Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 25k
Angry Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

So my sister, her husband and their 2 kids were travelling overseas on an Air Canada flight from YYC-NRT. His company paid for 3 business class seats, and one child sat on their lap. Around half way through the flight, the kids started crying and making a fuss (yes we know how annoying that can be), so the flight attendant told them they all needed to leave and move to economy. Now I'm not sure exactly how long the kids were crying for, so I can't comment on that. So all 4 of them left their business seats, and spent the rest of the flight in coach.

I think that's completely out of line, is that even allowed? Shouldn't they be compensated for losing their business seats at least?? If you pay $3000 per seat, shouldn't you get a refund if they ask you to leave? They offered them no compensation, no voucher or anything.

I'm worried because we'll be travelling with my kid to visit them next year, and what if my kid starts making a fuss, will we get kicked out of business too? is this a new policy?

*Edit for clarification*
I'll try to clarify some things. 2 adults, 3 year old and a 16 month old. 3 paid seats, and the infant sat on a lap.

Her 3 year old got popcorn crumbs everywhere, dirtied two blankets from spilled water, and candy. crayon was scribbled on a wall, and somehow broke a reclining seat (not sure how that's possible, but with AC quality it was probably already breaking anyway). Baby was crying for about an hour, but calmed down after. Other PAX were complaining they were too disruptive, so they got the boot. it was a very stressful situation for both parents, last thing they needed was to be told move all their stuff to another seat mid flight.

Update: Dec 2
So air Canada has still not replied to my sisters complaint. It's been almost 2 weeks and they haven't even acknowledged her concern. She's tried calling them, but the representatives keep telling her to email her complaint, as that is the only way to let her complaint be heard.

So what is the next step? Going to CBC isn't going to work since they are out of the country. Would posting her concerns in twitter or Facebook generate some response??

It's ridiculous that Air Canada is not addressing this issue.

Last edited by yuubah; Dec 2, 2015 at 9:44 am Reason: clarification
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by yuubah
So my sister, her husband and their 2 kids were travelling overseas on an Air Canada flight from YYC-NRT. His company paid for 3 business class seats, and one child sat on their lap. Around half way through the flight, the kids started crying and making a fuss (yes we know how annoying that can be), so the flight attendant told them they all needed to leave and move to economy. Now I'm not sure exactly how long the kids were crying for, so I can't comment on that. So all 4 of them left their business seats, and spent the rest of the flight in coach.

I think that's completely out of line, is that even allowed? Shouldn't they be compensated for losing their business seats at least?? If you pay $3000 per seat, shouldn't you get a refund if they ask you to leave? They offered them no compensation, no voucher or anything.

I'm worried because we'll be travelling with my kid to visit them next year, and what if my kid starts making a fuss, will we get kicked out of business too? is this a new policy?
5% discount code? (just kidding)

We have a baby that we haven't travelled with yet. But being "that family" with the crying child on a flight is something I hope doesn't happen.

Being asked to leave business class like that is unheard of. Is there more to the story about how the children were behaving, besides merely crying?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yuubah

I would demand fare difference, or a SWU credited to my account for each PAX.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
5% discount code? (just kidding)

We have a baby that we haven't travelled with yet. But being "that family" with the crying child on a flight is something I hope doesn't happen.

Being asked to leave business class like that is unheard of. Is there more to the story about how the children were behaving, besides merely crying?
What could a child possibly do to get kicked out of a cabin? If the behaviour is anything short of threatening to other pax then it is hard to imagine, and if the behaviour is a safety issue, then putting them in coach is not a solution.

Totally not acceptable IMO.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
"Your baby is crying. You can't be bothering people in the cabin you paid for, so you must bother people in the other cabin. Leave. Now."

Amazing that any airline would do this. I wouldn't just demand fare difference between J and Y, but a whole lot more. Completely unacceptable.

Last edited by ffsim; Nov 19, 2015 at 11:26 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
"You're baby is crying. You can't be bothering people in the cabin you paid for, so you must bother people in the other cabin. Leave. Now."

