Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
domestic 4 hour connection bag hold limit. Even during the daytime, I wasn't allowed (ie: a 6 hour connection at YYZ!).
Is this why my baggage didn't arrive after flying Moncton to Edmonton, via YYZ, with a 6 hour layover? Is this a Pearson thing or do all Canadian airports do this? Because ...! What do they expect me to do with a 50lbs suitcase for an afternoon? I'm almost more annoyed that if true my suitcase would just be out in a public area, probably for much longer than just 6 hours, and could have easily been stolen.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: AC 75K
Checked Baggage and Long Stopover at YYZ?

Hi Everyone

Greetings from YXE, a place pretty much abandoned by AC. I am travelling to YQB in a few weeks. AC cannot get me there in one day and have an 18hr stopover in YYZ!!! If a check a bag in YXE, can I just leave it and pick it up in YQB the next day or do I have to collect it in YYZ.? Given it is the first few days of March Break and the GTAA is talking about limiting flight numbers I am unlikely to check a bag, but it is a week long business trip and my small carry on may not cut it.

So, in short, what happens to checked bags when there is a really long gap between flights

Thanks
YXEG
Old Feb 28, 2023, 11:44 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YXEGeordie
So, in short, what happens to checked bags when there is a really long gap between flights
Moderator note: merged with existing thread on this topic.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Returned from, UVF to YYT via YYZ on the weekend, with an 11 hour overnight in YYZ. Bags were checked through and we did not have to pick them up at Pearson. Is returning to Canada different from departing Canada or overnight domestic connections?

Last edited by Livyer; Feb 28, 2023 at 12:45 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 1, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K
YHZ to PLS with an overnight at YYZ last week. Bag was checked through to PLS and we did not have to pick it up and re-check it the next morning. The agent at YHZ said it’s a relatively recent change for international destinations.

This was the first I’d heard of this policy so for peace of mind we checked the carousel at YYZ anyway, but the bag didn’t come off, and the AirTag showed that it moved from the D to the E gates overnight in time for the flight. Sure made for an easier overnight stay without that checked bag to deal with.
m.y and Adam Smith like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC SE(w/*); NEXUS
Originally Posted by Livyer
Returned from, UVF to YYT via YYZ on the weekend, with an 11 hour overnight in YYZ. Bags were checked through and we did not have to pick them up at Pearson. Is returning to Canada different from departing Canada or overnight domestic connections?
Originally Posted by allizdog
YHZ to PLS with an overnight at YYZ last week. Bag was checked through to PLS and we did not have to pick it up and re-check it the next morning. The agent at YHZ said it’s a relatively recent change for international destinations.

This was the first I’d heard of this policy so for peace of mind we checked the carousel at YYZ anyway, but the bag didn’t come off, and the AirTag showed that it moved from the D to the E gates overnight in time for the flight. Sure made for an easier overnight stay without that checked bag to deal with.
I hope there's chance of this being the same for Domestics... Checked bag trip upcoming on an evening YVR-YYZ flight arriving 0204; onward departing 0800. It'd be great if we didn't have to grab those bags and could head straight to a real bed for a few hours.

Of course, if we're delayed by any amount (rare, I know) and it won't be tagged through, we can probably just head right upstairs to re-check and continue on our way. May not even have a long wait until the Cafe opens.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 4:24 pm

AC arrival - LHR night layover - SAS flight - checked bags (skis) question

Hello - I used to be a poster here but life changed and I haven't had status in 9 years - it's been so long that I no longer have access to the email I used for my original account

I always found the collective wisdom here helpful

My best friend and I are going skiing in Norway - we fly AC to Heathrow - land in the evening - leave the next morning on a SAS flight on the same itin/ticket

Just wondering if our skis will stay in checked baggage and fly onwards the next day - or will we have to retrieve them and check them in again the next morning - this might influence our plans including what hotel we stay in

Thanks for any help with this!
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:26 am

EVA Air checked our bags through to SFO with a 24 hour layover in YVR AC to SFO

Hello everyone,

We're flying from Cebu to San Francisco with a 24 hour layover in YVR.

Upon check in, they checked our bags all through to San Francisco.

Will Air Canada hold our bags for 24 hours? What about customs clearance? I'm so confused. We're in TPE now at the Infinity lounge and I'm wondering if we should look for our bags in YVR or not worry about it till SFO?

Thanks,

M.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by SFnFlaGuy
Will Air Canada hold our bags for 24 hours? What about customs clearance? I'm so confused. We're in TPE now at the Infinity lounge and I'm wondering if we should look for our bags in YVR or not worry about it till SFO?
They will not normally hold your bag overnight. You should look for your bags in YVR. If you're uncertain you can go to the service desk in the luggage pickup area and ask them to look up the location of your bags from the bag tags. Hopefully they'll tell you it's in YVR about to come out on a carousel.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:40 pm

is not checking bags through and having to pick them up during an overnight layover a YVR / AC / Canada thing? Or does this happen with other airlines / airports as well... AUH?
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Elvasoshexai
is not checking bags through and having to pick them up during an overnight layover a YVR / AC / Canada thing? Or does this happen with other airlines / airports as well... AUH?
Canadian airports generally aren't equipped to store bags on lengthy/overnight connections. As for AUH, well, you're probably better off asking in the EY/AUH forums. But I suspect the answer is yes, given its round-the-clock hub status.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 27, 2023 at 6:28 pm Reason: Remove response to deleted post
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
My parents are flying PMI-FRA-YYZ (overnight)-YYC. LH tagged the bags through to YYC, and the baggage desk at YYZ told them the bags would be held overnight - no need to pick them up until YYC tomorrow. We'll see what happens.
Old May 22, 2023, 12:52 pm

I have a trans-border to international connection at YYZ, the arrival is around 9PM and departure at 1AM, is the baggage checked-through or I have to claim and re-check due to overnight??

it is on the same ticket.

side question, if i have to claim and re-check, is 3.5 hours connection time enough as of J ticket both??

Thanks
Old May 23, 2023, 5:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by jackkyxu
I have a trans-border to international connection at YYZ, the arrival is around 9PM and departure at 1AM, is the baggage checked-through or I have to claim and re-check due to overnight??

it is on the same ticket.

side question, if i have to claim and re-check, is 3.5 hours connection time enough as of J ticket both??

Thanks
Does not sound an overnight layover at all …

I have successfully through checked from transborder to international and vice versa a few times WITH overnight layover last year. Unless AC changed its policy recently, I would say you are fine?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: AP 50k
Able to short check luggage on overnight at YVR to US destination

Flying YUL-YVR-KOA in December with an overnight in Vancouver and then continuing the following morning to Kona. Knowing we will clear US customs in Vancouver, we will be exiting the secure area of the airport upon landing and spending the night at the Fairmont. Do we know if Air Canada allows a short check to collect the bags in YVR, or will US customs require the bags go directly to them and stay in holding overnight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.