Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by yuubah
So my sister, her husband and their 2 kids were travelling overseas on an Air Canada flight from YYC-NRT. His company paid for 3 business class seats, and one child sat on their lap. Around half way through the flight, the kids started crying and making a fuss (yes we know how annoying that can be), so the flight attendant told them they all needed to leave and move to economy. Now I'm not sure exactly how long the kids were crying for, so I can't comment on that. So all 4 of them left their business seats, and spent the rest of the flight in coach.

I think that's completely out of line, is that even allowed? Shouldn't they be compensated for losing their business seats at least?? If you pay $3000 per seat, shouldn't you get a refund if they ask you to leave? They offered them no compensation, no voucher or anything.

I'm worried because we'll be travelling with my kid to visit them next year, and what if my kid starts making a fuss, will we get kicked out of business too? is this a new policy?

I would think they could not kick them out of J class and more than compensation should take place. Unless, kid is over 2 and fare was not paid on him or her or flying on staff passes?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fleck
This story has much more to it or it's total hogwash. One or the other.
+1
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eastcoastcan
What could a child possibly do to get kicked out of a cabin? If the behaviour is anything short of threatening to other pax then it is hard to imagine, and if the behaviour is a safety issue, then putting them in coach is not a solution.
All I know, if a under 2 years old is this much trouble, what happens when he or she is 18, JAIL?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Small detail here but, if the second child was a young toddler and was "having a moment" and refused to sit in their J seat, why would you think they would sit in their seat when moved back to Y?

(And yes, the is all speculation on the part of us Monday-morning quarterbacks.)
(putting quarterback helmet on): If a toddler was sitting in a pod seat, but wanted to run around - it would be difficult to keep them there, the pod walls would get in the way. If a toddler was sitting next to you in a Y seat, it would be much easier for the parent to hold & keep them there.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I would think they could not kick them out of J class and more than compensation should take place. Unless, kid is over 2 and fare was not paid on him or her or flying on staff passes?
OP already noted that it was 3 PAID BUSINESS TICKETS

Originally Posted by canopus27
(putting quarterback helmet on): If a toddler was sitting in a pod seat, but wanted to run around - it would be difficult to keep them there, the pod walls would get in the way. If a toddler was sitting next to you in a Y seat, it would be much easier for the parent to hold & keep them there.
Yes. Nice helmet BTW
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:30 pm
Suspended

OP already noted that it was 3 PAID BUSINESS TICKETS
Yes, sometime times "Paid" is not always paid in the end on FT. Also, if the second kid is over 2, she/he also needs a ticket. If this is the case, problem for mom and dad.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:33 pm

if you are unable to handle kids in stressy situations the other passengers should ask for compensation and you should learn how to interact and solve your kids
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canopus27
This is pretty much the only thing I can think of, and was about to suggest myself until realizing you beat me to it.

Basically, as a parent of 2 small children myself, I have travelled with an infant (<1yr) in J, but avoid J (actually the pods, not so much J itself) for this very reason until both kids are clear of the 2-4 year range because of my own concerns of them being out of reach in their own seats while the seatbelt sign is on and I can't get up to control/assist them. In turbulence, this could be a serious and dangerous situation. When seats are side-by-side like in Y or some non-pod J planes, this wouldn't be a problem, assuming the children are seated within arms reach.

With so little detail, so we are left to guess, but this is all I could come up with.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AP SPG HH
There were three paid seats. If the second kid was over 2 and should have been a paid seat why was that not dealt with at check-in or even boarding?
IMO if AC is willing to sell tickets (and profit from that practice) to kids then they need some published ground rules so that all involved understand and know what is expected and what to expect when travelling on a public conveyance. If people are not willing to deal with crying babies and toddlers then they should travel on private planes where their sleep and relaxation can be assured. As I see it their rights are no more important than the rights of the parents. This reminds me of the barking dog thread a few days ago. AC has decided to allow dogs in the cabin for a fee so AC has to deal with it and the problems that practice causes.
I am sure Ben Lipsey still follows this forum and will contact the OP before this gets to CBC/CTV/Global/Toronto Star. Actually I'd be surprised of AC didn't have staff monitoring this forum anyway.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
There were three paid seats. If the second kid was over 2 and should have been a paid seat why was that not dealt with at check-in or even boarding?
IMO if AC is willing to sell tickets (and profit from that practice) to kids then they need some published ground rules so that all involved understand and know what is expected and what to expect when travelling on a public conveyance. If people are not willing to deal with crying babies and toddlers then they should travel on private planes where their sleep and relaxation can be assured. As I see it their rights are no more important than the rights of the parents. This reminds me of the barking dog thread a few days ago. AC has decided to allow dogs in the cabin for a fee so AC has to deal with it and the problems that practice causes.
I am sure Ben Lipsey still follows this forum and will contact the OP before this gets to CBC/CTV/Global/Toronto Star. Actually I'd be surprised of AC didn't have staff monitoring this forum anyway.
CBC will not post this story on their website because they will be holding it for the opening story on The National. Only CBC would find this real news.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Perhaps then, AC should not sell J tickets to pax travelling with children under the age of 10, or between 1-10 years, or teenagers (have you ever seen how some of them behave even when buckled into their seats?), or adults who drink too much....or....
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Small detail here but, if the second child was a young toddler and was "having a moment" and refused to sit in their J seat, why would you think they would sit in their seat when moved back to Y?
As others have said, it all comes down to immediate access and physically blocking the child from moving about the cabin.

From my own experience, sitting beside the child sets the tone of the interaction, they know best behavior is expected. Example, its dinner time and Miss Cage is sitting across from me not eating her dinner. I get up and move to the seat immediately beside her. All non eating interactions immediately stop, even although nothing verbal is said.

Getting back to the issue at hand. Last family vacation Miss Cage decided to attempt to get up out of her window seat just after rotation. She unlatched the seat belt and looked straight at me (with a disapproving glare on my face). put the seat belt back on. Return trip home she sat in the aisle seat and didn't think twice about getting up out of her chair.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'd love to hear both sides of the story too. My first reaction however was good on Air Canada for taking action. I am sick and (expletive deleted) tired of parents who do nothing when their children whine, cry, throw tantrums, kick the seat in front of them and run around the cabin. If you bred it, control it or leave it at home.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I'd love to hear both sides of the story too.
Yep, good for you. I'd like to hear more details, too.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
My first reaction however was good on Air Canada for taking action.
Shame on you. I truncated your anti-child / anti-parent rant so no one else needs to read it again.

Is there ever a reason to remove pax from business class that doesn't involve removing the pax from the flight completely?

I mean, let's be serious here. Forget that there are 2 non-adults involved; the fact that kids are involved doesn't matter one iota. Pax paid for the correct number of seats in the J cabin because if the lap child was >2 this family would never have ended up on the plane in the first place since ID is verified at check-in. So we have J pax who are forced to leave the J cabin due to some sort of disturbance which neither forced the plane to land nor have them end up in jail.

I'm trying real hard here, but I can't think of *any* instance where J pax should be 'exiled' from the J cabin that doesn't involve some sort of restraint, diversion or law enforcement intervention.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Fleck
This story has much more to it or it's total hogwash. One or the other.
Considering how many threads have been on FT over the years about screaming babies and other annoyances in premium cabins, and the fact that I don't ever recall seeing one mention the offending party being moved to a lower cabin, I too find it a bit hard to believe there isn't more to the story.

Last edited by djk7; Nov 19, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.