Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by antirealist
So what is the point of printing it on boarding passes for flights out of Canada?
But DOES it print on BPs out of Canada?

The OP says
"For departures from applicable airports in the United States, ..." and "If you have been cleared for TSA Pre✓, you will see the ‘TSA PRECHK’ indicator on your printed Air Canada boarding pass. "

Since you do not encounter TSA when pre clearing from Canada, it would not make any sense to print it, although I can imagine it printing from an IT glitch.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Yes, it does. As I mentioned above, it was printed on the BP for my US-bound flight out of YVR yesterday.

Since you do not encounter TSA when pre clearing from Canada, it would not make any sense to print it...
Quite. Hence my question.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

The OP says
"For departures from applicable airports in the United States, ..." and "If you have been cleared for TSA Pre✓, you will see the ‘TSA PRECHK’ indicator on your printed Air Canada boarding pass. "

Since you do not encounter TSA when pre clearing from Canada, it would not make any sense to print it, although I can imagine it printing from an IT glitch.
The only BP of mine that's had it printed was YYZ-SFO
Old May 16, 2014, 10:57 pm

I've only flown northbound since the AC launch so I guess the use of logic didn't work! So on to hypothesis 2 in my post, which was an IT glitch. Maybe in order to make it print out at all, it has to ALWAYS print out.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:05 pm

I've only flown northbound since the AC launch so I guess the use of logic didn't work! So on to hypothesis 2 in my post, which was an IT glitch. Maybe in order to make it print out at all, it has to ALWAYS print out.
Only on transborder segments
Old May 16, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Except that I don't have NEXUS (and in fact I don't fall into any of the eligible categories mentioned in the OP), and Andrew says above that

TSA determines your eligibility on a flight by flight basis and no one is guaranteed to get it every time just because you have a known traveler number.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by antirealist
Except that I don't have NEXUS (and in fact I don't fall into any of the eligible categories mentioned in the OP),
That just makes it funnier! Super IT glitch. Or, maybe this is another "benefit you can't use" along the lines of some Altitude benefits.
Old May 18, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Why is everything so difficult with this stupid airline?

Just OLCI'd for tomorrow's DEN-YUL flight. My BP says "You've been cleared for TRA PreCheck. To use this services at a participating airport, you must reprint your boarding pass at a self-serve kiosk (where available) or see an agent".

Seriously? How about printing "TSA PreCheck" on my OLCI BP so I don't have to stop at kiosk or see agent???? @:-)
Old May 18, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by SFO777

Just OLCI'd for tomorrow's DEN-YUL flight. My BP says "You've been cleared for TRA PreCheck. To use this services at a participating airport, you must reprint your boarding pass at a self-serve kiosk (where available) or see an agent".

Seriously? How about printing "TSA PreCheck" on my OLCI BP so I don't have to stop at kiosk or see agent???? @:-)
Oh, lucky you. You can OLCI. Here at PDX today, couldn't OLCI for tomorrow's PDX-YVR-YYC (because the UA equipment was downgraded to CO systems)

I was at the airport anyway to pick up a car - went to the UA desk (no AC agents here and self check-in kiosks don't work for AC), asked if possible to check in for tomorrow's flight. Sure - no problem - need passport for check-in. Crap - didn't have it on me. Drive back to city, get passport. Back to UA desk. Ask to check in for tomorrow's flight. "You can't do that, sir."

Long story short: agent #1 was mistaken - only day of departure checkin allowed. There was training last month that specifically disallowed this (agent #1 obviously was not present, or was asleep)

So what am I supposed to do? Receive information and cross-check it with other agents to make sure it's correct? Or just not fly AC out of an airport that is just not set up to handle it?

Yep - DL or AS for me from now on.

First experience with AC out of PDX means it will be my last. Can't OLCI, can't check in at the airport the day before (within 24h), can't use the self checkin kiosks, no TSA precheck.

UA systems don't allow agents to access the reservation. At all.

Useless. Don't fly AC out of PDX - the most basic of systems just aren't set up.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:33 pm
formerly with Air Canada

TSA has not yet approved this feature. We're told it's imminent.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:37 pm
formerly with Air Canada

When Canada introduces a new process for transborder travel that requires government approval it usual applies to the all airlines serving the market not just Canadian airlines. Not the same on the US side.
Old May 19, 2014, 7:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

To enable Pre on non-airline stock boarding pass (eg OLCI/passbook etc), the barcode needs to be "signed" to prevent tampering.

AC provides public key unique to AC to TSA and all scanners needs to be loaded with that key (to the best of knowledge, scanners are offline). Of course there would be a period of testing involved by all parties.

So instead of waiting for full implementation, AC is rolling it out in phases so that passengers can take advantage of Pre earlier.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:15 am

It was zero inconvenience to me to print BP at airport. I do my OLCI ahead of time, but I often don't have a printer there, and it's easier to get BP at a kiosk anyway. It was certainly better for me to be able to print a BP with PRECHK on it at the airport than to wait until the tamper proof barcodes can be provided to OLCI. I guess everyone's circumstance is different.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:59 am

It was zero inconvenience to me to print BP at airport. I do my OLCI ahead of time, but I often don't have a printer there, and it's easier to get BP at a kiosk anyway. It was certainly better for me to be able to print a BP with PRECHK on it at the airport than to wait until the tamper proof barcodes can be provided to OLCI. I guess everyone's circumstance is different.
SFO isn't setup well for reprinting. If you're flying out of the G gates, your "best" option is to get dropped off by the A gates, go to AC check-in, print it there, then walk across the terminal to G.

If you're taking BART, it's probably not worth the effort (walk G to A to G) if you already have priority access.

If the kiosks or check-in counter are not so inconveniently placed from the gates, then I agree, not much hassle
Old May 19, 2014, 9:13 am

That's one thing MCO does right. They have a shared multi-airline BP kiosk as you enter from the rental car return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.