Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by pitz
Is DEN an AC operation, or a UA station that services AC flights?

Anyone know?

As I wrote in the other thread, I've had 100% success getting non-AC/non-Canadian interline partners to check overnight through YYZ. Its when dealing with QK or AC mainline stations where the problems happen.
By the looks of things, it probably has to do with the AC baggage handlers. They’re separate from GTAA/Swissport, or whatever T1 uses.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by yyztozag
By the looks of things, it probably has to do with the AC baggage handlers. They’re separate from GTAA/Swissport, or whatever T1 uses.
Whether they tag the bags through is a function of willingness, policy, and perhaps even training to do it in their IT systems, not the physical people at YYZ who have to receive the bags, stow them away, and ensure they're onloaded accordingly the next day.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Long day time YYZ connection - bags checked through?

Hi all, we are shortly due to fly South America-YYZ-Europe with a roughly 12 hour day time connection in YYZ, all sectors with Air Canada on a single ticket. We plan to leave the airport and check out Toronto for the day during our layover. I've read some now fairly dated threads about bags not being able to be held on long *overnight* connections at YYZ but will our checked bags be held for this length of time during the day or will be asked to pick them up and re-check them before our flight to Europe? Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by Bazz16202; Mar 27, 2022 at 6:52 am Reason: clarification
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:24 pm

Complex Short-Check Situation

Hi guys! I apologize in advance if this was mentioned but I have yet to find a thread with my exact situation.
I will be flying Air Canada from LaGuardia (LGA) to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories (YZF), with connections in Toronto (YYZ) and Edmonton (YEG). The first layover is 10 hours overnight in Toronto, and coincidentally where I live as well. I will be travelling with two checked bags from New York and would love to drop one bag at my house during the overnight layover in Toronto, since I don't need to take both bags with me up north.
My first question is if AC still holds baggage for overnight connections under 12 hours...and my second question, can I short check one bag to Toronto and have the other bag continue onwards to Yellowknife? I.e. do the same number of bags you check in at departure need to match the same number of bags you arrive at your destination with? Any advice is much appreciated, cheers!
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:03 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwiguy34
Hi guys!
With this being your first post, welcome to FT

I apologize in advance if this was mentioned but I have yet to find a thread with my exact situation.
There are a bunch of threads on checked baggage on overnight connections, which is why I've merged your post with one of them.

My first question is if AC still holds baggage for overnight connections under 12 hours
I'm not sure when they've ever done that, but not any time recently, as you'll see from this thread and others on the topic in the past few years.

and my second question, can I short check one bag to Toronto and have the other bag continue onwards to Yellowknife? I.e. do the same number of bags you check in at departure need to match the same number of bags you arrive at your destination with? Any advice is much appreciated, cheers!
In general, is it possible to short check one bag and not the other? Should be. But in this case, likely rendered moot by the fact AC will not want to hold your bag overnight at YYZ anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kiwiguy34
Hi guys! I apologize in advance if this was mentioned but I have yet to find a thread with my exact situation.
I will be flying Air Canada from LaGuardia (LGA) to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories (YZF), with connections in Toronto (YYZ) and Edmonton (YEG). The first layover is 10 hours overnight in Toronto, and coincidentally where I live as well. I will be travelling with two checked bags from New York and would love to drop one bag at my house during the overnight layover in Toronto, since I don't need to take both bags with me up north.
My first question is if AC still holds baggage for overnight connections under 12 hours...and my second question, can I short check one bag to Toronto and have the other bag continue onwards to Yellowknife? I.e. do the same number of bags you check in at departure need to match the same number of bags you arrive at your destination with? Any advice is much appreciated, cheers!

In general, overnight connections will be recognized in the system and anything over a certain threshold (the duration escapes me at the moment) will be tagged only to where the overnight will happen. In this case YYZ.
If bags are tagged through, there is a backend glitch that the system does not like multiple destinations for the same customer.
As an example, i was due to fly YYZ-YVR-YEG, One bag to YVR and two to YYC. The YVR made it on the first plane, and the YYC's never got loaded and went direct.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Personally...

I would short check them to YYZ, throw them in a rental car or luggage storage and go do your thing and re-check in with everything for your next leg
arf04 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE
You would normally not need to pick them up. Because 12h connection times are unusual those bags have a bigger chance of missing the connection.
If you have good credit card insurance I'd jump on that and go shopping in Europe. Just make sure you have the absolute essentials in a single carry-on.

If you prefer the higher chance of your bags making the transition you can short-check them as lchonen pointed out. Ask for this at check-in in person, not online. This will then require you to check them in again when you arrive back at YYZ after your excursion. You can pay for luggage storage at the airport to save yourself from taking it around. That's usually about $7-10 per bag.
asovse1 and WorldwideChoppers like this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:33 pm

AC will keep your bags on connections of up to 24 hours.
Unless you tell them otherwise.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:49 pm

Thank you all, I really appreciate your thoughts. I think we will ask them to be short checked to YYZ and put them in storage for the day as suggested.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Just make sure left luggage service is back open at YYZ.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 7:15 am

As a reference for anyone else who may face this issue, we didn’t try to check the bags to YYZ in the end but instead let AC hold them all the way to Europe. No problem at all and the bags arrived as planned at the other end.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Bazz16202
As a reference for anyone else who may face this issue, we didn’t try to check the bags to YYZ in the end but instead let AC hold them all the way to Europe. No problem at all and the bags arrived as planned at the other end.
Thanks for the update. Glad it all worked out and hope you enjoyed your short visit to Toronto.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:42 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
This works for International only - we had an overnight trip thru YYZ in March, flying thru to Punta Cana our bags were checked thru all the way w/a 13-hour connection. Similar connection time coming back for domestic and they wouldn't do it, so we took our bags to the hotel room (it was going to cost us $40 to leave the bags I believe with the bag drop company, wasn't worth it for us)
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I know this thread is for YYZ, but I figured a lot of the expertise would also apply for YUL so please forgive me for piggybacking.

I'm booked on VIE-YUL on OS, connecting to YYZ on AC the next morning. Will I have to drag my bag along for the quick overnight hotel stay?

It's on one ticket so I'm assuming OS will tag it to YYZ, albeit with the need to re-check after CBSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.