Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by newbie elite
You do know only a subset of AC777 are of the sardine can HD flavour right? And your letter will have 0, zilch, nada, niet effect because these aircraft make them piles of money (for now at least).
not only that they offer lower fares than the competition (i.e. CX on YVRHKG but I still fly them anyhow due to better service and client policy allowing it.)
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mwherman2000
2. Failing to inform Air Canada Elite customers of the inadequate seating available on these aircraft to the point of being deceptive on the Air Canada and Aeroplan web sites;

3. Failing to inform Air Canada customers in general of the inadequate seating available on these aircraft to the point of being deceptive on the Air Canada and Aeroplan web sites; and

4. Failing to inform Air Canada employees of the inadequate seating available on these aircraft – especially, the passenger agents in Vancouver.

My July 19th Air Canada flight (AC 1175, Seat 25A) was the worst flight, on the worst aircraft, in the worst seat and seat arrangement in my more than 50 years of flying on Air Canada.
A couple things,

1) this letter will have 0 effect because as proven most pax don't care about the config
2) in which way are they deceptive about the seating online? Are elites not capable of finding aircraft information out from the website themselves and need to be spoon-fed it?
3) hurry up and define inadequate seating already, effective legroom of 32" and 17" wide is below your limit? You should be booking J and PY then.
4) LOL you are complaining about it on YYZ-YVR? HAHAHAHA apparently you havent gotten the memo that the seat dimensions are identical to a westjet 737, except that the 777 has more bin space per pax, free and nice AVOD, USB and power at seats. You must not travel much if this is the worst flight you've experienced - and not even in a middle seat!

AC isn't going to take the letter seriously in part because you didn't.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
LOL.
Go back and read your prognostications of AC, their performance, their stock potential.
You're what we call an auto-fade in the equity game ...
What's the opposite of an "auto-face"? Auto-enhance?

The irony of course is that a day or two after these posts were made AC began a 2 month long slide losing a third of it's value. It's since recovered, and even picked up 4-5% in the last 6 months. But what North American airline hasn't?

Should have flagged this thread for 3 months instead of 6. That would been cruel, though.

P.S. I'm still waiting for a review of my "prognostications" - particularly with regard to "their stock potential."
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Avoiding AC to Asia this year by using NH. The 777 sardine can just turned me off. I hope they ditch that monstrosity. Granted, I am still in a sardine can on NH, but at least it is a 2-4-2 config. I get to try out their 787 as well! Pretty stoked!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Air Canada just released this picture for its new promotional campaign touting the virtues of the 777HD:
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:45 pm

I just returned from CDG to YUL on this plane and the premium economy in-flight service was absolutely top notch. Extremely polite, prompt, and attentive. It made me wish they had opinion cards we could fill out. The "best" premium economy seats depend on your height and the specifics of what you like best, but probably one of the six seats on either side would be my choice. here are a few more observations from my latest trip on this plane:

- the middle PE seats and the 13C, 13H, 14C, 14H (aisle seats) all have various types of seat mounting hardware and AV boxes protruding into the space under the seat in front; If you really want to stretch your legs fully with absolutely no hardware in your footwell, then choose: 13A, 13K, 14A, or 14K.

- I've tried both row 12 and 13 and I think I prefer the bulkhead seats; no-one reclines in front of you and if you want a footrest, then you could use your carry-on if its suitable. The footrest is OK on the aisle seats, but once the footrest is in the down position, you cannot stretch your legs under the seat, there is too much stuff in the way

- again, people who are complaining about this being the worst plane ever, probably weren't flying in PE; for such a short flight, especially the daytime westbound flight (871), it's more than adequate for such a short flight

- if AC offered PE on every long-haul flight for a reasonable price, it's a no-brainer; premium check-in, priority luggage, priority boarding, great in-flight service; good food, comfortable seat, more personal space; what's not to love?

- BTW, LMU on 871 for July 29 was offered PE - > EF for $639, which is I suppose nearly reasonable as far as LMU's go

- when I booked this in the spring, the premium was about $200 each way (YUL-> CDG) for PE; totally worth it, IMHO
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by calpaugh
I just returned from CDG to YUL on this plane and the premium economy in-flight service was absolutely top notch. Extremely polite, prompt, and attentive. It made me wish they had opinion cards we could fill out. The "best" premium economy seats depend on your height and the specifics of what you like best, but probably one of the six seats on either side would be my choice. here are a few more observations from my latest trip on this plane:

- the middle PE seats and the 13C, 13H, 14C, 14H (aisle seats) all have various types of seat mounting hardware and AV boxes protruding into the space under the seat in front; If you really want to stretch your legs fully with absolutely no hardware in your footwell, then choose: 13A, 13K, 14A, or 14K.

- I've tried both row 12 and 13 and I think I prefer the bulkhead seats; no-one reclines in front of you and if you want a footrest, then you could use your carry-on if its suitable. The footrest is OK on the aisle seats, but once the footrest is in the down position, you cannot stretch your legs under the seat, there is too much stuff in the way

- again, people who are complaining about this being the worst plane ever, probably weren't flying in PE; for such a short flight, especially the daytime westbound flight (871), it's more than adequate for such a short flight

- if AC offered PE on every long-haul flight for a reasonable price, it's a no-brainer; premium check-in, priority luggage, priority boarding, great in-flight service; good food, comfortable seat, more personal space; what's not to love?

