Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2014, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
cdncow, even though your BP didn't have pre-check on it, did you not get 3 beeps when TSA scanned it? That's happened to me quite a few times (with UA BPs) and I've been allowed to move over to pre-check lane.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rehoult
Was it at least a good game? CAH perhaps?
No, not CAH.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...istance-avalon

Originally Posted by margarita girl
cdncow, even though your BP didn't have pre-check on it, did you not get 3 beeps when TSA scanned it? That's happened to me quite a few times (with UA BPs) and I've been allowed to move over to pre-check lane.
Honestly, I wasn't even paying attention. I was cutting it really close, and was more focused on how to optimize my time from the TSA agent to the xray
Old May 9, 2014, 11:55 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tireman77
Never once. AP number, Nexus Pass ID 0/12. Still don't get it.
Hmm.. my own experience was hit and miss up until November '13, but after that I've been 100% on UA, with AP number and Nexus Pass ID. I used to wonder if it was because I checked in my with passport in the past.

Mind you, if it was a UA flight but booked through AC, that never received PreCheck since my booking carrier was different.
Old May 9, 2014, 12:02 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Absolute
Hmm.. my own experience was hit and miss up until November '13, but after that I've been 100% on UA, with AP number and Nexus Pass ID. I used to wonder if it was because I checked in my with passport in the past.

Mind you, if it was a UA flight but booked through AC, that never received PreCheck since my booking carrier was different.
The cherry on the sundae: Last flight, was travelling with my Dad. Booked on UA.com, No Nexus/Goes, No status, Canadian citizen, Canadian resident He got TSA Pre, and I was stuck in the third world.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I just experienced the bliss that was Pre✓. It was so civilized!! It would literally have been a walk-through except I had caught up to the Kettle family in front of me who somehow also had been directed to Pre✓. Ma and Grandma went to another lane, while Pa Kettle preceded me, futzing around, emptying his pockets into the basket - like a thick wad of paper money, passport, boarding pass - while leaving his belt on, which alarmed the WTMD, so he had to go back and take the belt off. While he was doing his striptease, the agent beckoned me through so I shoved my purse and tote through the tunnel and walked through (savouring my shoes). Reaching over his basket of cash, I grabbed my stuff to go, and over my shoulder I could see him yet again setting off the WTMD - maybe keys in his jacket or something. Clown.
It was well staffed, smoothly operated, but still vulnerable to people that should be in the "infrequent traveller" lane.
I did not try to use the Pre✓ to visit the UC past the other security this time. Decided to just have my adult beverages on board. One win at a time.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Flying today YYZ to USA on AC and then a US domestic connection on UA.

My BP for YYZ to USA has TSA PRECHK on it (which is pointless), however my boarding pass for the UA flight does not. Makes no sense.

Also, I don't see why AC has to replace your name on the right side of the BP with TSA PRECHK as they also print it in the airline use section next to the barcode.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by D582
Flying today YYZ to USA on AC and then a US domestic connection on UA.

My BP for YYZ to USA has TSA PRECHK on it (which is pointless), however my boarding pass for the UA flight does not. Makes no sense.

Also, I don't see why AC has to replace your name on the right side of the BP with TSA PRECHK as they also print it in the airline use section next to the barcode.
AC will not print Pre✓ for other carriers. Not that it matters for ths trip, but I suggest getting the UA boarding pass from UA to see if you qualify for Pre✓
Old May 12, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Do you even need the Pre✓ on the connection BP? Maybe save the effort until you know that you are not connecting airside.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Do you even need the Pre✓ on the connection BP? Maybe save the effort until you know that you are not connecting airside.
Yeah, that's pretty typical if you're preclearing in Canada.

I remember having a tight connection from a business trip to a mileage run in SFO, and being able to go from G to 3 airside was really nice

Pre✓ wouldn't have been horrible, but if there's one thing better than Pre✓, it's no Pre✓
Old May 12, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
One small novice thing I figured out - on the back of my Nexus card, there are 2 numbers - a 9-digit number that starts with a 9 AND a 9-digit number that starts with a 1.

The 9xxxxxxxx is correctly the PassID (small print above it) so it works for Pre with AC (3/3) - the other number will not work (0/1) until I noticed the smaller number was the PassID as I was standing with the regular folks fuming as to why my Pre didn't work
Old May 12, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by YEG USER
There are likely several factors at play here.

Some stations such as PDX, MCI, etc. are handled by UA. That is the reason you cannot OLCI for these airports. When I've flown from these airports I've received UA boarding passes (although that might not be common). There have been other situations where people checking in at these stations have had certain disadvantages (i.e. unable to add themselves to upgrade waitlists, etc. at the airport, etc.). I suspect that whatever system issue exists by UA handling these stations also impacts the pre-check data.

Terminal layout can also come into play. I recently flew through MCI, and found the layout to be quite intersting. On the concourse I was departing from, there were separate secure areas and screening lines for different groupings of 2-4 gates. At the screening area I went into for the AC flight there was 1 checkpoint, and that checkpoint had a single metal detector, x-ray scanner, etc. IIRC there were 3 gates in this departure area. I suspect that they would not add TSA lines for many of these smaller gate groupings, although could possibly have pre-check for some of the areas with a larger number of gates.

I was affected by this today. Booked on AC PDX-YYC - no OLCI, no PreCheck. I asked about it at the check-in desk - apparently, it's because UA "downgraded" the equipment at PDX to the old CO system and cobbled together something (his words) to allow them to print AC boarding passes.

He did say though, that if you book UA codeshare for AC flights out of PDX, then PreCheck eligible people do get PreCheck.

So I'll be doing that in future. The UA codeshare is usually cheaper for the exact same flight anyway.
Old May 12, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I did a reprint with UA, no Pre this time. It was a landside connection (SFO A to SFO 3), but there were only a couple of people in the regular Premier security queue so didn't really need it anyway. I did check with UA and they did see my PASSID on the reservation, so at least it makes it to their system.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by YZF_Flyer
I asked the agent at the LGA check-in desk to reprint my boarding pass and lo and behold TSA PRECHK appears on the top-right corner. The checkpoint had new Pre✓ signage. No dedicated lane but after hearing the three beeps the travel document checker gave me a tattered photocopy entitling me to "expedited screening". Jacket and shoes on, WTMD instead of body scan: my best security experience at LGA since the renovation that introduced the body scanners and massively reduced efficiency.
I didn't find standing in the same line but this time armed with a crumpled Precheck letter a much better experience at LGA with the possible exception of getting to keep shoes on. So lame.
Old May 13, 2014, 4:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2228 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

In PHL, didn't get Pre. Didn't feel like asking the agent to put in my KTN after we commiserated about SHARES and AC's system (I'd already confirmed with @AC it was there) so I just used the regular one.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Going PHX - SFO - SEA - YVR today United (code share AC metal on the SEA - YVR).

Pre check showed up on the PHX - SFO and SFO - SEA boarding passes with united, no pre Check on the SEA - YVR leg. In SEA went to AC counter and had them print me a boarding pass for the last leg - then it actually had the Pre Check on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.