Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to leave business class? Compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by i59bravo
It seems pretty clear cut to me that banning infants or small children from business class altogether, as some posters appear to advocate, would violate the Canadian Human Rights Act.
I fail to see how. The airline isn't declining carriage, it's declining access to an adult-oriented product.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
No such a thing as bad kids, as I like to remind my mom. Ultimately the kids behavior is the responsibility of the parents.
Absolutely. But the airline can anticipate the problem and assign personnel to provide a solution:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2792089/etihad-airways-offers-free-flying-nannies-board-long-haul-flights.html

Cheers
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
Crumbs, dirty blankets and spilled water. Yep, sounds exactly like "throwing trash all around."
Sounds like standard AC cleanliness level for J long-haul.

Perhaps the family was excommunicated to Y for cheapening the J cabin?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Absolutely. But the airline can anticipate the problem and assign personnel to provide a solution:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...l-flights.html

Cheers
Great...I would love to have J fares for AC increase so that they could have flying nannies to accommodate parents lacking either spine or skill to properly supervise their own children.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: *A, PD
So when the FA spills water/drinks on you when serving does the FA get sent back to serve economy?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TheFerret
So when the FA spills water/drinks on you when serving does the FA get sent back to serve economy?
If she cries, and starts colouring on the wall, yes, possibly.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:00 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by wrp96
So the seat is now broken. Could it have been a case of it was broken enough that no one could sit there anymore? And thus to keep the family together the suggestion was for all to move back to coach, and through a miscommunication the family thought they were being forced back?
^
Just catching up on FT and wading through this great thread - amazing that it took 100+ posts for someone to propose this very plausible explanation, one in which neither parents nor AC staff are serial child abusers and in which a misunderstanding leads to an unfortunate outcome.

Can't wait to see how this possibility gets flamed downthread.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
I'm especially concerned about the popcorn...

Where did they get it and how come none was offered to me on AC007/008 last week ? I was on a Z fare for heaven's sake.

I think I smell some hot-buttered compensation coming my way !

Last edited by NordsFan; Nov 20, 2015 at 9:13 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by SYM
^
Just catching up on FT and wading through this great thread - amazing that it took 100+ posts for someone to propose this very plausible explanation, one in which neither parents nor AC staff are serial child abusers and in which a misunderstanding leads to an unfortunate outcome.

Can't wait to see how this possibility gets flamed downthread.
I like the theory as well.

Or, from the wee bit of secondhand info we have, it seems the child might have been trying to create a waterpark out of the J seat.

So, to sum up, we have:

1. Wrp96's mechanical theory
2. Useless parents/rogue child theory
3. Jackboot FA theory
4. All of the above or some combination there of

It's a good day on FT.

Edit: What the heck. I'll throw my own theory: J pax slipped the FA a c-note to get the rabble family sent back to no man's land.

Last edited by Fleck; Nov 20, 2015 at 1:38 pm
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
The old pod seats aren't easy to 'break'. Could totally see a situation where the child was jumping on a partially reclined back and made the gears or pistons jam, requiring a seat 'reset' to be performed. IME, one in ten of these 'seat resets' fails.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Let's say the family really was causing total pan-delirium up in J.

So now you have a situation with no uniformly good answer, but there needs to be some sort of solution. Every solution is a bad solution. One bad solution is packing them up and putting them somewhere else.

I don't terribly object to the family being moved to Y, based on the premise that it would be easier to contain them in tighter confines. And just the move itself might shock a little sense into the youngster having a bad day.

But I would also expect them to be met at the destination with an AC staff member handing over a money order for three times the difference between the cost of full J and full Y tickets (for a total of 7269CAD by my calculation), no questions asked, with an apology for not having provided what they had paid for, and a request that they please choose other airlines for their future travel plans.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:57 am

Did AC know there would be children is J? Yes
Does AC know kids can be loud and make a mess on an airplane? I assume they do

Why is AC surprised when the kids act like kids, if they don't want that in J, don't sell J seats to people with kids.

But really moving them to another part of the plane to bug more people is the answer? Please I'd keep bugging AC until I got a full refund. But I'm a guy who makes a scene and is loud and some may call me an .

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 20, 2015 at 10:25 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
If I was in Y in saw this happen id start complaining - you now moved a loud annoying to family in an area to bug me? Imagine if you were on the same row.

I'm actually surprised people didn't start b*tching either on the flight or after.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by zorn
Let's say the family really was causing total pan-delirium up in J.

So now you have a situation with no uniformly good answer, but there needs to be some sort of solution. Every solution is a bad solution. One bad solution is packing them up and putting them somewhere else.

I don't terribly object to the family being moved to Y, based on the premise that it would be easier to contain them in tighter confines. And just the move itself might shock a little sense into the youngster having a bad day.

But I would also expect them to be met at the destination with an AC staff member handing over a money order for three times the difference between the cost of full J and full Y tickets (for a total of 7269CAD by my calculation), no questions asked, with an apology for not having provided what they had paid for, and a request that they please choose other airlines for their future travel plans.
Oh my - what a sensible solution. ^
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I think they should have offered a Y seat to anyone in the J cabin that was disturbed. Moreover they should have done so FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.