Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:48 am

This story has much more to it or it's total hogwash. One or the other.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
It's obvious you are bothering people who have paid to sleep or rest.
That's a very interesting point. What about the 20 other people who paid so they could get some decent sleep?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 25k
I'm sure the SD was aware they were getting moved to economy, but I don't know for sure. This is her first time in business, and his 2nd or 3rd, so they probably didn't know they have any recourse.

I told them to contact air canada customer relations to see what they say. i'll share their response here when they get it.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Fleck
This story has much more to it or it's total hogwash. One or the other.
Also possible since none of us were there.

(I'm using bold just in case someone missed this point made by others)

Originally Posted by vernonc
Why would they even accept the move to economy? I would have spoken to the SD and then asked to speak to the captain too. I mean is it ok for a child to cry in economy but not in business? I have heard of OPup pax moved from F to J because infants were not supposed to be allowed in F on that airline. But this case seems silly.
Just an anecdote - I've flow 4 LH F LH and ULH this year and all 4 F cabins had 2 seats set aside for parents with infants.

And yes, great question BTW: " is it ok for a child to cry in economy but not in business?"

Last edited by 24left; Nov 19, 2015 at 11:59 am Reason: add
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
As usual we tend to make assumptions and thus cannot give advice when we only hear one side of the story.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by 24left
And yes, great question BTW: " is it ok for a child to cry in economy but not in business?"
Or put another way, is it better to disturb 60 people instead of disturbing 20?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cperciva
Or put another way, is it better to disturb 60 people instead of disturbing 20?
Yes, as if people in economy are non-human!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Yes, as if people in economy are non-human!
They call it cattle class for a reason.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I would demand fare difference, or a SWU credited to my account for each PAX.
Really? And who exactly would get the fare difference? If any refund is due, it would go to whoever paid for the ticket (the boss), no? Or are you suggesting the person/wife/child pocket a few grand?
And whats an AC SWU?

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's a very interesting point. What about the 20 other people who paid so they could get some decent sleep?
If they want decent sleep, they can pay to fly private and not use public transportation

I agree with some others - call the CBC - the media loves these evil corporation stories, and with a baby involved, all the better.

Headline: AC hates children!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Just to throw it out there, British Airways has bassinet seats in J (on both upper and lower decks of a 744) and are held back from being able to be selected by those without infants until T-72.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Just to throw it out there, British Airways has bassinet seats in J (on both upper and lower decks of a 744) and are held back from being able to be selected by those without infants until T-72.
Also LH F 2D and 2K on the 340 and 330, are set aside for bassinet and held back until T-24 (or less as was the case).

There was a question asked in another thread recently about 2A on the 788/9 with the bassinet directly in front and is it held back.

Unfortunately, none of this matters to the situation noted by OP.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:48 pm

I would like to hear both sides and full details, age of kids, were they running around the cabin, screaming, and being a general nuisance ( parents expecting others to watch/deal with their kids ) Was 'lap child' actually too old to be considered one ?

To remove them from cabin sounds more like multiple issues, not just 'crying' I have noise cancelling headsets for that, and they include earplugs in dinky travel kit they give out,

Everyone has had to deal with crying kids and bad parents bigger story here
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by yuubah
So my sister, her husband and their 2 kids were travelling overseas on an Air Canada flight from YYC-NRT. His company paid for 3 business class seats, and one child sat on their lap. Around half way through the flight, the kids started crying and making a fuss (yes we know how annoying that can be), so the flight attendant told them they all needed to leave and move to economy. Now I'm not sure exactly how long the kids were crying for, so I can't comment on that. So all 4 of them left their business seats, and spent the rest of the flight in coach.

I think that's completely out of line, is that even allowed? Shouldn't they be compensated for losing their business seats at least?? If you pay $3000 per seat, shouldn't you get a refund if they ask you to leave? They offered them no compensation, no voucher or anything.

I'm worried because we'll be travelling with my kid to visit them next year, and what if my kid starts making a fuss, will we get kicked out of business too? is this a new policy?
Getting into some of the details:

(1) Your post mentions that both kids (infant and older child) were crying and generally upset. What are the ages of the kids?

Generally speaking non walking infants get a pass on just about anything. But if the youngest is 22-23 months this can change the situation quite a bit.

(2) I disagree with others suggestion that your sibling should take their disagreement to the media. For starters any media is going to want to interview the family in Canada. As this is a relocation trip, the media are unlikely to take up the cause with the aggrieved party on foreign soil.

3) Getting back to the age and actions of the kids, I can come up with a couple of examples where moving the family to economy would be a reasonable approach All the examples I can come up with involve the parents being unable to keep the kids in their seats as requested/demanded by the FAs. So for example if the kids are roaming around and will not comply with FA instructions to sit back down, then moving parents and kids to economy where the parents can coral the kids by sitting in aisle seats is a reasonable recommendation.

(4) what were the parents reactions to FAs requests/demands? This could be a situation that got out of hand because the parents were offended they were being lectured or ordered how to parent their children. The miss communication occurs because the parents fail to understand their position and authority of the FA/SD. While its unreasonable to ask the parents to force the kids to stop crying, if the kids are getting out of their seats or otherwise being disruptive to the cabin, the expectation is that parents have the means and inclination to restrain and discipline the child. The problem arises where parents are unwilling to carry out requests to discipline their children and/or apologize for the kids actions. Example: Parent is unwilling to use the word "No" to their child or use any form of negative discipline (time out, stern talking to, explanation that kids actions are unsatisfactory"), instead the parent lets the child do whatever they want, getting upset when another party takes umbrage with the lack of appropriate parental response to the child's action.

At the end of the day, if you disagree with FA or pilot directions; the place to air your grievances is on the ground not inside the tube. Attempts to ignore or argue with the FA or pilot will not end well.

Edit to add: I am Dad to a 5 year old and have traveled domestic first/business with my kid. I have also run into situations where i have to mediate disagreements between crew and members of my family. Specifically If wife chooses to sit in economy; she cannot constantly come up to business class to visit her daughter. I had to take the FA side and talk with my wife; bear the brunt of wife's displeasure at airline rules.

Last edited by WR Cage; Nov 19, 2015 at 12:58 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do they have any proof that they were told to move back to economy and that they sat in coach for most (how much time, exactly?) of the flight?

It's fine to say that they should have resisted moving or asked to speak to the captain, but doing something like that can be risky in that in can be viewed as disobeying a FA's orders (as ridiculous as those orders are).
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Getting into some of the details:......

3) Getting back to the age and actions of the kids, I can come up with a couple of examples where moving the family to economy would be a reasonable approach All the examples I can come up with involve the parents being unable to keep the kids in their seats as requested/demanded by the FAs. So for example if the kids are roaming around and will not comply with FA instructions to sit back down, then moving parents and kids to economy where the parents can coral the kids by sitting in aisle seats is a reasonable recommendation.....

Small detail here but, if the second child was a young toddler and was "having a moment" and refused to sit in their J seat, why would you think they would sit in their seat when moved back to Y?

We do not know where they were in J, nor where they were moved to in Y. The YYC-NRT runs a 763, so we know the seating set-up.

To me it seems more like the AC crew member was more interested in the "comfort" of the rest of the J cabin and not necessarily having the young child behave any better in Y.

(And yes, the is all speculation on the part of us Monday-morning quarterbacks.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.