Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by bigjon94
Flying YUL-YVR-KOA in December with an overnight in Vancouver and then continuing the following morning to Kona. Knowing we will clear US customs in Vancouver, we will be exiting the secure area of the airport upon landing and spending the night at the Fairmont. Do we know if Air Canada allows a short check to collect the bags in YVR, or will US customs require the bags go directly to them and stay in holding overnight?
l’ve done this several times. Instructed to collect bags and keep them until the morning. If there’s no overnight involved, it’s a different process.

FYI, on my last trip the agent gave me both boarding passes in YYZ (my starting airport). She had to force the second one manually. Big mistake. she was trying to be helpful but it didn’t work. The next day, I went straight to the US customs entry machines/bag drop area. machine would not accept my inputs.

Long story short, AC had to cancel the “manual” boarding pass and bag tags and redo everything. It presented challenges never explained to me and it took forever. Had left the hotel in plenty of time intending to have a leisurely breakfast in the lounge. Had to go straight to the gate as the aircraft was already boarding.

Not sure if you’ve stayed at the Fairmont YVR. You can use a trolley for the bags but only as far as their lobby (hotel is in a different terminal from domestic arrivals). It’s a bit of a walk. Hotel does not permit trolleys beyond the lobby. There is a lift from the concourse to the lobby.

Good news is the next day, it’s 90 steps to US checkin. A Fairmont employee actually counted. That part was very quick.
jerry305 and kalderlake like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Does AC return baggage on overnight connections?

hey AC experts. I am looking at booking a one way J award on AC where I throw away the last segment. I actual routing is AKL-YVR-ORD. Booking AKL-YVR-ORD-DFW with a 18h overnight in Chicago is pricing at 115k less points in business. If I book the second itinerary will AC return the baggage to the carousel in Chicago for the overnight or will it go on to Dallas the next morning? Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: A3*G
regardless to your question, you will anyway need to pick up your bag to clear costumes & then you can just walk out.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
Originally Posted by travel agent
regardless to your question, you will anyway need to pick up your bag to clear costumes & then you can just walk out.
Not on this routing since US customs will be cleared in YVR and not in ORD
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by lewis_m
Not on this routing since US customs will be cleared in YVR and not in ORD
you`re right. but he can ask to check the bag just to ORD, since hi has a long overnight stop.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 12:42 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by chicago747
hey AC experts. I am looking at booking a one way J award on AC where I throw away the last segment. I actual routing is AKL-YVR-ORD. Booking AKL-YVR-ORD-DFW with a 18h overnight in Chicago is pricing at 115k less points in business. If I book the second itinerary will AC return the baggage to the carousel in Chicago for the overnight or will it go on to Dallas the next morning? Thanks
You can ask at check-in in AKL to only check the bags through to ORD because of the long lay-over blah blah blah.

As for not flying the last segment I suggest you do that at your own risk. I've heard of people getting reprimanded for doing that too many times.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:03 pm

Anyone ever have a long over night layover connecting from another airline to AC?

Have a connection in ZRH with 18hr overnight layover from an LX flight to an AC flight and wondering if my bags will be checked through. All on 1 ticket
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:20 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Elvasoshexai
Anyone ever have a long over night layover connecting from another airline to AC?

Have a connection in ZRH with 18hr overnight layover from an LX flight to an AC flight and wondering if my bags will be checked through. All on 1 ticket
Just ask at check in and look at the baggage tags.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Just ask at check in and look at the baggage tags.
yeah... that isn't going to work for me and I'm trying to confirm ahead of time.

I can only transit through there / stay airside so won't be able to reclaim/recheck bags if needed. If I wait until check-in, and it ends up they won't be checked through, that won't be good
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:16 pm

I hope this is the right place to ask. Later this month I have a FRA-YYZ-PIT flight with a 19 hour layover in YYZ. Will I be claiming my bags in YYZ or will be they checked through?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
I'm seeing mixed messages here - also people seem to have different desired outcomes.

Mrs. Zorn will be flying SAN-YVR-YOW with an overnight connection at YVR.

Desired outcome - doesn't have to collect the bag at YVR for the overnight. Could this happen if she asks at check-in?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by Elvasoshexai

I did a CDG-ZRH-VIE-LHR-YYZ last year with a 23:55 layover in ZRH - LX to AG and my bags were checked through to final destination.
(hoped to misconnect at VIE... but they held the aircraft for me. doh!)
Old Nov 17, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by zorn
I'm seeing mixed messages here - also people seem to have different desired outcomes.

Mrs. Zorn will be flying SAN-YVR-YOW with an overnight connection at YVR.

Desired outcome - doesn't have to collect the bag at YVR for the overnight. Could this happen if she asks at check-in?
Her bag was indeed checked through to YOW. She did not need to see it at YVR.

In fact she didn't even see it on the Gepäckausgabe* at YOW. They delivered it to us later in the evening. Ironically they guy couldn't find our driveway and drove up the lane beside the adjacent farmer's field instead and finally found us after driving across an acre or so of our grass.

*"baggage-out-give"
Old Nov 26, 2023, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
I hope this is the right place to ask. Later this month I have a FRA-YYZ-PIT flight with a 19 hour layover in YYZ. Will I be claiming my bags in YYZ or will be they checked through?
In case anyone in the future is in a similar situation: the bags were checked all the way through.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
In case anyone in the future is in a similar situation: the bags were checked all the way through.
That makes no sense.
Did they refuse to shortcheck or did you not try?

I need my bag on the overnight should've done it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.