Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by why fly
No hes not? UA 747 upper deck is light years ahead of AC seats! ^
you need to get out and try other airlines
Ha! I'd bet I've flown more airlines than most commenting in this thread.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Clipper801
The only thing that I don't like about UA 747 upper deck is the size of the overhead bin. It would not fit a standard size cabin trolley bag. You have to leave it in the closet at the landing as one climbs up the stairs.
I noticed that on BR too, although the planes are old like many 744's on UA. Is this because of the age of the aircraft or the shape of the upper deck? Does the 747-8 have this same issue?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I can only comment on the Asian routes and I disagree vehemently.
I consider the UA B777 2-4-2 config a ripoff and I assume the 4 seats is where UA sticks its upgrade coupon pax. Nothing is worse than being squashed in that row. I had the misfortune of looking back on those poor suckers on a few flights. My experience with F class on UA out of ORD was depressing. It was no better than J on AC. AC food was superior to UA on all of my flights. If you ever had the UA dried out entrees on the Asian flights you will understand my opinion. The only thing better on UA is the wine. The IFE is no better than AC's, although the Japanese routes did offer a wider selection of Asian films than found on AC.

I am unhappy with AC, but as much as I criticize the airline, I try to be fair. It is ridiculous to compare the garbage offered by UA to AC. IMO UA is a 2*- 2 1/2* airline and it caters to a clientele who haven't a clue as to quality, and are afraid of anything that isn't produced in an institutional kitchen specializing in saturated fat, sodium, imitation flavours and mystery ingredients. UA might as well contract out its catering to Jack in the Box or Popeye's Fried Chicken. I anticipate that one day UA will offer a hotdog casserole with jello pudding cups to its J class pax and call it "retro gourmet" dining.
Thank you for summarizing my thoughts!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dorian
Oh come on....those were insane comparisons. I literally laughed out loud.
Really? Perhaps you'd like to share the specifics about what is either funny, or wrong about the comparison?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Really? Perhaps you'd like to share the specifics about what is either funny, or wrong about the comparison?
The post above (1183) summarizes it for you.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I can only comment on the Asian routes and I disagree vehemently.
I consider the UA B777 2-4-2 config a ripoff and I assume the 4 seats is where UA sticks its upgrade coupon pax. Nothing is worse than being squashed in that row. I had the misfortune of looking back on those poor suckers on a few flights. My experience with F class on UA out of ORD was depressing. It was no better than J on AC. AC food was superior to UA on all of my flights. If you ever had the UA dried out entrees on the Asian flights you will understand my opinion. The only thing better on UA is the wine. The IFE is no better than AC's, although the Japanese routes did offer a wider selection of Asian films than found on AC.

I am unhappy with AC, but as much as I criticize the airline, I try to be fair. It is ridiculous to compare the garbage offered by UA to AC. IMO UA is a 2*- 2 1/2* airline and it caters to a clientele who haven't a clue as to quality, and are afraid of anything that isn't produced in an institutional kitchen specializing in saturated fat, sodium, imitation flavours and mystery ingredients. UA might as well contract out its catering to Jack in the Box or Popeye's Fried Chicken. I anticipate that one day UA will offer a hotdog casserole with jello pudding cups to its J class pax and call it "retro gourmet" dining.
Can you read my post carefully please? Where did I mention the PMUA 777 was better than AC? I wrote the opposite. Also, you are making assumptions about UA which are factually incorrect - UA does not "stick its coupon upgrade passengers" in specific seats, thank you.

Catering wise, I think we'll agree to disagree - disgusting, inedible food is a brand hallmark of Air Canada. UA might not offer anything close to a restaurant meal, but they deliver consistently better food than AC and I've had both.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
The post above (1183) summarizes it for you.
Which is factually incorrect, and a misunderstanding of my original post content wrt the aircraft types.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:34 pm

Catering wise, I think we'll agree to disagree - disgusting, inedible food is a brand hallmark of Air Canada. UA might not offer anything close to a restaurant meal, but they deliver consistently better food than AC and I've had both.
Are you sure you've eaten the UA food?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Which is factually incorrect, and a misunderstanding of my original post content wrt the aircraft types.
Boca, give up.... really... there will even be people here that will say that 458 people on a 777 is a good thing. AC rah rah the best rah rah 4* rah rah. Just give up.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RCyyz
My $0.02 on UA J vs AC J:
  • As others point out, the 2-4-2 config on UA is pitiful vs the 1-2-1 on AC. I also find the front / back seating on UA detracts from a feeling of privacy.
  • UA IFE is way better than AC. I rarely use AC IFE because I find there's nothing interesting. I almost always use UA IFE.
  • UA 747 upper deck is something I like very much. It's a much better 2-2 config upstairs and I like being up in the hump.
  • UA J seats are still on the narrow side, but nowhere near as tight as AC pods which I find are just downright squishy around the shoulders and in the foot rest.
  • AC food is OK, UA food is OK too. In general I somewhat prefer UA food but it's not a huge difference. That said, the UA ice cream sundaes are a fun treat that I always enjoy.
  • Upgrading on UA carries the usual R-space challenges, but at least it's do-able in a consistent fashion unlike AC where you pay big bucks for a Flex fare with no guarantee that you'll get anything other than a seat in the back of the bus.
  • UA J fares are often less than AC J fares. Sure there's the inevitable transfer in the US, but that's typically a small thing compared to the price difference.

One other point with UA - buy a J fare (or even a P or Z fare) and subject to availability you can upgrade to F using points. Granted UA F is nothing compared to a real F product, but it's much better than UA J and AC J as well. The UA F pods are quite nice with lots of space both for sitting / sleeping and for storing your bits (iPad, iPod, headphone etc).
+1
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I was just looking at tickets to go to LHR next summer, and just noticed that YUL - LHR is on the 777 HD as well (previously served by the 333 I believe).

I don't know if this was announced at all.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I was just looking at tickets to go to LHR next summer, and just noticed that YUL - LHR is on the 777 HD as well (previously served by the 333 I believe).

I don't know if this was announced at all.
It was 77P this year as well.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Redacted--

Last edited by mapleg; Dec 19, 2014 at 9:03 am
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by mapleg
Thought I would book something to Japan May 2015 and just realized that AC is now using the 77W in May to HND That ends that plan right now.

Guess I will have to look at NRT instead of HND, or pick another carrier.
Why? What's wrong with the original 77W? This isn't the HD version - at least not yet.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Why? What's wrong with the original 77W? This isn't the HD version - at least not yet.
Oops...my error.... I really should have a little more coffee before I start posting! You are right...for some reason I thought it was the HD version they were using. I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.