Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards limit to ten reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Rewards limit to ten reservations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Stranger
Seems to me the numbers don't add up? Only been flying for one month, spouse accompanying, two trips per month should mean only two IKKs should have been used?

Further, if you spouse flies 12 times/year on Aeroplan miles, either you accumulate lots of miles, or her flights take relatively few miles? The former case might make sense admittedly.

I do more or less the same, but I never accumulate enough miles to cover all of my wife's trips. She typically flies three to four times a year overseas, in front, either Aeroplan or when I run out of miles, revenue, upgraded or paid P/Z. Plus typically a couple of NA trips. Something like 150 k miles for Asia, 3 times 95 k to Europe, and 100k NA. Adds up to 535 k miles/year. I never accumulate much more than 400k so typically one overseas trip will need to be revenue.

But anyway, even if occasionally booking two one way, I have never used anywhere near 10 IKKs per year.
Easy to use up 10 IKK'S fast when you also have 3 kids who like to travel
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Easy to use up 10 IKK'S fast when you also have 3 kids who like to travel
Not sure I agree. First, if you book all three together, it's only one IKK.

But also, except if you do tons of flying, you probably won't accumulate so many miles that you will run out of IKKs.

And if you get tons of miles from credit cards or other non-flying stuff, the IKK restriction is precisely designed to target you. And I would argue, understandably.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:47 pm

Not sure I agree. First, if you book all three together, it's only one IKK.

But also, except if you do tons of flying, you probably won't accumulate so many miles that you will run out of IKKs.

And if you get tons of miles from credit cards or other non-flying stuff, the IKK restriction is precisely designed to target you. And I would argue, understandably.
Guess it depends on the ages of the kids - they don't fly together.

Not sure how flying more generates more IKKs - aren't we limited to 10 IKK/ year unless I'm missing some change.

40-50% credit card - 50-60% flying and SE bonuses totalling 450K per year, so usually sufficient for miles as needed but will likely run out while limited to 10 IKK per year.

When using IKK for short haul, flights OW, it also uses us the available slots fairly quickly

Our usage obviously varies...
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite
Seems to me the numbers don't add up? Only been flying for one month, spouse accompanying, two trips per month should mean only two IKKs should have been used?

Further, if you spouse flies 12 times/year on Aeroplan miles, either you accumulate lots of miles, or her flights take relatively few miles? The former case might make sense admittedly.

I do more or less the same, but I never accumulate enough miles to cover all of my wife's trips. She typically flies three to four times a year overseas, in front, either Aeroplan or when I run out of miles, revenue, upgraded or paid P/Z. Plus typically a couple of NA trips. Something like 150 k miles for Asia, 3 times 95 k to Europe, and 100k NA. Adds up to 535 k miles/year. I never accumulate much more than 400k so typically one overseas trip will need to be revenue.

But anyway, even if occasionally booking two one way, I have never used anywhere near 10 IKKs per year.
I used one IKK to go from YYZ to New York, and two for my spouse for return trip yyz-las and one for her to go from China back to YYZ. If I go Canada to US a dozen times a year, and 5 times tpac, and want her to join for a number of those, I now find the IKK's are insufficient...and feel my SE is priviledges are as good as IKK lasts.... I have large credit card spend to rack up more points....which now are of much less value if I can't use them freely with IKK.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
lol
How many do you want then?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
The question really is whether or not you will be SE100K in 2017. Will you? After how you feel you've been treated, will you continue to show the loyalty required?
Short answer: No, not likely to stick with loyalty program for 2017.

I posted my frustration because I didn't realize how much I actually relied on IKK... now having to think about IKK in addition to 50k metal req and aqd... this is how AC seeks to improve the quality of my 'experience'?

Now I am leaning 70/30 in favor of bolting and just paying best fare on Air China, Sichuan or China Eastern to get over the pacific in business. And cheaper AA or Delta to do US-Canada...

For all the griping I used to have about hardware/service differences, after doing just 6 years, I'm sure like many other long-haul fliers who run their own businesses... there is really nothing to look forward to when flying AC business...it's so very generic. The newer hardware over tpac looks aesthetically nicer, but I can't stand my legs being boxed under the flatscreen. All taken together, for my purposes (not for others on this board), the value proposition is not there, and the catalyst is now this IKK limit that I don't deem fair for being part of this whole aeroplan/ac bandwagon, especially if AC wants 50k on their metal....
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
lol
Back to the old way...don't make me even think about them...
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor
Back to the old way...don't make me even think about them...
Back in the old way
E35K lived like kings.... and then revenue management wiped them out.
Those who lived are able to tell the tale of the glory days of being a Star G

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Mar 18, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
Back in the old way
E35K lived like kings.... and then revenue management wiped them out.
Those who lived are able to tell the tale of the glory days of being a Star G
Revenue Management just decides the prices, not loyalty... AKA the "R Gods"
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Last November...

Me: YYZ-ROC
Me+friend: ROC-YYZ
Friend: YYZ-ROC

I could have done that with 2 instead of 3, but there are significant benefits to having everyone on one PNR for IRROPS on Beechcraft.

So 30k miles, 3 IKK.

If you scrape by at 100k AQM, you earn 200k miles.

No one here is complaining that while they used to do YYZ-SYD-YYZ in J for two people monthly are now only able to do it 10 times per year.

