Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Please point to the clause in the contract of carriage that states "quiet environment" or "tranquil flight". Noone paid for that. And from what it sounds like, if you want to get technical, the parents and kid were the ones who paid for the flight. Perhaps if the upgraders in J didnt like it - they couldve moved back to Y.

And I hope I didnt read that right and you are not suggesting that the child be "muffled by blankets"
Terms of carriage don't say you must be dressed either. However, AC's product advertises a quiet and refined atmosphere, and that's what 20 other passengers paid for, either full fare or higher economy fare for upgrading with cash and eUps. As for the proper use of a blanket, the same wrapping of the mother and child used for breast feeding in public will muffle much of the crying of an infant.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I feel like there has to be more to the story, unless maybe the kids were crying during a portion where everyone were sleeping...but even then, they can't just boot you. If you're in Economy they can't kick you into the lav.

I can't think what would tempt an FA to do this. As much as I would've been absolutely steamed trying to get some sleep after paying my $3000, I'd have a hard time with anyone getting kicked out but not kicked OFF the plane.

I'm not saying anyone is lying, but that something is missing here. Seriously. Who would invite this PR nightmare even if someone in J was complaining and pulling a DYKWIA type move.

The parents really need to control the 3 year old though. Between making a mess and then coloring on the wall, there's gotta be some discipline. Though that doesn't mean kick them out.

As far as the screaming kid, just out of respect for passengers, J or Y...TAKE the kid away. Front galley or better yet back galley as there's more space, assuming this was a 767. Try to settle the kid down, warm milk, whatever it is you do. But just sitting there and hoping it stops seems a bit disrespectful.

Last edited by drvannostren; Nov 19, 2015 at 5:35 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
This is wholly different than a whailing baby screaming their lungs off.

It's either this, or every other J passenger gets their money back or % off. Defective IFE is what, 10%? Screaming baby should be worth a lot more.

WRONG.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
This is wholly different than a whailing baby screaming their lungs off.

It's either this, or every other J passenger gets their money back or % off. Defective IFE is what, 10%? Screaming baby should be worth a lot more.
How much is a belligerent drunk in J worth then since we are arbitrarily making stuff up?

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Terms of carriage don't say you must be dressed either. However, AC's product advertises a quiet and refined atmosphere, and that's what 20 other passengers paid for, either full fare or higher economy fare for upgrading with cash and eUps. As for the proper use of a blanket, the same wrapping of the mother and child used for breast feeding in public will muffle much of the crying of an infant.
The kids in question were not infants. Good luck wrapping a toddler in a blanket to muffle them.
The passengers paid to get to Japan. If they dont like public transport and all that comes with it fly private.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 19, 2015 at 9:24 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:52 pm

This case is odd, to say the least. I've seen kids in J who've been unruly, but never a downgrade. Seen parents calm their children down in galleys and seen FAs help children calm by taking them walkabout. Permanent downgrade? Nope.

If AC doesn't want unruly kids in J because they're difficult to control, they shouldn't sell J tickets to people travelling with children. If they do, they really ought to accept some of the risk that goes with it. Or maybe advertise somewhere that unruly kids will result in involuntary downgrades.

The real question is: how would other airlines handle it? I've seen 9W and VS handle it very differently.

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Unless, kid is over 2 and fare was not paid on him or her or flying on staff passes?
Took 2.5 hours for someone else to point out the passport requirement would rule this out.

The irony is that those who want to fact check OPs narrative haven't fact checked their own narrative. Just make it up and hope it sticks, eh?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
WRONG.
And that's where the disagreement lies.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
AC's product advertises a quiet and refined atmosphere, and that's what 20 other passengers paid for.
In that case, AC shouldn't be selling seats to children, or to people travelling with children.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Seems to me there is a very large part of this story missing. FAs just don't move people unless there is a serious disruption.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by xLuther
No where does poster list ages of kids, why do you claim lap child is <2 ? does not say that any where I see.

I have seen people try to pull this a few times, claiming child under 2, get a free ride.

They have only paid for 3 seats, Lying about age of child could be considered attempted fraud.

Again my WAG, younger one was 3-5 and was splitting seat with older one after take off. Things went badly got a choice of buying another J seat in the air ( after FA or SD forced issue) or move back to Y
This is impossible due to the APIS requirement (and passport check at boarding)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
And that's where the disagreement lies.
I don't know how anyone can condone the arbitrary decision of an FA to deprive 4 pax of a Service they *paid* for because a kid was being a kid, but indeed, therein lies the disagreement. I guess some people just want whatever works best for them personally regardless of what's acceptable in public.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
OP is leaving out very substantive points from the story (or wasn't told them by the pax).

Otherwise, very glad to see disruptive children removed from J cabin, though some modest comp is due for the downgrade.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Seems to me there is a very large part of this story missing. FAs just don't move people unless there is a serious disruption.
FAs shouldn't move anybody unless it's in preparation for being picked up by local police upon landing.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim
I don't know how anyone can condone the arbitrary decision of an FA to deprive 4 pax of a Service they *paid* for because a kid was being a kid, but indeed, therein lies the disagreement. I guess some people just want whatever works best for them personally regardless of what's acceptable in public.
I missed the update.

My original thought was (and could apply in theory to such situations):
... the question is wether the kid paid J or not.

If the kid was a legal lap infant, then they should be entitled to have him on their lap (although....some airlines I think forbid lapchildren on angled pods)

If the kid had a paid Y only, then that would be part of any missing element from the OP story

If the kid was an illegal lap child (over 2 "smuggled" on board as lapchild), then it's a completely different story, but still no reason to penalize all 3 J pax for that.

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; Nov 19, 2015 at 6:35 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
Well, I guess the question then is to ask "is it ok that a parent lets their kid holler for a long period of time?". It's not acceptable at a restaurant, it's certainly not acceptable on an airplane (in some of our opinions), but it isn't "ok" in any situation. (e.g. long term wailing)

Most parents would be so ashamed that they....say take their kid out of the restaurant - something that isn't possible onboard, granted, but there are FAR too many missing pieces of this story.

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
OP is leaving out very substantive points from the story (or wasn't told them by the pax).

Otherwise, very glad to see disruptive children removed from J cabin, though some modest comp is due for the downgrade.
^^
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Allvest
I think the question is wether the kid paid J or not.

If the kid was a legal lap infant, then they should be entitled to have him on their lap (although....some airlines I think forbid lapchildren on angled pods)

If the kid had a paid Y only, then that would be part of any missing element from the OP story

If the kid was an illegal lap child (over 2 "smuggled" on board as lapchild), then it's a completely different story, but still no reason to penalize all 3 J pax for that.

So, nobody knows, except the OP managed to raise more questions than answers.

Info was provided upthread

3 PAID J seats. And then debate ensued or the disruptive nature of crayons.

Originally Posted by yuubah
I'll try to clarify some things. 2 adults, 3 year old and a 16 month old. 3 paid seats, and the infant sat on a lap.

Her 3 year old got popcorn crumbs everywhere, dirtied two blankets from spilled water, and candy. crayon was scribbled on a wall, and somehow broke a reclining seat (not sure how that's possible, but with AC quality it was probably already breaking anyway). Baby was crying for about an hour, but calmed down after. Other PAX were complaining they were too disruptive, so they got the boot. it was a very stressful situation for both parents, last thing they needed was to be told move all their stuff to another seat mid flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.