Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by halifaxtraveler
I also have another question if my flight was to be cancelled due to weather, it happened to me last year!! would I have to call Air Canada to re-book my flights or would I have call Aeroplan?

Also what are your thoughts on Air Canada On My Way, because I can add it to my booking for a extra 40.25 per person for the the flight to Calgary, and is there any real benefit to me by adding this?
Bags, I'm not sure about. I suspect the app is correct.

Once travel has started, its all on AC to get you to your destination. "when started" may be vague, but for sure would include after the time you are expected to get to the airport.

With status, I've gotten treated pretty well and not needed extra insurance. OMW may be viewed as a scam ("why don't they just automatically treat us well?"), but only from those who don't fully understand the AC obligations (essentially: "eventually"). If $81 is worth it for you for "the next flight" and not "eventually", then its worth it.

I'd probably get it for the outbound, to get in my vacation time, but not the return, as work can suck it if I'm stuck somewhere because of an airline.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
With status, I've gotten treated pretty well and not needed extra insurance. OMW may be viewed as a scam ("why don't they just automatically treat us well?"), but only from those who don't fully understand the AC obligations (essentially: "eventually"). If $81 is worth it for you for "the next flight" and not "eventually", then its worth it.

I'd probably get it for the outbound, to get in my vacation time, but not the return, as work can suck it if I'm stuck somewhere because of an airline.
I'll agree I think OMW is a bit of a scam myself but my wife thinks otherwise given they will put you up in a hotel for the night if your flight is cancelled and you can ask them to book you onto another airline, so I have to keep the wife happy and told her I would research about it before paying for it.

I think she worried after what happened last year over March break, our flight got cancelled due to a snow storm that started in the middle of us boarding the plane in Halifax, the best part is if they had not spend forever looking for volunteers at the gate to change onto a later flight that evening we would of got out of Halifax on time, but instead we waited on the tarmac going nowhere before going back to the gate and told to wait in the terminal for announcements, nothing was leaving Halifax at this point and all flights that evening was cancelled due to the weather. We considered ourselves one of the lucky ones that day because at least we was able to get onto a flight the next day, but boy was it a long day having to travel YHZ > YUL > YOW > YYZ > YYC because there was nothing else available.

I would only be booking it for the outbound flight!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:56 pm

I'll agree I think OMW is a bit of a scam myself but my wife thinks otherwise given they will put you up in a hotel for the night if your flight is cancelled and you can ask them to book you onto another airline, so I have to keep the wife happy and told her I would research about it before paying for it.

I think she worried after what happened last year over March break, our flight got cancelled due to a snow storm that started in the middle of us boarding the plane in Halifax, the best part is if they had not spend forever looking for volunteers at the gate to change onto a later flight that evening we would of got out of Halifax on time, but instead we waited on the tarmac going nowhere before going back to the gate and told to wait in the terminal for announcements, nothing was leaving Halifax at this point and all flights that evening was cancelled due to the weather. We considered ourselves one of the lucky ones that day because at least we was able to get onto a flight the next day, but boy was it a long day having to travel YHZ > YUL > YOW > YYZ > YYC because there was nothing else available.

I would only be booking it for the outbound flight!
For weather delays, a non-status, non-OYW passenger will not get anything out of Air Canada. Or, at least, AC isn't obligated to give you anything, at least not when you are "stuck" at your home airport.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...on-my-way.html is a pretty clear chart of what you don't get without OMW.

The detailed T&C are... not very detailed... but I interpret that as any flight, at least the same cabin, in any booking class. Going from a rewards booking to a OMW rebooking will put you way ahead in the pecking order. Even CC insurance is only going to pay you out, later, and not be of great help getting to anywhere on a schedule.

Seems like an OK $80 spend to me.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:47 pm

I’ve bought OMY a few times and used it once. I bought it at times when I wanted to be sure to get to my destination as close to the original time as possible in the case of irops. I have seen it, where the weather has truly been bad at YYZ, that flights back to YQR are booked up for days. It’s not much fun having a confirmed flight for three days hence (this happened to me once on a J booking, no less)! The one time I had to use it, it pretty much worked as advertised. We were going to misconnect no matter what and they put us on the first a.m. flight out, and in business despite a Y booking. They will stick you in WestJet if AC is full, which adds options as well.

Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:48 pm

App is probably wrong about the checked bags thing. I've booked YVR-YYZ redeyes with a connection 7 hours later (first flight of the day onwards -- YDF in my case) and they've denied bag through-checking. More recently, even arriving on a midnight flight at YYZ and catching a 7am onwards to the US, check-through service was denied. Which was really annoying. Reminding someone about no Customs on a domestic flight...a bit bizarre. And do they really expect you to spend 11 hours overnight airside?

In any event, you'll be advised when you check in at your origin where you need to collect your bags. Probably at YYZ though.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
OMW is paying AC to treat you almost as well (I use this term loosely) as a SE in cases of IRROPs.

