Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
838 7D completely deflated at boarding. Rondelle reset worked for remainder of flight.
838 7G lumbar was deflated, but I only noticed when I tried to sleep. 6G was available so the SD moved me there and I didn't look back.
So 2 of the 3 we tried this flight were deflated.
Assume this is the FIN? If so, same FIN: YYZ to LHR, 8A already deflated on boarding - the moment I sat down, it was like sitting on a piece of plywood covered by fabric. Informed the FA who attempted to fix; she then informed SD, who indicated mechanic was coming on board to fix. In the meantime, she located an alternate seat and offered to me. In the course of this discussion, gentleman in 8D was curious what the seat felt like. Turned out HIS seat was also deflated! I moved and later saw that mechanic was fixing both 8A & 8D. And someone was later seated in 8A.

Although my new seat (1D) was fully inflated at takeoff, I felt the air bladders inflate and deflate periodically on the lumbar after take-off. By the time I put the seat down to lie-flat position, the seat back was flat (I could feel the frame), and there was a huge gap between the seat-back and seat. I used the comforter, triple-folded, to cushion myself, and sat on the pillow to fill in the gap. Unfortunately, there were no extra comforters but I was given an extra mattress pad to further fill in the gap. In the end, I raised the seat to the relax mode (with the seatback a little more raised) to minimize lying on the seat-back and fortunately, had my own neck pillow and managed to nap for a short while on this red-eye flight in a semi-recline position. Will actually be glad to be flying home on an older 767!

This means 838 has 5 faulty seats.
canadiancow, Bohemian1 and 24left like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 23, 2020 at 8:10 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by ridefar
Your contention was that YYC was served by a handful of TPAC and TATL options for carriers. For TPAC there is one AC flight to NRT. That’s it. For TATL there is AC to LHR and FRA and KLM to AMS. Seasonal to ZRH. And.... So yes, you are mistaken.
Does Hainan no longer fly between Beijing & Calgary? Did BA cease their seasonal service to Heathrow? I'm happy to stand corrected.
I haven't even considered the imminent WestJet 787 TATL service, nor a plethora of streamlined one-stop options via several top-tier hubs in Canada and the US.

I stated YYC flyers were affected to a lesser extent (than YYZ & YVR). So we're saying the same thing: it's to a lesser extent.
Spare the rest of us the sanctimony.
Sorry you dislike my questions about why people complain so much about the product, yet continue to purchase it. Perhaps it hits close to home. Have a great day.

As for sanctimony, I do not think it means what you think it means. Apologies to Mandy Patinkin.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Feb 19, 2019 at 7:41 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Does Hainan no longer fly between Beijing & Calgary? Did BA cease their seasonal service to Heathrow? I'm happy to stand corrected.
I haven't even considered the imminent WestJet 787 TATL service, nor a plethora of streamlined one-stop options via several top-tier hubs in Canada and the US.

Sorry you dislike my questions about why people complain so much about the product, yet continue to purchase it. Perhaps it hits close to home. Have a great day.

As for sanctimony, I do not think it means what you think it means. Apologies to Mandy Patinkin.
i have been perfectly clear here on what my breaking point is for buying AC J cabin fares. It hasn’t been exceeded. So there is no hitting close to home as I am utterly consistent.

Bur you donr crecit AE, do you even fly AC over water? And since it doesn’t impact you and you feel it is beaten to death then you are here to complain because you are fascinated by others’ complaints?

you seem to feel I was telling you to shove off. I was suggesting that rather than obsess in a negative way about something you might be happier if you... didn’t.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:49 am

Bur you donr crecit AE, do you even fly AC over water?
Didn't understand the first part, but I fly AC out of YVR, which is on an island, so I guess I do.

you might be happier if you... didn’t.
I'm very happy, thank you. I've never paid thousands for an airborne park bench. Repeatedly.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AC 35k
For funsies, YYC TPAC service is NRT and PEK. TATL - LGW (WS/Transat), LHR (AC/BA), FRA (Condor/AC), AMS (KLM/Transat), ZRH, DUB, CDG.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
For funsies, YYC TPAC service is NRT and PEK. TATL - LGW (WS/Transat), LHR (AC/BA), FRA (Condor/AC), AMS (KLM/Transat), ZRH, DUB, CDG.
Thanks. I hadn’t mentioned Condor, Edelweiss or Transat, as I’m not sure they qualify as having a premium cabin or comparable service that might appeal to regular business-class customers. However, they do serve as perfectly viable alternatives.

Originally Posted by skybluesea
In what other major customer service industry might a customer be expected to provide maintenance instructions to customer service staff? In doing so, does this NOT relieve AC from its obligation to deliver what it promises in a reasonably routine manner? And how does it become even close to commercially viable for some customers to know the "secret handshake" and others to be unaware?
Excellent points. However, the current loads in J would suggest that the customer base is largely accepting of the situation. Impossible to determine is: how many first-time flyers might be turned off future travel with AC due to a special Signature of bruises and bedsores?

Originally Posted by skybluesea
This strikes as case for civil action, as AC does NOT separately price a lie-flat inflated seat, and thus an argument may exist that AC defaults the entire airfare as a penalty towards non-compliance. Yes air transportation was provided, but if traveler wished to fly without the required amenities offered in Signature Service, then a different purchase decision could have been made, including an alternative carrier.

any thoughts please
Would it be unreasonable to request a refund for the price difference between a PY and discount J fare? And if that’s difficult to quantify, why not a flat $1000 for a deflated seat? A compelling argument may be made that one might be able to rest more in a padded recline seat instead of on a stayflat lieflat one. The ability to travel in comfort is why most people spend to fly up front; surely it’s not for the frozen fruit, warm nuts and sugary cocktail.

Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Didn't understand the first part, but I fly AC out of YVR, which is on an island, so I guess I do.

I'm very happy, thank you. I've never paid thousands for an airborne park bench. Repeatedly.

YVR is on an island? Really? I think basic geography would say otherwise. But then again you seem to hold all kinds of wildly unsubstantiated opinions about YYC and the flight service we receive so go ahead with the Vancouver is an island stuff. Anyways. You seem angry. I have never paid thousands for an airborne park bench either. And with that, I am just going to take the simple, expedient step of blocking somebody that doesn't credit to AE, doesn't fly AC either TATL or TPAC, and isn't contributing anything to the process other than getting angry at other FTers. Adios.

Last edited by ridefar; Feb 19, 2019 at 12:32 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Sort of. LHR via BA is now seasonal/cancelled. ZRH is seasonal. CDG doesn't exist yet. DUB, LGW do not have premium/business cabins (yet/ever). FRA only has a premium cabin on AC. So lets revisit the notion that their are ample business class alternatives for TATL and TPAC flights from YYC, shall we? It simply isn't true.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
YVR is on an island? Really? I think basic geography would say otherwise. But then again you seem to hold all kinds of wildly unsubstantiated opinions about YYC and the flight service we receive so go ahead with the Vancouver is an island stuff.
Google Maps seems pretty insistent that YVR is indeed on an island.
Bohemian1 and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:02 pm

Sort of. LHR via BA is now seasonal/cancelled. ZRH is seasonal. CDG doesn't exist yet. DUB, LGW do not have premium/business cabins (yet/ever). FRA only has a premium cabin on AC. So lets revisit the notion that their are ample business class alternatives for TATL and TPAC flights from YYC, shall we? It simply isn't true.
BA's LHR is seasonal but runs March through October.
ZRH is seasonal and has a full business class cabin.
CDG, DUB and LGW business cabins will be launching soon (LGW in April, daily) - so yes, not yet, but yes soon (not never). I expect LGW to remain year round on 789s but not daily.
Condor has a proper business cabin to FRA.
KLM has a proper business cabin to AMS, and it is year round.
Hainan runs year round to PEK, and has a proper business cabin.

There are options. But the biggest growth will be with WS in the years to come. YYC will be lucky to hold NRT past 2019. And yes, a lot of it is seasonal flying, but most flights to Europe are during Northern Summer. In the dead of winter you'll have WS to LGW and KLM to AMS at least, and LHR via BA in March.
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:04 pm

YVR is on an island? Really? I think basic geography would say otherwise. But then again you seem to hold all kinds of wildly unsubstantiated opinions about YYC and the flight service we receive so go ahead with the Vancouver is an island stuff. Anyways. You seem angry. I have never paid thousands for an airborne park bench either. And with that, I am just going to take the simple, expedient step of blocking somebody that doesn't credit to AE, doesn't fly AC either TATL or TPAC, and isn't contributing anything to the process other than getting angry at other FTers. Adios.
Originally Posted by canopus27
Folks let's try to stay on topic here.

The main concern we're trying to address is how do we report these seats to AC and make sure that AC does their level best to address them in a timely manner rather then sending these pancakes out for weeks or even months at a time before repair! Secondarily we have discussion on how to minimize the impact of the "disruption" and how to claim compensation to at least mitigate the inconvenience caused by this fiasco!

I'll be the first to tell you my disdain for AC and my attempts to avoid them at all costs but at the end of the day, even this frequent flyer has no option but to fly AC for a number of reasons (not the least of which being arrested by CBSA for attempting cabotage between YXU and YSJ). Hence, I much like the rest of the community are looking forward to the day where we don't need to bring tents and sleeping bags on board to make the J experience acceptable.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:05 pm

But there's always the option to - you know - connect somewhere else to get another carrier if you really hate the seats
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
A pendantic defence of a pendant. If I ask you: do you fly over water (as in fly TPAC or TATL) with AC our of YVR? And you reply: “Vancouver is an island so yes I fly over water” I think you have deliberately misconstrued the question in an effort to be a d—k. YVR as with any city airport code is used on FT to mean both YVR and Vancouver the city. No surprise somebody took the opportunity to be a d—k. And no I am not referring to you Canopus. That too should be obvious. Too bad instead of being a d—k somebody just didn’t admit they don’t fly AC in J TPAC or TATL so their opinion on this issue isn’t worth a damn thing.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Folks let's try to stay on topic here.......
You must be new here.

The main concern we're trying to address is how do we report these seats to AC and make sure that AC does their level best to address them in a timely manner rather then sending these pancakes out for weeks or even months at a time before repair! Secondarily we have discussion on how to minimize the impact of the "disruption" and how to claim compensation to at least mitigate the inconvenience caused by this fiasco!........
Reporting is not the issue. AC knows because SDs report it in the logbooks, because AC is issuing eCoupons for future opportunities for stay-flats and because well, AC FT.

Discussion on minimizing the impact has been informative and entertaining. I am waiting for more "reports from the field", both in terms of personal experiences with the park bench, any remedies attempted prior to departure and/or onboard.

.........I much like the rest of the community are looking forward to the day where we don't need to bring tents and sleeping bags on board to make the J experience acceptable.......
Agree.

In the interim, as I stated upthread, we should still post the fins, we should still post how many other stay-flat J seats are on our flight at the same time, we should still post our updates to #AirCanadaCamping

I want large, detailed, colourful photos !

Last edited by 24left; Feb 19, 2019 at 1:21 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.