The issue is when your travel patterns require lots of one-way bookings.

I actually had to book something like YYZ-YYT, YYT-YOW, YOW-YYZ as separate bookings once, whereas YYZ-YYT-YOW-YYZ was valid as a multi-city. I spent 37.5k miles and 3 IKKs instead of 25k and 1. For the same flights.

I agree.

lol
Limit it by number of miles allowed for IKK bookings. 500,000 or something. Family of 4 YYZ-SYD in J? You're done.

One person YYZ-ROC? I've literally been on that flight as the only person in the cabin. It cost them almost nothing to fly me. Why does my 7500 miles on a cheap flight count the same as your 500k miles four four people on a round-trip on the most lucrative flight AC has?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by pitz
I was just wondering, is it possible for someone to earn status twice with 2 different Aeroplan memberships? I mean, if you make SE100k in the first, say, 6 months of a year, would it not make sense to work on a second SE100k membership and essentially double your IKK?

Anyone ever worked out the numbers to determine whether it was better to do that, instead of taking threshold bonuses and gifts?
That is against the AP T&C - https://www3.aeroplan.com/terms_and_conditions.do

21. Except as otherwise authorized by Aeroplan, a member must enroll individually, only once, using his/her full legal name. Membership is solely for the benefit of the individual, therefore it will be maintained in the name of an individual.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Last November...

Me: YYZ-ROC
Me+friend: ROC-YYZ
Friend: YYZ-ROC

I could have done that with 2 instead of 3, but there are significant benefits to having everyone on one PNR for IRROPS on Beechcraft.

So 30k miles, 3 IKK.

If you scrape by at 100k AQM, you earn 200k miles.

No one here is complaining that while they used to do YYZ-SYD-YYZ in J for two people monthly are now only able to do it 10 times per year.

The issue is when your travel patterns require lots of one-way bookings.

I actually had to book something like YYZ-YYT, YYT-YOW, YOW-YYZ as separate bookings once, whereas YYZ-YYT-YOW-YYZ was valid as a multi-city. I spent 37.5k miles and 3 IKKs instead of 25k and 1. For the same flights.

I agree.

Limit it by number of miles allowed for IKK bookings. 500,000 or something. Family of 4 YYZ-SYD in J? You're done.

One person YYZ-ROC? I've literally been on that flight as the only person in the cabin. It cost them almost nothing to fly me. Why does my 7500 miles on a cheap flight count the same as your 500k miles four four people on a round-trip on the most lucrative flight AC has?
500k miles on an expensive route like YYZ LGA or YYZ SFO LAX? You think that's better than a hard 10 limit? Maybe for you, but that's probably because the limit targeted folks like you.

Sure the system sucks, but I'd be more in favour of increasing it to 15, or having threshold options grant more slots.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor
I used one IKK to go from YYZ to New York, and two for my spouse for return trip yyz-las and one for her to go from China back to YYZ. If I go Canada to US a dozen times a year, and 5 times tpac, and want her to join for a number of those, I now find the IKK's are insufficient...and feel my SE is priviledges are as good as IKK lasts.... I have large credit card spend to rack up more points....which now are of much less value if I can't use them freely with IKK.
I think you make my point, really:

1. It's not really worth using IKK on a large number of relatively short haul itineraries.

2. The limitation is precisely designed for people who rack up tons of miles not on flying but on things like credit cards. Which have nothing to do with frequent flying.

I accumulate around 400k miles/year. My wife travels with me typically on 3 to 4 long haul trips, plus she flies about twice a year in North America. Normally in J. That's at most six rewards. I normally don't have enough miles for all of this being rewards.

SE privileges are really not meant to favor using tons of miles from sources other than flying. Which I find quite understandable.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
500k miles on an expensive route like YYZ LGA or YYZ SFO LAX? You think that's better than a hard 10 limit? Maybe for you, but that's probably because the limit targeted folks like you.

Sure the system sucks, but I'd be more in favour of increasing it to 15, or having threshold options grant more slots.
As opposed to the current situation where someone with a lot of credit card miles can reasonably book YYZ-LHR-YYZ for four people 10 times a year?

YYZ-SFO-YYZ 10 times is 500k miles.

YYZ-ROC as 10 one-ways is 75k.

Yes, the current system doesn't work well for me, but the flights I use it on are typically not "expensive", or at least, there is R space less than two weeks out, so I'm not taking up space they're going to sell. So I'd argue it's not good for AC either.

Heck, even if it were "tickets" instead of PNRs, and the limit were 20 instead of 10, that would work. It means the family of four can only do five trips, but I can do ten.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
As opposed to the current situation where someone with a lot of credit card miles can reasonably book YYZ-LHR-YYZ for four people 10 times a year?

YYZ-SFO-YYZ 10 times is 500k miles.

YYZ-ROC as 10 one-ways is 75k.

Yes, the current system doesn't work well for me, but the flights I use it on are typically not "expensive", or at least, there is R space less than two weeks out, so I'm not taking up space they're going to sell. So I'd argue it's not good for AC either.

Heck, even if it were "tickets" instead of PNRs, and the limit were 20 instead of 10, that would work. It means the family of four can only do five trips, but I can do ten.
Pretty tough to do 4J on one flight even for YYZ LHR if you're a pleb AFAIK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.