Amazing that any airline would do this. I wouldn't just demand fare difference between J and Y, but a whole lot more. Completely unacceptable.
If this were an EU flight, I would use EU261/2004 to get 75% of fare back.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Call the CBC, seriously.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Call the CBC, seriously.
Wow, you beat me to it. ^+1

If anything, just to find out what AC's side of the story is because, unless there's really something missing from all of us, they have no excuse.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'd be surprised if there wasn't more to this story. Warnings first? What exactly were they doing?

That said, with our little one having spent several flights in pods (both on our lap, and now with his own seat) - whenever he made a fuss (very rarely) I would often take him for a walk back to economy. Surprised they didn't proactively do that? It's obvious you are bothering people who have paid to sleep or rest.

It would be nice if they made the mini-cabin the only place for kids on planes that don't have it so we didn't worry about bothering anyone. On a recent flight the crew had us moved from the mini-cabin forward because we were the only ones there... that was the point!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeyyz
I'd be surprised if there wasn't more to this story. Warnings first? What exactly were they doing?

That said, with our little one having spent several flights in pods (both on our lap, and now with his own seat) - whenever he made a fuss (very rarely) I would often take him for a walk back to economy. Surprised they didn't proactively do that? It's obvious you are bothering people who have paid to sleep or rest.
Whilst I agree that this may bother others, I disagree that this should result them being sent to Y.
(and I say this as a victim of crying babies on a TATL...)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
yuubah,

I'm sorry, but this is beyond outrageous. It is beyond unprofessional.

As many here know, I fly YVR-NRT on a regular basis. There have been infants and children in J cabin on many occasions. Infants cry. That's life. I am sure your sister and family did their best to comfort their child.

In no way would I EVER give up my seat in a very expensive cabin to move to economy or elsewhere.

I realize this is hindsight as we were not there with you but, I would have taken the name of that flight attendant. I would have spoken to the SD (unless they were the same person) and taken their name.

Then I would have recorded audio or video conversation on my phone. Others here may say that is a breach of privacy. This crew member's behaviour was far worse. IMO.

Who in their right mind would force PAID BUSINESS CLASS passengers to move because their child was crying.

If going to the media ensures that Air Canada provides full compensation for denying your sister and her family the seats they paid for, then do it.

(and yes, I do get the "position" that AC got them to their destination. Of course they did, but that is not the point here....and a 5% or 15% promo code will not solve the problem - nor prevent this from happening to someone else.)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Call the CBC, seriously.
Or maybe, contact AC and give them the opportunity to address the issue, which they likely would, if what we're being told is accurate.

I'm so sick of people running to the media to air every grievance, real or imagined. So many have a massive victim complex, and expect the world to solve their problems. How about you man up, and let the company try to fix it before you run bawling to the CBC.

I'm not condoning the FA behaviour, if this story actually happened, it's horrible. However, AC should have the opportunity to address this internally before whining to the world.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 25k
Yes, we are pretty outraged that the flight attendant had the gall to send them back to economy. They're moving to another country for work, so they won't be back in Canada for awhile. But I'll tell them to start the process and demand compensation and a formal apology. Contacting the media is a good idea too.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
Or maybe, contact AC and give them the opportunity to address the issue, which they likely would, if what we're being told is accurate.

I'm so sick of people running to the media to air every grievance, real or imagined. So many have a massive victim complex, and expect the world to solve their problems. How about you man up, and let the company try to fix it before you run bawling to the CBC.

I'm not condoning the FA behaviour, if this story actually happened, it's horrible. However, AC should have the opportunity to address this internally before whining to the world.

Yes, going to the media should not be the first step and nor did I suggest it as a first step, but let's admit this was really stupid and should never have happened.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Why would they even accept the move to economy? I would have spoken to the SD and then asked to speak to the captain too. I mean is it ok for a child to cry in economy but not in business? I have heard of OPup pax moved from F to J because infants were not supposed to be allowed in F on that airline. But this case seems silly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.