Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: AC 75K; HHonors Diamond; IHG Diamond; Bonvoy Gold;
Traveling on AC LHR-YYZ-VRA (Cuba) on Wednesday of this week, with a 15 hour overnight layover in YYZ. Unlike many previous posts, we would *prefer* to check bags all the way through from LHR to VRA. Is there any reason this should not be possible?

Thanks in advance, FlyerTalk!
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Anyone know the policy with long layovers and if you have to claim and re-check your bag or not?
Is it carrier or airport dependent?

ie) If I'm flying YVR - LHR - OSL (13x hour overnight layover) - TOS. Last 2x segments on SK
Return is similar: TOS - OSL (10x hour overnight layover) - LHR - YVR. First 2x segments SK.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Anyone know the policy with long layovers and if you have to claim and re-check your bag or not?
Is it carrier or airport dependent?
It's dependent on carrier and airport. For your itinerary, you should check with the SK forum, as it doesn't matter whether AC will tag the bags through, it will be up to SK whether they will keep them on the layover or dump them out to the carousel.
CanadianMike likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:26 pm

Programs: *G (NH); OWS (JL); STE (KE)
ICN-YYZ-YUL-EWR: through check or pick up at YUL?

I have the above itinerary booked for April. The ICN-YYZ-YUL segments are AC with the final leg YUL-EWR on UA metal, booked as an AC codeshare. It’s one single 014 AC ticket. I’m wondering, however: as the YYZ-YUL flight AC430 arrives at 00:48 and my connection to AC4594/UA3456 leaves at 6:00, do I need to pick up my bags and re-check them with United? Technically these flights’ arrivals and departures are the same calendar day, but I’m not sure if AC will treat this as overnight or not. I’d appreciate any guidance from the wisdom of the group. Ideally I’d like to stay airside until the transborder connections area opens but I’m not sure if that’s a possibility or not.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:15 pm

Late arrival, overnight layover at JFK, *A, what happens with checked bags?

Very similar question to Can luggage be checked-through for a overnight layover at JFK from oversea?, except with *A carriers.

When I flew YYZ-EWR-HND last year (AC - UA), AC was able to check through my bags to HND on a 15 turned 38 hours layover (due to IRROPS).

This time, I'm flying YYZ-JFK-HND round trip, YYZ<>JFK Air Canada, JFK <> HND ANA. 14h30m, 11h40m respectively.
  1. YYZ-JFK-HND, I assume no issues with checking through bags to HND?
  2. HND-JFK-YYZ, I land ~10pm local time (EDIT: at JFK). Are the Air Canada check in counters (EDIT: at JFK) available for bag recheck once I'm past customs and immigrations, or am I forced to hold onto them until my 9am flight the following morning? Am staying at a nearby hotel with shuttle, but would prefer to carry as little as possible. (EDIT: and, to follow up: even if they are opened, will I be allowed to check in bags with a near 12 hour layover?)

Last edited by sports1; Feb 1, 2024 at 11:31 pm
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1 should be fine
2 is a question for the NH forum
Old Feb 1, 2024, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
1 should be fine
2 is a question for the NH forum
Thanks. To clarify, in 2 I arrive 10pm local time at JFK, so I'm wondering if AC check in counters are opened late at JFK to service checking in bags, and if I'll even be allowed to check them in with close to 12 hours before my next flight.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:13 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sports1
Thanks. To clarify, in 2 I arrive 10pm local time at JFK, so I'm wondering if AC check in counters are opened late at JFK to service checking in bags, and if I'll even be allowed to check them in with close to 12 hours before my next flight.
There are probably no AC flights leaving that late in the day, but you can easily check using the AC site or Google Flights or whatever. You should expect there to be no agents at the check-in counter within about an hour before the last flight, i.e. if the last flight leaves at 8PM, there will likely be no one at the desk after about 7PM.

I don't think they'll hold the baggage overnight even if they're there, but I suspect the lack of agents will kill it anyway.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
There are probably no AC flights leaving that late in the day, but you can easily check using the AC site or Google Flights or whatever. You should expect there to be no agents at the check-in counter within about an hour before the last flight, i.e. if the last flight leaves at 8PM, there will likely be no one at the desk after about 7PM.

