Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
I flew the 777 HD on December 26 YVR to LHR. Was seated in 14D - PE. I actually did not mind the seat and if the price is right, I would book the seat as I can rarely justify a business class seat. However, aside from the wall behind row 14 (middle 4 seats) - to anchor the baby bassinet ... there is no separate cabin for PE and E. That is 14AC have no wall or curtain behind it, same for the right two seats.

I would not like to be seated in a middle seat in the economy section. PE was full and to be fair, I did not fell that cramped in my seat.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by jjbc
- to anchor the baby bassinet ... there is no separate cabin for PE and E. That is 14AC have no wall or curtain behind it, same for the right two seats.
How bad was the washroom situation in 12/13/14AC? Of course the relative lack of washrooms on these aircraft pretty much precludes AC from installing a curtain and making the PE cabin "separate" from Y.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:44 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dorian
Are you sure you've eaten the UA food?
I have, though it's been a few years. But I enthusiastically recommend the UA meals I've had in domestic F, and international C and F.

Not saying AC is bad, but my food experiences have been better on UA.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I have, though it's been a few years. But I enthusiastically recommend the UA meals I've had in domestic F, and international C and F.

Not saying AC is bad, but my food experiences have been better on UA.
This is maybe why they were better.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Just had my first flight on the HD - AC 153 YYZ-YVR connecting to ICN.
I was in J, and was very disappointed by the seats.
First, the term coffin is very apt. I was in 2D, and when in flat bed mode I did
not have enough width to lie flat on my back or my stomach - thee was no place
to put my arms. The foot space was very constricting. As a result, I was not able
to use the flat bed mode.

The flight was full. I took the opportunity to stroll through the entire plane.
PE looks like it might be tolerable for a 5 hours flight, but I don't see how anyone could be subjected to the Y cabin for a 16 hour flight to HKG.

My first, and last flight on this plane, at least until they redo the J seats.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: ACSE*2MM,CX Diamond, BA Gold, OW Emerald,Fairmont Platinum, SPG Platnium Lifetime,
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Just had my first flight on the HD - AC 153 YYZ-YVR connecting to ICN.
I was in J, and was very disappointed by the seats.
First, the term coffin is very apt. I was in 2D, and when in flat bed mode I did
not have enough width to lie flat on my back or my stomach - thee was no place
to put my arms. The foot space was very constricting. As a result, I was not able
to use the flat bed mode.

The flight was full. I took the opportunity to stroll through the entire plane.
PE looks like it might be tolerable for a 5 hours flight, but I don't see how anyone could be subjected to the Y cabin for a 16 hour flight to HKG.

My first, and last flight on this plane, at least until they redo the J seats.
Yet another happy customer!...more R space for me to enjoy..._
Premium Economy is very DOABLE on 13 hours gate to gate but wouldn't be my first choice/ As you said about the back.....FORGETABOUT IT!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:39 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by 2MMKid
Premium Economy is very DOABLE on 13 hours gate to gate but wouldn't be my first choice/ As you said about the back.....FORGETABOUT IT!
You guys do realize that hundreds of people do that every day, right?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PLeblond
You guys do realize that hundreds of people do that every day, right?
Doesn't mean they are happy campers post flight...
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:48 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Doesn't mean they are happy campers post flight...
My point was simply that not everyone flies enough to get upgrades, and even fewer people who can afford paid J, or even pay for PE.

So for every person sitting in the big seats, there are 7+ people sitting in the back. Flying is as affordable as it has ever been and many people who could not afford to travel 10 or 15 years go can now do so.

You may be surprised how many people aren't phased by flying Y when its part of discovering a new world, especially for the first time.

I know this place is a forum for those in the know, those who fly regularly and those who like to fly in luxury. But sometimes I think we forget that flying up front is privileged and can become condescending towards the masses (expressions like 'kettles' comes to mind). That irks me more than a little.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Y is very doable with a bulkhead/exit row seat.
Tango+bulkhead/exit row is pretty good value imo (even if you have to pay for them).
** assuming you don't need the AQM

I only book PE if I have the credits to upgrade and/or there is a bonus mile multiplier.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
My point was simply that not everyone flies enough to get upgrades, and even fewer people who can afford paid J, or even pay for PE.

So for every person sitting in the big seats, there are 7+ people sitting in the back. Flying is as affordable as it has ever been and many people who could not afford to travel 10 or 15 years go can now do so.

You may be surprised how many people aren't phased by flying Y when its part of discovering a new world, especially for the first time.

I know this place is a forum for those in the know, those who fly regularly and those who like to fly in luxury. But sometimes I think we forget that flying up front is privileged and can become condescending towards the masses (expressions like 'kettles' comes to mind). That irks me more than a little.
Fair point. For the record...i also consider myself kettle...i fly Y almost exclusively for work travel. I get the derogatory nature of the word but I did not even know what it was until learning it here.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

Well said ^

Flyertalk should have a disclaimer that it in no way resembles real world.

However, while I dont mind Y at all, and would rather fly one longhaul 12 hour Y flight, than 3x4hr domestic flights, there is no way you will see me on Rouge or this AC 777SShip™. But most people have no clue. Ask anyone on the street on what the difference between a 777 and 737 is.... Some people will have no clue that they were just subjected to a 458pax 777, which is not the norm. They will just assume its just as bad everywhere, since well, its Air Canada, and its supposed to be good. People just want to get places. People who fly for work to the same boring power point presentation and check in to the same cookie-cutter chain hotel every night, over and over forget that flying is done by most in order to actually get somewhere for other reason than to work. And the difference between Y and J buys you a couple weeks vacation on the ground.

Last edited by rankourabu; Jan 11, 2015 at 9:14 am
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Well said ^

^^^
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Well said ^

^^

And I can add that the effects on me personally have not always been positive... It has shifted my view of the world. I didn't mind flying 3h on DL in a middle non-recline seat to be reminded of the luxury I've come to enjoy as a given. Heck, I even got so crazy as to rationalize a Europe J pass for myself
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
^^

And I can add that the effects on me personally have not always been positive... It has shifted my view of the world. I didn't mind flying 3h on DL in a middle non-recline seat to be reminded of the luxury I've come to enjoy as a given. Heck, I even got so crazy as to rationalize a Europe J pass for myself
I reached that point a long time before discovering FT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.