Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:40 pm

You need to find UA flights.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by SilverGGA
What do you mean? I priced the flight on UA's site which will cost 80k miles + ~US$40 of taxes. I don't think there's any fuel surcharge. The flight number is still AC though, not code-shared with UA.
Thats what it costs redeeming UA miles.
If you want to redeem Aeroplan miles, the same flights will cost a lot more.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC 2MM, ALT 75 k
Originally Posted by SilverGGA have 777 been reconfigured

I flew YVR-HKG-YVR last week. Was upgraded both ways. Yes AC 007 & AC 008 have 3 class configuration.J is a complicated 6464646 layout. A & K in odd rows are troublesome as you have to step over your seat mate to go washroom when their seat is extended for sleeping. A & K in even rows are fantastic as you are offset between A & C in front of you. Centre rows are all ok.
Not as comfortable as traditional J pods. J has tv screen that is 50% bigger than in traditional POD configuration. Food is just as good or bad as you have experienced it before.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Whomever decided to put the AV/Light controls in the arm rest should be fired.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by keitherson
Has there been any service improvement or is the 77W the same old same old?
I haven't noticed any change, except the seat I was in was showing signs of wear. The armrest cover was falling off. Most recent flight was LHR-YVR a few weeks ago.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I switched also and have no regrets.

It all started when AC enhanced the Altitude programme making it completely unattractive.
Same here. Just completed a TPAC and SE Asia trip with CX J. NO MORE AC HD for me.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by SilverGGA
I am thinking of making a J class redemption for the YVR->HKG route around April time-frame. Is the current J class product the same? Or have it changed?
YVR-HKG is a B77P high density. J seat is "coffin" class not the herring bone pods.

Down grade of hard and soft products:

Instant cup noodle now served in its original disposable cup, not in a Japanese bowl any more. There is no dim sum as snack.

More traffic up and down the aisle as Y class meals are heated in J cabin.

No more pantry / snack bar. Only 2 baskets of snacks in front of row 1 middle.

J seat very narrow at the elbow area when lay falt. You are wedged between 2 arm rests.

The "coffin" box where you legs go is narrow. Hard to turn when lay flat. Uncomfortable.

Very narrow pitch. Aisle seat pax needs to get off seat to let window pax in/out. There are about 8-9" space between front of seat (arm rest?) and the seat back in front.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the info! I will see if I can summon enough miles and get the CX product instead!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Exclamation AC J Cabin on 3 Class 777-300ER

I will start with I am a big fan of AC - so here is some feedback.

Just flew AC137 YYZ-YVR Dec 10 in Seat 5D, this was my first experience in J on the newer 777-300ER 3 class config.

I am quite tall - 6'2.5" or so, and all I can say is the these new J seats are terrible. They feel very claustrophobic, and some have nicknamed them coffin seats due to the lay flat nature where they slide under the arm rest of the seat in front. I have size 12 feet and there is no way to get comfortable at all with the seat more than 20% reclined and your feet jammed into the cavity. There is no way this would be a good nights sleep in the full lay flat position, the space is shorter than the older pods. There is no way to lay on your side, the coffin area or cavity for your legs and feet is very tight.

It did look like some other seat positions had a slightly different config depending on what was infront of you (center arm rest or side arm rest) but for me I would never pay for this cabin and would avoid it at all costs. As mentioned the older XM Pod are much much better.

In addition to the seating issue the poor placement of the seat controls means you keep activating the seat motors with your elbow, finally you need to have an engineering degree to work out how to use the table, even the crew have problems with it.

Nicknamed the 'slave ship' buy the Pilot seated in my area due to the number of extra Y seats, I understand the commercial need for this config, but for me I will avoid it and hope that these seats do not appear on other aircraft.

Service was great, as was the cookie and ice cream
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:47 pm

Yup. That's why I hate it. AC needs to replace these inferior J asap
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
There is already a long thread about this topic. Here is a link. I think it's fair to say that very few flyers like the 777HD.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The studio pods are going away with the 777 refurbishment. Ben is on record saying that the config for the 5HD aircraft will be different from the rest of the 77W/77L fleet, but exact numbers are not yet known.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:38 am

AC J Cabin on 3 Class 777-300ER

I was on AC142 on 12/9/2014, successfully avoided the 777HD up until now. Wasn't impressed at all with the poor seat config in J.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Redlion
Just flew AC137 YYZ-YVR Dec 10 in Seat 5D,
You posted on Dec. 9, yet you "just flew" on Dec. 10?
Welcome to FT!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by Easytofindinaclub
I was on AC142 on 12/9/2014, successfully avoided the 777HD up until now. Wasn't impressed at all with the poor seat config in J.
Then you should never fly LH/LX or Swiss. They love this seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.