Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards limit to ten reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Rewards limit to ten reservations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I think they should just make IKK cumulative, so if I only need 5 one year and 15 the year after I can do it . Plus it's a great way to reward those people who stay SE year over year.

I could just see the milage runs now....... I've got 24 unused IKK's and I don't want to lose them, someone help me find 8,000AQM flight before the end of the year.
That doesn't help the people who frequently book short-haul economy.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That doesn't help the people who frequently book short-haul economy.
You're right, but it's better than what we have now
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
You're right, but it's better than what we have now
I'd still take 20 one-ways over 10 PNRs.

Or 20 "tickets" (i.e. people) over 10 PNRs.

In my case, you could replace "20" with "11" and I'd still prefer it, but I can see why others would not
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So far this year I havent IKK'd a single flight. The limit is working! (I loved last minute redemptions for 7500 miles).
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
If their goal was to go to 0, I don't think they would have bothered with this implementation.
That wasn't really the question though. The question is, how would that affect people? Is it just a question of where the threshold is set, or perhaps that IKK doesn't have much value in general?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mendy7511
Actually, I spoke to a SE recently who told me that he would have coworkers transfer their credit card points to his Aeroplan account and then redeem J tickets for them.
His whole office was using his benefit!
It's odd; I never think about credit card points as being transferable. It finally sinks in why AC would limit IKK as a result.

Not sure why redeeming J is the same as IKK though; also, J IKK is limited to immediate family or SE+party afaik?

Why not just say priority rewards (a benefit afforded by AC, not Aeroplan) is only available if SE is on itinerary, or "immediate family members" just like J IKK already is.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by montrealer
Or perhaps I still have mental scars from the coworker who tried to persuade me and other SEs in my office to "sell" him points tickets to take his GF to Hong Kong "in style", then to sell him upgrade certificates (when they were still paper) to take another girlfriend somewhere, and felt we were all "wimps" for not wanting to violate Aeroplan rules. I raised quite a bit of a stink when he was travelling with me once and called the Concierge pretending he was me to get "us" some special favours, and behaved abusively when she refused. (He was not an SE, and the concierge knew me personally so let me know). He was surprised that I would consider this an ethics issue, but before it got resolved he was discovered to be cheating on his expense claims and fired.
Wow? Remind me not to work where you work.

It is an ethics issue. Actually, from AC's perspective criminal fraud (code), from your perspective possibly a tort of deceit, slander (pushing it), or something of that nature.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:51 am

If I could have unlimited where I am the sole traveller, and 4 or 5 otherwise, I'd be happy.

I'm the SE. I'm earning the points. I'm using the points, for myself.

Why is Joe selling points on eBay to other people causing me issues?
+1
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Not sure why redeeming J is the same as IKK though; also, J IKK is limited to immediate family or SE+party afaik?
Thought the limit was only for International, so domestic is a free for all?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by monkai
I believe the limit is for any IKK "booking", up to 9 tickets multicity per booking, or as little as YTZ-YUL per booking.

NM: paying attention now... limit as in the 10 limit; wrt to who you can book for, non-Domestic is limited to immediate family members, NOT including your parents.

Last edited by DrunkCargo; Apr 28, 2016 at 1:41 pm
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
That wasn't really the question though. The question is, how would that affect people? Is it just a question of where the threshold is set, or perhaps that IKK doesn't have much value in general?
It would make SE much less valuable.

I personally get about $500 of value out of each IKK redemption now.

When it was unlimited, the average value was lower, because I'd use 7500 miles and IKK to avoid paying $300 for a flight.

Originally Posted by monkai
Correct. That's my other issue with the limit. YYZ-ROC counts the same as YYZ-SYD.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by catgirl
So what happens if you book a priority reward and then have to cancel it? Am I safe in assuming that it won't count towards my 10 per benefit year total? Ben, could you clarify?
He already clarified it. That won't count towards the limit.

I'm more interested in the "Aeroplan...is considering removing this altogether".

IKK is a benefit provided by AC, so it's up to them, not Aeroplan.
Has anyone tested this in practice? Knowing AC's IT capabilities, I suspect it's likely that the priority reward won't automatically be "refunded" (not sure what term is more appropriate) to one's limit of 10 when it's cancelled.

Similar question with regards to changes to priority rewards that also require priority reward space, does AE note that it was already priority or do they try to charge you a second time for it?

I ask because I had booked a ZRH-YYZ-YYC itinerary that I'd now like to change to ZRH-FRA-YYC. Original booking was IKK, new booking would also require IKK, and I want to make sure I don't waste a precious IKK on this if it hasn't been implemented properly.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Has anyone tested this in practice? Knowing AC's IT capabilities, I suspect it's likely that the priority reward won't automatically be "refunded" (not sure what term is more appropriate) to one's limit of 10 when it's cancelled.
I had to call in to have my limit adjusted from 4 to 5 when I cancelled one.

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Similar question with regards to changes to priority rewards that also require priority reward space, does AE note that it was already priority or do they try to charge you a second time for it?

I ask because I had booked a ZRH-YYZ-YYC itinerary that I'd now like to change to ZRH-FRA-YYC. Original booking was IKK, new booking would also require IKK, and I want to make sure I don't waste a precious IKK on this if it hasn't been implemented properly.
You should be fine.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I can only do 2 per year... 10? simply unsustainable...
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Shanqx
I can only do 2 per year... 10? simply unsustainable...
I'm pretty sure I've used at least two for other people so far this year.

You must not fly much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.