pillows so I doubt I even come close to competing with Mr. Pillows. Fun photos though.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Yes, Klymit Static V Ultralite Non-Insolated. See further up in the thread for Amazon link and specifications. Flying twice this week and I am expecting to deploy it at somepoint.
Chowtime likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:46 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I'm taking my inflatable orange friend for my GRU/YYZ/YVR legs on Wednesday.

Here's hoping it stays in my bag for the whole duration.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Feb 17, 2019 at 12:16 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:00 pm

I will be setting up a spreadsheet soon to log these issues. Here are the fields I'm thinking of tracking:
  1. Fin #
  2. Flight #
  3. Route
  4. Date Discovered
  5. Last Checked
  6. Seat #
  7. Issue
  8. Steps Taken to Resolve
  9. Compensation (eMCO, coupon, fare difference, etc.)
Each row would be coloured as follows:
  1. Green - Issue has been present for under a week
  2. Yellow - Issue has been present for 1-2 weeks
  3. Red - Issue has been present for 2-4 weeks
  4. Violet - Issue has been present for more than a month
Please let me know if there's something I'm missing (or that's irrelevant). We could then have a fellow FTers perform spot checks when they are on said planes to see if the issue is still present!
Originally Posted by 24left

And no laughing.

Where's the stack of KitKats that are assigned to J passenger SEs like yourself?! Yet more evidence of the SD/FA not following the printed instructions

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.