I buy it when I can on returning to YYZ during winter. Never worried about it on the way out, though I would consider it.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Also what are your thoughts on Air Canada On My Way, because I can add it to my booking for a extra 40.25 per person for the the flight to Calgary, and is there any real benefit to me by adding this?

Thoughts please?

Does On My Way work when things are really bad?
On My Way: what's the point?
Air Canada on My Way Program
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:03 pm

Do you have trip interruption coverage through your credit card or through group insurance at work? If you do, there is no point purchasing On My Way unless you must fly business class with no exceptions.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by B407
Do you have trip interruption coverage through your credit card or through group insurance at work? If you do, there is no point purchasing On My Way unless you must fly business class with no exceptions.
Travel insurance will cut you a check after you are stuck somewhere for several days. OMY provides actual rebooking by the airline agents to get you, well, on your way.

Many/most CC insurance packages don't cover rewards flights
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:10 pm

You need to do it all

Hi everyone,

I'll have a upcoming trip to YYC Calgary from YHZ Halifax coming up in March with a overnight layover in YYZ Toronto. Ideally I would preferred to not have a overnight layover in YYZ but the tickets was booked via Aeroplan as a fixed mileage business class ticket for both myself and my wife and there was no other options available at the time of bookings for the dates we wanted when we booked our tickets as it will be the start of March break for Nova Scotia.

I have traveled before with a overnight layover in YYZ before but have always been required to pickup our bags in YYZ before going onto our hotel for the night.

Now after imputing my booking details into the Air Canada mobile app for this trip in March, it says Layover in Toronto Pearson YYZ 10h 54m You do not need to collect your bags.

It was understanding I would have to pick up my bags as they don’t hold bags overnight in YYZ, or have the rules since been relaxed? If this info in the app is correct, it will be great because it save us a hour waiting for our bags in YYZ as we will be traveling with a fair bit of luggage including ski bags and will mean we can go right to our hotel with hand luggage only.

I would be grateful for your input on this because when I called Air Canada they were not very helpful and told me to talk to the check-in counter in Halifax on the day of departure as they could not answer my question over the phone.

I also have another question if my flight was to be cancelled due to weather, it happened to me last year!! would I have to call Air Canada to re-book my flights or would I have call Aeroplan?

Thoughts please?

Thanks

​​​​​​The messages above are all incorrect given your overnight layover.
Assuming you will be leaving the airport..
-You DO need to collect your bags (as they will not be tagged through at your initial check-in).
-You DO need to clear Security (after you recheck your bags upon arrival back at the airport for your second flight).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Free Agent
+1 for OMW, winter travel and family peace of mind.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Travel insurance will cut you a check after you are stuck somewhere for several days. OMY provides actual rebooking by the airline agents to get you, well, on your way.

Many/most CC insurance packages don't cover rewards flights
Some CC insurance do cover reward flights. Group plans through work usually don't care.

I've used travel insurance on a group insurance plan from several employers. All of them have allowed me to buy a walk up on any airline in Y when there is an issue that results in a delay of several hours not days. Yes you'll have to pay for the ticket upfront and seek reimbursement afterwards, but beats paying AC for the same service.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:15 am

Some CC insurance do cover reward flights. Group plans through work usually don't care.

I've used travel insurance on a group insurance plan from several employers. All of them have allowed me to buy a walk up on any airline in Y when there is an issue that results in a delay of several hours not days. Yes you'll have to pay for the ticket upfront and seek reimbursement afterwards, but beats paying AC for the same service.
I suppose $JOB paying or something is better than paying for it yourself. But that doesn't quite refute my point.

CC insurance may not cover travel on rewards. Or it might. If you want insurance, then check on this. Either way, you may be surprised.
OMW is wired into AC reservations. You won't be out of pocket for rebooked flights or hotels. You might still need some walking around money, but insurance is insurance, not your mother.

Are there better insurance packages? Maybe.
Is OMW worth $40/person/direction? Maybe.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:39 am

I do have trip interruption coverage through my credit card but it does not cover reward tickets. I do have insurance through work but it covers us for medical emergency.

Originally Posted by canolakid
+1 for OMW, winter travel and family peace of mind.
We have decided that we going to get OMW but we going to wait to the last min and see what the weather forecast looks like closer to the time! and I agree it is a peace of mind!

Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
​​​​​​The messages above are all incorrect given your overnight layover.
Assuming you will be leaving the airport..
-You DO need to collect your bags (as they will not be tagged through at your initial check-in).
-You DO need to clear Security (after you recheck your bags upon arrival back at the airport for your second flight).
I'm just wondering how would they know we have left the airport?

I think the security message is more aimed as a reminder to people who are connecting onto another flight and not planning on leaving the airport. I'll already know I would have to clear Security again in the morning if we leave the airport for the night!

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 11, 2022 at 2:42 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I'm just wondering how would they know we have left the airport?

I think the security message is more aimed as a reminder to people who are connecting onto another flight and not planning on leaving the airport. I'll already know I would have to clear Security again in the morning if we leave the airport for the night!
I think what we're seeing here is just another instance where AC IT isn't setup to deal with anything more than the bare minimum.

And they won't know you've left the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.