Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Yes, but AC doesn't tell you in advance what type of service is offered. They only show an *

....along with the other points I made in my earlier posts
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I'm not sure I completely agree.

I don't know how much of a discount AC gets, but both Taittinger and Piper Heidsick cost roughly the save as Drappier (maybe 10% more depending on POS), and I certainly prefer the former.
^
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Yes, but AC doesn't tell you in advance what type of service is offered. They only show an *

... and main courses for dinner on the SYD flight are certainly not international standard. More like NA J. I think some else mentioned this. Not plated onboard, small portion. Actually, pathetic. No bread plate. Roll is just left on tray. In thinking about it, reminiscent of an ACr flight but with linen on the tray and that Drapier on offer.

But, they serve the omelette before landing Just like NA J tray but a little embellished. They also don’t take breakfast orders in advance like on the Europe flights.

Last edited by Bartolo; Oct 24, 2017 at 12:06 am Reason: fix quote
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by 24left

Originally Posted by Bartolo
... and main courses for dinner on the SYD flight are not international standard. More like NA J. I think some else mentioned this. Not plated onboard, small portion. Actually, pathetic.

But, they serve the omelette before landing Just like NA J tray but a little embellished. They also don’t take breakfast orders in advance like on the Europe flights.
Some background info here. After extensive surveys, audits and type-trials, extra-late departures have transitioned to an Express Late Supper based on Customer feedback. Particularly on YVR-SYD, a late midnight departure, the overwhelming preference was for a quick all-inclusive dinner and sleep. Pre-change, it was not uncommon on late departures to have in excess of 50% + waste, nor did it make sense to be offering the full meal deal until 0200 as Customers were nodding off.

Breakfast orders are not generally taken for the second meal service on ULH flights, as again, Customers are in sleep mode, however FF Status is observed when offering the entrees.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 23, 2017 at 10:42 am Reason: fix quotes
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Some background info here. After extensive surveys, audits and type-trials, extra-late departures have transitioned to an Express Late Supper based on Customer feedback. Particularly on YVR-SYD, a late midnight departure, the overwhelming preference was for a quick all-inclusive dinner and sleep. Pre-change, it was not uncommon on late departures to have in excess of 50% + waste, nor did it make sense to be offering the full meal deal until 0200 as Customers were nodding off.
As usual, thanks for chiming in!^

Would you be able to comment on:

1) whether the "express supper service" is the same on late TATL departures and the YVR-SYD/BNE flight? (i.e. salad + choice of the usual four int'l J main courses + fruit/cheese)

2) whether the meal can be enjoyed at a later point during the flight per the usual "Flexible meal" option?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
As usual, thanks for chiming in!^

1) whether the "express supper service" is the same on late TATL departures and the YVR-SYD/BNE flight? (i.e. salad + choice of the usual four int'l J main courses + fruit/cheese)

2) whether the meal can be enjoyed at a later point during the flight per the usual "Flexible meal" option?
As always, you're welcome

1) I can't say with certainty as we (YYZ) don't operate OZ routes, but guessing that the concept is the same with 4 choices/cheese + dessert/fruit/coffee-tea & liqueur trolley.

2) Yes, however while I've had a few requests on 090 (GRU) 876 (FRA) and 056 (DXB), I have yet to have a Customer rise and exercise the option. Most opt for mid-flight snacks or wait for breakfast, and absolutely any fresh components from the first meal service (salad, cheese, dessert) are readily available. Many of my colleagues working the J-Galley will actually remove a percentage of non-required dinner casseroles in the event that somebody should rise and want an entree.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
As always, you're welcome

1) I can't say with certainty as we (YYZ) don't operate OZ routes, but guessing that the concept is the same with 4 choices/cheese + dessert/fruit/coffee-tea & liqueur trolley.

2) Yes, however while I've had a few requests on 090 (GRU) 876 (FRA) and 056 (DXB), I have yet to have a Customer rise and exercise the option. Most opt for mid-flight snacks or wait for breakfast, and absolutely any fresh components from the first meal service (salad, cheese, dessert) are readily available. Many of my colleagues working the J-Galley will actually remove a percentage of non-required dinner casseroles in the event that somebody should rise and want an entree.
Thanks for the detailed responses.