I don't think they'll hold the baggage overnight even if they're there, but I suspect the lack of agents will kill it anyway.
Thanks. I'm going to have at least 3 bags with me (large ski bag, checked bag (possibly 2), carry on), so this could be pretty annoying even with a hotel shuttle.

Is there a self service bag drop option at JFK for AC flights? (though I'm not sure if the bags at HND would be tagged to YYZ, or if I'd need new tags at JFK for JFK > YYZ).
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:56 pm

Luggage policy/process for layover

We left PTY and I asked the Copa agent to only have our bags ticketed to YYZ as we have a 12 hour layover with a hotel. Flight is PTY -FLL -YYZ -YWG.
The baggage tags still had YWG as final destination. I questioned him and of course the response was “yes, no problem”.
Got to FLL and dropped our bags off with AC and I asked them to ensure we can pick them up in YYZ as we are staying overnight. The first response was no we cannot do that because your layover is not long enough - I disagreed - she then went to speak to a Supervisor and was then told because COPA ticketed them through they cannot change anything.
is that correct?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Checked Baggage on US-Domestic Connection at YVR

Hello,

I’m booked on a UA itinerary XXX-SFO-YVR-YYC. First leg operated by UA, second and third operated by AC. Bags will be initially checked with UA.

Layover in YVR is 8hrs, will I need to collect and recheck bags due to layover length or to clear customs? Baggage will include skis and I’m hoping to go into the city for the afternoon, so I’m hoping transfer is all taken care of.

I’m not family with the transit process in Canada, and haven’t been able to find a definitive answer.

Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
US-YYZ-domestic. 11:50 overnight layover (9pm to 8:50am)
Desired outcome: NOT checked through (want my stuff in YYZ for the night)

Whats the latest in this situation with AC?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rankourabu
US-YYZ-domestic. 11:50 overnight layover (9pm to 8:50am)
Desired outcome: NOT checked through (want my stuff in YYZ for the night)

Whats the latest in this situation with AC?
Why don't you just ask them to short-check your bag to YYZ then you'll be sure to have it available to you there...assuming it arrives on the flight with you...
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:40 pm

Hi all - hoping you can help me with this booking!

I will be taking a flight from YQR-YYZ-YXU in J. I have an overnight layover in YYZ and would like to take my bag for the 8-hour layover. Would AC honor a request to short-check a bag for an 8 hr flight?

About me: I am not planning a HCT, but I do have a flight that evening out of YYZ (14 hours after my YYZ-YXU leg). Even though I am not planning a HCT, if there is a delay or if I am worried about getting back to YYZ in time, I would be lying to say that I would not skip the YXU under any circumstances (even though it is not the intent, just a possibility). Would AC consider this a violation of their terms? Would they then decline short-checking bags in the future, even if it is for access to medical supplies?

Looking forward to hearing your takes on this!
Old Apr 20, 2024, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Flybye360
Hi all - hoping you can help me with this booking!

I will be taking a flight from YQR-YYZ-YXU in J. I have an overnight layover in YYZ and would like to take my bag for the 8-hour layover. Would AC honor a request to short-check a bag for an 8 hr flight?

About me: I am not planning a HCT, but I do have a flight that evening out of YYZ (14 hours after my YYZ-YXU leg). Even though I am not planning a HCT, if there is a delay or if I am worried about getting back to YYZ in time, I would be lying to say that I would not skip the YXU under any circumstances (even though it is not the intent, just a possibility). Would AC consider this a violation of their terms? Would they then decline short-checking bags in the future, even if it is for access to medical supplies?

Looking forward to hearing your takes on this!
I think you are giving AC and their IT systems wayyyyy more credit than they deserve. I've never had an issue short-checking bags, and you should have no issues now or in the future....there are like 97 legit reasons to short-check bags, especially if you have an 8 hr layover.
canadiancow and Flybye360 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.