Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 9:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
The exact text you'll see is:

"You've been cleared for TSA Pre✓™. To use this service at a participating airport you must reprint your boarding pass at a self service kiosk (where available) or see an agent."

If you don't see this text, reprinting at the airport will not get you Pre✓.
This highly suggest that AC is still working on mobile barcode signature verification required to implement Pre✓.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Is there any charge for using this system?
Old May 2, 2014, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
AC doesn't determine if you're eligible or not (we have no control who gets it or not); TSA determines your eligibility on a flight by flight basis and no one is guaranteed to get it every time just because you have a known traveler number. We simply take the response from TSA and translate it into an appropriate indicator on the boarding pass.
While I know that is technically true, I have been denied Pre✓ on exactly one flight where the airline and airport were eligible, since I got NEXUS. This was when US rebooked me on AA, flying out of SFO. My US BP had the Pre✓ mark, but the new AA one didn't. Every UA flight I've taken (and I've taken quite a few) have given me Pre✓.

My experience is that when you have a KTN, if you don't get Pre✓, it's because of a name mismatch, a super last minute booking (likely my case above), or the airline screwed something up on the ticket (also a possibility, since my name "changed" to include my middle name when they rebooked me).

Or in other words, if my next flight on AC (May 8) doesn't give me Pre✓, you're going to have a really tough time convincing me that the problem is with TSA. If they say I'm not eligible, it's because they were provided the wrong information.

Originally Posted by Cana2013
Well, you need a KTN, which costs somewhere between $50-$100 for 5 years, depending on how you get it. But I got NEXUS for border crossing reasons. Pre✓ was just an awesome side-perk.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: AC*SE 2MM; Marriott-Plat Prem; SPG-Gold; Amex Centurion
BRAVO...now fix the boarding process - I hate the scrum!
Old May 2, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Cana2013
You need a Known Traveller Number -- do you have GE or NEXUS? There is a fee for those, but once you have it, there is no additional cost. (Or, if there is, it will be news to me.)
Old May 2, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
If I'm entering my Nexus details under Advanced Passenger Information to qualify for PreCheck, can I still use my passport in the GE machines to get through pre-clearance?
Old May 2, 2014, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
If I'm entering my Nexus details under Advanced Passenger Information to qualify for PreCheck, can I still use my passport in the GE machines to get through pre-clearance?
Yes. Or you might even be able to use your NEXUS card on the glass where the passport goes. That's what I do. Your NEXUS is linked to your passport.
Old May 2, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Two days ago I was buying a reward ticket for three of us and when I was entering our data the system did not recognize our Nexus number? Used both the passcode and the nexus number and nope! I completed the reward ticket and called AP where they entered the data and it took. I guess I will find out if this works in two weeks.

SEA-YVR - AC counter with UA agents
Old May 2, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Yes. Or you might even be able to use your NEXUS card on the glass where the passport goes. That's what I do. Your NEXUS is linked to your passport.
Thanks for this. While I knew Nexus and passport were linked, obviously, I had no idea the passport scanner could also read the Nexus card. Brilliant.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:33 pm

Three beeps at LGA today

I asked the agent at the LGA check-in desk to reprint my boarding pass and lo and behold TSA PRECHK appears on the top-right corner. The checkpoint had new Pre✓ signage. No dedicated lane but after hearing the three beeps the travel document checker gave me a tattered photocopy entitling me to "expedited screening". Jacket and shoes on, WTMD instead of body scan: my best security experience at LGA since the renovation that introduced the body scanners and massively reduced efficiency.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Two days ago I was buying a reward ticket for three of us and when I was entering our data the system did not recognize our Nexus number? Used both the passcode and the nexus number and nope! I completed the reward ticket and called AP where they entered the data and it took. I guess I will find out if this works in two weeks.

Oh weird. Just to double check, are you entering the known traveler number on the back of the nexus card? that's the one that works on UA.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
Thanks for this. While I knew Nexus and passport were linked, obviously, I had no idea the passport scanner could also read the Nexus card. Brilliant.
(For what it's worth, I think we've been told not to do it, but it works. You have to orient the card so the >>>> symbol area is in the same place it would be if you were inserting the passport.)
Old May 2, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr

When you're booking a reward ticket via the Aeroplan website, you'll be asked for your Known Traveller (aka Nexus Pass ID) number.

I've recently made a few AP bookings for myself and family members, and that field NEVER seems to work on Aeoplan's website. I keep getting a similar error message that my Pass ID number isn't valid.

Once you're ticketed, though, you can then access your booking via the Air Canada web-site and add your KTN. Unlike Aeroplan's site, the AC site does work.

Aeroplan site won't take the number, in spite of having a field for it.
Air Canada site (advance passenger info page) works just fine.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Oh weird. Just to double check, are you entering the known traveler number on the back of the nexus card? that's the one that works on UA.

Yes I used the pass ID number same number I used when on UA and US (when they were star alliance). I had AP enter it and it worked.

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
When you're booking a reward ticket via the Aeroplan website, you'll be asked for your Known Traveller (aka Nexus Pass ID) number.

I've recently made a few AP bookings for myself and family members, and that field NEVER seems to work on Aeoplan's website. I keep getting a similar error message that my Pass ID number isn't valid.

Once you're ticketed, though, you can then access your booking via the Air Canada web-site and add your KTN. Unlike Aeroplan's site, the AC site does work.

Aeroplan site won't take the number, in spite of having a field for it.
Air Canada site (advance passenger info page) works just fine.
I feel better that I am not the only one that had issues. The AC website works as I always use my Nexus when flying into the US and not my passport info.

I am sure as time go's on, systems will improve and the AC IT Guru's will have it right. Meanwhile next weekend I will see if this works.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:30 am

My oh my, I just did pre✓ at BUF. It was great, but I was so disappointed that there was NO line for the regular people. I will DEFINITELY enjoy it if my lucky number comes up on my AC BP flying out of MCO later this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.