Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: Latampass
YYZ Baggage in a long layover

Hello

Before the pandemic, usually in long connections in YYZ when dispatching luggage (in Chile) I have been told that I take it in Toronto and re check it in the counter, since it is a long time (in general 10 to 15 hrs) so lately In order not to have to leave the international connection area for reasons of covid procedures, I have not checked baggage.

My question is, now, I have a flight in Business (paid) for vacations to Europe and I have a layover of 15 hours and 10 hours on the way back in YYZ, will I be able to dispatch luggage to the final destination?

Thanks, I don't know if there was a post about this in specific.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Bags checked through on domestic red eye/intl connection

If I have a red eye from Edmonton To Toronto/Pearson and a connection to Costa Rica but the connecting flight doesn't leave until 9 hours after arrival, can I still check the bags through at Edmonton or will they make you collect them and put them on an international connection conveyer?

The reason I ask is that the connection changed to an afternoon departure so they automatically changed the domestic flight the next morning. But they keep reducing the connection time and it's now down to just over an hour. Given the headlines of baggage nightmares and canceled flights, I'd rather sit at Pearson all day than arrive in Costa Rica with no bags.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:01 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@Rodiy2k, with this being your first post, welcome to FT. Please note I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic. It appears the answer is yes, AC will check the bags through. Please read upthread if you would like more information.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: AP SPG HH
Overnight layover YYZ luggage

Flying YSB-YYZ-BGI overnight layover what happens to our checked luggage? I am finding conflicting messages from AC and AC/Pearson. Can someone provide recent experience please?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan
16 hour overnight YYZ layover - 2 questions

I'm a little out of practice flying AC now that I'm living in the UK. I am flying on a business class ticket from CUN to YYB via YYZ. I assume we have to pick up our luggage in YYZ? Is it possible to check them straight through to North Bay?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 23, 2022 at 7:13 pm Reason: Move content to appropriate thread
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:53 pm
HHG

More experienced people can give you a better answer but I can at least let you know my experience. Getting the luggage in YYZ (or not) depends on where you fly. They announce in the plane if you will pick them up in YYZ. I did not have to pick up once (I think I was flying from MEX) and I had to pick up numerous other times when flying from other destinations. So ask during check in at CUN.
SMcV likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by SMcV
I'm a little out of practice flying AC now that I'm living in the UK. I am flying on a business class ticket from CUN to YYB via YYZ. I assume we have to pick up our luggage in YYZ? Is it possible to check them straight through to North Bay?
This suggests that you do: https://www.torontopearson.com/en/co...estination=yyb
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I think the key portion of the question is buried in the thread title... Whether bags are normally checked through on CUN-YYZ-domestic, the experiences in this thread suggest the 16-hour overnight means they won't be for @SMcV.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think the key portion of the question is buried in the thread title... Whether bags are normally checked through on CUN-YYZ-domestic, the experiences in this thread suggest the 16-hour overnight means they won't be for @SMcV.
I think we should separate OSS from luggage being checked through to the final destination. The luggage was checked through to the final destination long before OSS was introduced. That's why one had to drop it to the connections belt instead of going to the check in counter.
CUN is an OSS origin. The luggage for shorter connections will be transferred directly to the connecting flight. If that's true for a booked overnight connection remains to be seen. During my YYZ overnights forced by IROPS I didn't get my luggage. It traveled with me the next day.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
If that's true for a booked overnight connection remains to be seen.
I don't think it remains to be seen when all of the posts in this thread say it won't be checked through on an overnight connection. Unless AC has very recently changed the policy, that should be the expectation.

During my YYZ overnights forced by IROPS I didn't get my luggage. It traveled with me the next day.
And a forced overnight is different from a scheduled overnight; your experience is consistent with those upthread.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I don't think it remains to be seen when all of the posts in this thread say it won't be checked through on an overnight connection. Unless AC has very recently changed the policy, that should be the expectation.
And a forced overnight is different from a scheduled overnight; your experience is consistent with those upthread.
Well, now I ended up with a "booked" overnight at YYZ, since my original flight from DFW is delayed 6.5 hours. So instead of flying DFW-YUL-YYZ-YXU I'm flying DFW-YYZ-YXU with overnight connection.. Since I wasn't able to book an one way rental car from YYZ to YXU, I'll take the morning flight. My YYZ to YXU BP for tomorrow morning is showing ITD OSS. I'll see if my suitcase will show up on the conveyor tonight.

My luggage ended up being transferred directly to the next flight departing next morning (QK8908->QK8251).

Last edited by WildcatYXU; Nov 25, 2022 at 10:23 am Reason: Update
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:04 am

To short check or not?

I would love thoughts on this: in a couple of months we have a YQR-YYZ-FRA booking with an 8-hour layover (due to the horrible YQR-YYZ schedule these days). We are connecting AC to LH. We need to check one bag and in my mind I should short check the bag to YYZ and then re-check it with LH versus checking it all the way through. We haven’t decided if we are going to get a day room or simply go into the city for lunch and a walk, in which case we would store the bags at YYZ.

From FRA we are continuing on to TFS (same ticket), so if the checked bag gets stuck at YYZ it will probably be delayed many days as there’s only a single EW flight daily. We had a bag get stuck at YYC enroute to LHR before Christmas, and amazingly also at AMS on the way home, and though it was no great calamity I didn’t enjoy dealing with the hassle nor having to go out and buy a few extra clothing items.

It seems to me that 8 hours at YYZ would increase the odds of a checked bag getting stuck there, but perhaps this is a misapprehension. Thoughts?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 1:39 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by arf04
I would love thoughts on this: in a couple of months we have a YQR-YYZ-FRA booking with an 8-hour layover (due to the horrible YQR-YYZ schedule these days). We are connecting AC to LH. We need to check one bag and in my mind I should short check the bag to YYZ and then re-check it with LH versus checking it all the way through. We haven’t decided if we are going to get a day room or simply go into the city for lunch and a walk, in which case we would store the bags at YYZ.

From FRA we are continuing on to TFS (same ticket), so if the checked bag gets stuck at YYZ it will probably be delayed many days as there’s only a single EW flight daily. We had a bag get stuck at YYC enroute to LHR before Christmas, and amazingly also at AMS on the way home, and though it was no great calamity I didn’t enjoy dealing with the hassle nor having to go out and buy a few extra clothing items.

It seems to me that 8 hours at YYZ would increase the odds of a checked bag getting stuck there, but perhaps this is a misapprehension. Thoughts?
If you're worried and want peace of mind, just short check it.
Not a YYZ datapoint but I had a bag not loaded recently with a 7.5 hour layover @ YVR... (YCD - YVR - YXC).
canadianhockey91 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
If you're worried and want peace of mind, just short check it.
Not a YYZ datapoint but I had a bag not loaded recently with a 7.5 hour layover @ YVR... (YCD - YVR - YXC).
Thanks! I’m kind of leaning that way. It’s funny as we had no issues for multiple TATL flights, then both ways on one trip. You never know…
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Just to add a data point here - in case others find it helpful.

I flew from MCO - YWG through YYZ this weekend. My flight from MCO-YYZ was scheduled to land just after midnight, and my connection the following morning to YWG left at 10 AM. My bags were automatically tagged all the way through to YWG, despite an almost 10 hour connection overnight. Maybe it has to due with the arriving flight landing after midnight?

I have an overnight in YVR next month en route to OGG, but that flight lands before midnight, so we'll see.
jerry305 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.