- BTW, LMU on 871 for July 29 was offered PE - > EF for $639, which is I suppose nearly reasonable as far as LMU's go

- when I booked this in the spring, the premium was about $200 each way (YUL-> CDG) for PE; totally worth it, IMHO
Thanks for the report on the PE seats. Which do you think would be better: 14C or 12C? Is the bulkhead a hard wall and how much space do you think there is in front of row 12? One more question: Is there a fixed bulkhead behind row 14 or is it just a curtain?

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Hope a picture answers the question

Originally Posted by arf04
Thanks for the report on the PE seats. Which do you think would be better: 14C or 12C? Is the bulkhead a hard wall and how much space do you think there is in front of row 12? One more question: Is there a fixed bulkhead behind row 14 or is it just a curtain?
Here are a couple of pictures of the 77HD PE section; first one looking towards Y and the second one showing the separation between row 14PE and row 18Y.

The PE seats are numbered and as you can see there is no physical separator between PE and Y except for the centre section which has a hard bulkhead.

Unfortunately the pictures really don't convey how comfortable the 777HD PE really is!

Last edited by TemboOne; Jul 29, 2014 at 8:38 pm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Ah yes, loved 18H until someone had the nerve to sit in 18J (and overflowed into my seat)!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:03 pm

Thanks for posting those pics TemboOne. Hard to know if row 14 is better than row 12. I'm giving PE a try from LHR-YVR, so it's def a long haul. All the seats in the pics look reasonably decent in any case.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
calpaugh (or anyone else with recent experience),

Can you comment on the meal service in PE?

Did your second meal/snack also come on proper dishware, or was it the same as normal Y.

For drinks, did you get a few choices of proper wine? Or was it the plastic bottled wine from Y?

I'm just trying to reconcile the initial PE report I had seen from 2013, to the current information on AC.com, to information provided from AC F/A's.

Going from YVR-HKG, I had booked PE to be able to have some slightly better food and wine for the 13+ hour flight, than is normally offered in Y.

Thanks for the other feedback you provided in your post.

When you travel in Premium Economy on our international flights, you’ll enjoy a welcome beverage as you settle into your seat. You’ll then be offered the choice between two delicious hot meals served in a china casserole with glassware and cutlery, and accompanied by a refreshing salad, warm bread and dessert.

Breakfast offerings include: fresh coffee, juice, pastries and yoghurt.

On flights within Canada, customers travelling in Premium Economy enjoy complimentary Onboard Café service.

Wine and Beverages

Choose from a selection of red and white wines, as well as beer, soft drinks, juice, coffee and tea to accompany your meals

Last edited by doubleflier; Jul 30, 2014 at 12:04 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Air Canada just released this picture for its new promotional campaign touting the virtues of the 777HD:
Sadly that's only 8 across! Not dense enough!!!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:36 am

PE was very comfortable (YOW to CDG). The connecting flights book into Latitude (so preferred seats or immediate upgrades!).
Worth the money.
Can't see paying $500 more for business.
Did walk all the way to the back (was asked to assist with a passenger). It was a very, very long way back in a very, very large sea of people.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:41 am

The meal service was as follows: hot face towels, white table clothes, choice of two entrees, cloth napkins, J class cutlery. The meal was served on a tray together with a green salad and a very acceptable dessert. ( similar to New Zealand PE meal service). The entree was a J class meal, on full size china. Drinks were served in real glassware, but only the standard Y class wines; coffee was served in a J class china mug. The "snack" was forgettable, but was preceded by another hot towel service, and was served on china with a couple of decent chocolates. My gin and tonic order consisted of a glass with ice and lemon, a can of tonic, and two mini bottles of Tanquery. Very nice.

There is no partition or curtain between rows 14 and 18. Row 18 seems quite acceptable when the plane is empty, however, the seats are very very narrow, and I noticed when a fellow with broad shoulders was sitting in the row 18 aisle seat the passenger in the middle seat was unreasonably squished. It looked very uncomfortable.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:55 am

Ken, I answered your stock insight questions in the other thread you posted.

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Trailing 6-month share movement :

AC : +103.8%
DL : +69.2%
UA : +54.1%
US : +34.1%
WS : +11.1%

Trailing 52-week share movement :

AC : +143.2%
DL : +134.2%
UA : +65.5%
US : +65.4%
WS : + 5.2%
Originally Posted by KenHamer
So what are the numbers now?
Oh, hey, look Ken's back. aka Auto Fade. Wanting an update on the stock prices.

... Anyways, to the real-world results

Trailing 6 months :
AC : + 37%
WS : + 18%

Trailing 52 weeks :
AC : +345% (not too shabby, eh?)
WS : + 41%

So, What's your point exactly?

Ohh, and I promise you, I will update the numbers late next week to see where we're at.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 30, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.