FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers
Old Jun 14, 2023, 4:36 pm
Bartolo

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by bigjon94
Flying YUL-YVR-KOA in December with an overnight in Vancouver and then continuing the following morning to Kona. Knowing we will clear US customs in Vancouver, we will be exiting the secure area of the airport upon landing and spending the night at the Fairmont. Do we know if Air Canada allows a short check to collect the bags in YVR, or will US customs require the bags go directly to them and stay in holding overnight?
l’ve done this several times. Instructed to collect bags and keep them until the morning. If there’s no overnight involved, it’s a different process.

FYI, on my last trip the agent gave me both boarding passes in YYZ (my starting airport). She had to force the second one manually. Big mistake. she was trying to be helpful but it didn’t work. The next day, I went straight to the US customs entry machines/bag drop area. machine would not accept my inputs.

Long story short, AC had to cancel the “manual” boarding pass and bag tags and redo everything. It presented challenges never explained to me and it took forever. Had left the hotel in plenty of time intending to have a leisurely breakfast in the lounge. Had to go straight to the gate as the aircraft was already boarding.

Not sure if you’ve stayed at the Fairmont YVR. You can use a trolley for the bags but only as far as their lobby (hotel is in a different terminal from domestic arrivals). It’s a bit of a walk. Hotel does not permit trolleys beyond the lobby. There is a lift from the concourse to the lobby.

Good news is the next day, it’s 90 steps to US checkin. A Fairmont employee actually counted. That part was very quick.