Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by halifaxtraveler
I'm just wondering how would they know we have left the airport?
They wouldn't know, but that is moot anyway.

As @californiadreamin' said, you have to do these things no matter what.

Plus, you'll be kicked out of domestic airside if you decide you want to sleep airside for your morning domestic connection. (at least, I have never been allowed to sleep/veg/lounge around airside overnight at T1)
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Overnight layover at YYZ -- baggage?

I have an overnight layover at YYZ (arriving at 11:45 pm and leaving at 8:45 am) and will have a heavy checked bag. AC-operated flights in and out. Can I check baggage all the way through when I check in at DEN? Or will I need to collect and re-check at YYZ?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by GBadger
I have an overnight layover at YYZ (arriving at 11:45 pm and leaving at 8:45 am) and will have a heavy checked bag. AC-operated flights in and out. Can I check baggage all the way through when I check in at DEN? Or will I need to collect and re-check at YYZ?
I do this very rarely, but from my limited experience I am pretty sure it is collect and re-check.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have overnighted at YYZ connecting to AC the next day. You can thru check in if it's star. At least in my experience. There is baggage belt for connections after clearing customs.
I think there is a new thru check in system connecting from the EU where you may not have to collect your checked baggage.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I do this very rarely, but from my limited experience I am pretty sure it is collect and re-check.
Originally Posted by dav662
I have overnighted at YYZ connecting to AC the next day. You can thru check in if it's star. At least in my experience. There is baggage belt for connections after clearing customs.
I think there is a new thru check in system connecting from the EU where you may not have to collect your checked baggage.
Thank you both. The itinerary is US-YYZ-BGI (Barbados), and then back. So not the EU. On the way out, both flights are AC operated, on the way back, it's AC-UA.

I'll check when I check in!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:58 am

Thank you both. The itinerary is US-YYZ-BGI (Barbados), and then back. So not the EU. On the way out, both flights are AC operated, on the way back, it's AC-UA.

I'll check when I check in!
Sorry. The US and Europe and Japan.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:36 pm

Just an update from me — the agent at DEN was able to check the bag all the way to BGI. Hopefully it makes it there!
pitz likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:48 pm

Check at the gate of your outbound flight from YYZ to see if your bag is loaded. They can tell you at the gate. At connections or check in they can only tell you if the bag tags are in the system.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by dav662
Check at the gate of your outbound flight from YYZ to see if your bag is loaded. They can tell you at the gate. At connections or check in they can only tell you if the bag tags are in the system.
Good tip — thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I had something similar last month. Different itinerary but AC to AC with a similar kind of overnight connection. YYZ agent manually tagged everything thru and advised not necessary to collect bags until final destination.

At YVR asked whether I had to collect/recheck bags because — well — I don’t work at the airport.. Yes! They also had to retag bags and redo boarding passes. Unclear as to why and it took a lot of time.

Keep checking.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
How about YVR-YYZ-NAS? (All AC metal.) Will they be able to check bags through YYZ when it's a 13-hour overnight layover? Failing that, can bags be collected and then immediately re-checked?

Also, if it's a mixed Aeroplan redemption, YVR-YYZ in X and YYZ-NAS in I, can the YYZ domestic MLL be used immediately after arrival from YVR? Or how about the PP lounge?

TIA.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
How about this one...I did do extensive searching and couldn't find an answer.

I'm going YVR-YYZ-MCO on an AE redemption, all in J. No status. The first segment arrives at 9pm and the 2nd departs at 7am.

I'll be able to check luggage all the way through?

Can I use the D MLL on arrival?

The rules say I need a same-day BP, but that can't be a firm rule cause they're not going to deny someone at 10PM if they have a flight at 1AM... right?

Since I'll be within 12 hours of the 2nd leg, I should be able to have a BP printed.

I don't think I'll be able to use the AC cafe, even though I'd rather just go there and grab something to to take the the Sheraton. I'm just looking for a bit of food for a light dinner. But it says I'd need to be departing on a domestic flight, which isn't the case here.

Is it even worth doing for a light dinner? Would they still have anything hot at 10pm? On business I wouldn't care since I can just expense food, but this trip is on my own dime and I'll have my family with me... I don't want to spend money getting all of us food if I can avoid it.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
As I mentioned upthread, my limited experience (doing YOW - YYZ (overnight) - US on AC) is collect and recheck. But others seem to indicate you can get checked through bags as well.

The Cafe will have wraps and snacks, great for a snack on the go but hardly dinner for the family, and you’re probably not getting in anyway. The dom MLL will have horse glue being passed off as hummus and edamame. Do yourself a favour and buy your family dinner.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ride red
I'll be able to check luggage all the way through?
Uncertain, YMMV, per the rest of this thread.

Can I use the D MLL on arrival?

The rules say I need a same-day BP, but that can't be a firm rule cause they're not going to deny someone at 10PM if they have a flight at 1AM... right?

Since I'll be within 12 hours of the 2nd leg, I should be able to have a BP printed.

I don't think I'll be able to use the AC cafe, even though I'd rather just go there and grab something to to take the the Sheraton. I'm just looking for a bit of food for a light dinner. But it says I'd need to be departing on a domestic flight, which isn't the case here.
Do you have 50K status or higher? If so, you're permitted to access the MLL as an arrivals lounge. If not, no. The Cafe isn't eligible for arrivals lounge access.

You're sort of right but also wrong about the same-day thing. Yes, if you have a boarding pass for a flight departing at 12:30AM on day X, AC is going to let you in to the lounge (or Cafe) at 11PM on day X-1. AC uses the concept of "operational days", meaning that even though your flight departs on the following day, it's still effectively the same day (same operational day) as the day you're trying to access the lounge. In your case, a 9PM arrival and a 7AM departure are not on the same operational day, so there's no lounge access upon arrival.

You can access the Cafe if you're connecting to a TB or international flight but again, it has to be the same operational day. If you were on a redeye YVR-YYZ arriving at 5AM, you could access the Cafe before heading over to the US departures area, but not arriving at 9PM the night before.

You'll have access to the TB MLL in the morning before departure of your second flight, and of course the YVR MLL before departing there, but that's it.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:49 pm

Just an update from me — the agent at DEN was able to check the bag all the way to BGI. Hopefully it makes it there!
Is DEN an AC operation, or a UA station that services AC flights?

Anyone know?

As I wrote in the other thread, I've had 100% success getting non-AC/non-Canadian interline partners to check overnight through YYZ. Its when dealing with QK or AC mainline stations where the problems happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.