Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:07 am
No longer with Air Canada
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

We know you’ve been waiting for it – and now, it’s finally here.

Beginning today, Air Canada will participate in TSA Pre✓™ , a U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) initiative which allows pre-screened trusted travellers to enjoy expedited security screening benefits, including dedicated TSA Pre✓ lanes at certain airports when travelling on eligible itineraries.

We’re particularly excited to launch this service as Air Canada is the first international airline to participate in TSA Pre✓.

Eligiblity for TSA Pre✓

For departures from applicable airports in the United States, you may be eligible for TSA Pre✓ if you:
  • Are a Canadian citizen who is a member of NEXUS
  • Are a TSA Pre✓ application program member
  • Are a U.S. citizen enrolled in Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI
  • Have a Known Traveller Number from another source
  • Are selected based on criteria used by the TSA
Customers who are deemed eligible may be referred to a dedicated screening lane and can take advantage of benefits that include not removing your shoes, belt or light outerwear, and leaving your laptop and TSA/CATSA compliant liquids bag in your carry-on baggage.

Participation in TSA Pre✓

To participate in TSA Pre✓, please enter your PASS ID number in the Known Traveller Number field when booking your flight at aircanada.com, when you enter your APIS information, or when you check in for your flight.

If you have been cleared for TSA Pre✓, you will see the ‘TSA PRECHK’ indicator on your printed Air Canada boarding pass. Your boarding pass will be scanned at the checkpoint, and you may be referred to a TSA Pre✓ lane.

For launch, this indicator will only be available on boarding passes printed by an Air Canada agent, or at an Air Canada kiosk. If you use web check-in and are cleared for TSA Pre✓, you will be reminded to reprint your boarding pass at the airport. We’ll keep you posted as to when this indicator will also automatically appear on web check-in boarding passes, as well.

Bear in mind that because the TSA determines a passenger's eligibility for TSA Pre✓ on a flight by flight basis, there is no guarantee that you will benefit from expedited screening, even if:
  • you have a Known Traveller Number and
  • you are leaving from an airport which offers TSA Pre✓
You can learn more about Pre✓ on Air Canada flights, as well as how the TSA manages the TSA Pre✓ pre-screening initiative.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Excellent news! Thanks for the update. I have a number of flights originating out of ORD, LAX, and PHL later this summer.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Great News!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Super News! Well Done AC
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Two days too late for me...
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: AE 75K, Bonvoy Gold, BW Plat, AX AE Reserve, NEXUS, AX Business Plat
Fantastic News!!!!!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: Free Agent
Nice!
would love to see something similar for the Nexus lines in Canadian airports... any indications of that anytime in the near future?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Great news! Thanks for sharing ^

And thanks for sharing this tip, too. I'm sure you just saved a bunch of flyers a lot of frustration

Originally Posted by Air Canada Altitude
For launch, this indicator will only be available on boarding passes printed by an Air Canada agent, or at an Air Canada kiosk. If you use web check-in and are cleared for TSA Pre✓, you will be reminded to reprint your boarding pass at the airport. We’ll keep you posted as to when this indicator will also automatically appear on web check-in boarding passes, as well.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I know that there was a "Nexus-lite" type of thing at YYZ in the transborder security area. Laptops stayed in bag, belts/shoes on, that type of thing. I haven't made any TB crossings recently, so hopefully someone can confirm if it's still running.

Domestically, Nexus holders can access a "quicker" line, but I believe standard procedures (laptop out, shoes/belt off) still exist.

Originally Posted by canolakid
Nice!
would love to see something similar for the Nexus lines in Canadian airports... any indications of that anytime in the near future?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: AE 75K, Bonvoy Gold, BW Plat, AX AE Reserve, NEXUS, AX Business Plat
Yes- the Nexus line at YYZ TB is still running, and it is a godsend! Walk right through, leaving almost everything on and in!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:32 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
AC.com has a longer list of eligible passengers:

Which is good news for me as a UK citizen with Global Entry - and, indeed, I have an e-mail from the Global Entry scheme stating I'm eligible for TSA Pre.

However, my next trip on AC will leave the US from SFO, where participation is on a 'select time basis' only. Air Canada Altitude, are you able to clarify when you expect this to operate?
              Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
              Great news!

TSA Pre has been super useful when flying UA. Looking forward to this for AC flights.
              Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:12 am
              FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
              Excellent news! Glad to hear this is no longer restricted to yyzprincess.
              Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
              I've had Pre check not granted b/c of the PAX name I entered. Have people had similar experience? My NEXUS has my middle name and when I entered them as initials Precheck doesn't recognize it. I looked back at my pre check approval on my BP and that was when only my first and last name was included.

Thoughts?
              Gilbert
              Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:16 am
              ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
              Originally Posted by yqtyyz
              Domestically, Nexus holders can access a "quicker" line, but I believe standard procedures (laptop out, shoes/belt off) still exist.
              AFAIK there is no requirement to remove shoes for a Canadian domestic flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.