For 2), do you explicitly advise pax that they actually have the option? I often notice that pax have no clue until being advised that there is an option of any kind even though its clearly printed on the menu. This even goes for the transcon redeyes where only the omelette is served for example - the menu clearly states that the pax has an option of having breakfast at anytime throughout the flight, but the crew rarely state this and pax tend to exercise that option when verbally advised of it.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Thanks for the detailed responses.

For 2), do you explicitly advise pax that they actually have the option? I often notice that pax have no clue until being advised that there is an option of any kind even though its clearly printed on the menu. This even goes for the transcon redeyes where only the omelette is served for example - the menu clearly states that the pax has an option of having breakfast at anytime throughout the flight, but the crew rarely state this and pax tend to exercise that option when verbally advised of it.
The options are indeed printed on the menu, and I'll give you an honest response.
Time permitting, I try to extend and explain the options. The service standard is to take meal orders on the ground, and with up to 40 Customers in J/C, it's not always possible to give a detailed explanation to all, given time constraints. If a Customer appears unsure, I take that as a cue to elaborate.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM

1) Yes. On AC876 (YYZ-FRA 21:40 departure) last Tuesday the express supper service was the only dinner option.

2) Yes. On that flight I requested to have my supper served as my breakfast the next morning just prior to landing instead of the regular breakfast. Request was honoured and got the salad, nicely cooked sablefish and cheese course with a glass of the very decent Tawse Chardonnay.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So 872 is the standard 4-entree selection menu? What's the cutoff time again for international departures where it becomes the pared down version?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
So 872 is the standard 4-entree selection menu? What's the cutoff time again for international departures where it becomes the pared down version?
AC872 definitely has the regular/full meal service (served course by course), as do the vast majority of flights.

I'm actually not sure there's a "hard" cut-off time, but IME the "express supper service" is offered on flights departing after ~9.30p.m.

IIRC the list of flights was at some point listed on the AC website and it included 3-5 flights at the time.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:36 pm

Express Supper Service applies to departures 2130 and beyond. The initial type-trial included only 876 (FRA) and 858 (LHR) and given it's positive response, has since been added to: 042 (DEL), 090 (GRU), 092 (SCL/EZE), 056 (DXB). 046 (BOM) will revert to full meal offering on November 1st as it transitions to an earlier departure.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Express Supper Service applies to departures 2130 and beyond. The initial type-trial included only 876 (FRA) and 858 (LHR) and given it's positive response, has since been added to: 042 (DEL), 090 (GRU), 092 (SCL/EZE), 056 (DXB). 046 (BOM) will revert to full meal offering on November 1st as it transitions to an earlier departure.
Thanks for the overview!

Per the above discussion, I assume 033 (YVR-SYD) and 035 (BNE) also get the express supper service?

Do 888 (YOW-LHR) and 860 (YHZ-LHR) get the full service depsite the >10p.m. departure time?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:55 pm

Thanks for the overview!

Per the above discussion, I assume 033 (YVR-SYD) and 035 (BNE) also get the express supper service?

Do 888 (YOW-LHR) and 860 (YHZ-LHR) get the full service depsite the >10p.m. departure time?
888 - Express Supper/Breakfast a la Carte
860 - Cheese-Crudite Plate/Hot Breakfast

033/035 - Express Supper/Mid-Flight Snacks/Hot Breakfast
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:13 am

I seem to recall the YVR-SYD flight had several breakfast choices. The omelette, pancakes, a fruit plate, and possibly something else. Best is the Iogo but no choice of flavour. Just one on board. Breakfast not plated on board either. However served more than 90 min in advance of landing. That makes a huge difference to the service (for the good) and I expect is much easier for the crew.

Flexible meal option is offered.

There was also a snack menu with four choices. The aforementioned yogurt, hummus with veggies, a panini kind of thing and cornflakes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.