Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by john_doe123123
why not just use a boarding number on every boarding pass, like UA
Pretty much all legacy airlines are using extremely arcane systems that have been patched together over the last few decades. AC IT is renowned for their incompetency when a change is relatively simple, adding in boarding groups would not fall into the simple category.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
None of these changes will impact me one way or another. I have had SE for about 4 or 5 years, and expect to continue for the foreseeable future, as we just made an acquisition in Australia. The decrease in threshold miles is annoying, but then I always end up with unused credits at the end of the year, as I don't use them on domestic short haul. I also have DL G, and have been flying them on anything not direct as I get UDU on most flights out of YYZ. Biggest perk for me is YYZ MLL, *A lounges and international UG's. Mind you, I'm in the United Lounge at ORD right now and it is crap....
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by john_doe123123
why not just use a boarding number on every boarding pass, like UA
UA still reads out all the tiers... "Zone 1 our first class cabin 1K flyers blah blah blah.. zone 2 Premier Exec Star Alliance Gold blah blah blah"
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Has there been any mention of how (or if) early recognition will work with the new program? They certainly can't give it to you for each tier, with select privileges every time along the way. You'd wind up with ~200 e-credits!

One way is to recognize you with each step, starting from 35k or 50k, but only the status itself and the threshold benefits and no select privileges.
Interesting question. I would expect that early recognition would be handled as it is now with two levels: at 50K (first level of *G) and 100K (top level of program). Maybe they will not change it at all though and leave it at 35K and 100K.

That would be very interesting to find out though soon because this might actually be motivation to stay as Elite 35K and then ride the wave next year up higher... I might have to have my FF number removed on a bunch of upcoming flights until we find out the answer.

On another note, I also want to find out more details on the aircanada.com travel options. While it says there will be a range of options I am guessing it will be restricted to the Onboard Cafe stuff.

Something like the following:
25K - $1 off onboard Cafe purchase
35K - $2 off onboard Cafe purchase
50K - One free snack
75K - One free sandwich
100K - Sandwich and non-imported Beer ($5 to upgrade to Heineken)

Regardless of what it is, I will probably take that over the lounge certs since I always seem to have trouble finding people who will use them.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:45 pm

'100K - Sandwich and non-imported Beer ($5 to upgrade to Heineken)'

Sensfan, despite the fact that you support the wrong hockey team, I like the cut of your jib...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Incomprehensible program

I only joined the AC program in 2011 and managed Elite level for 2012. I found it a complex program, but happy to see the miles accumulate with the air or redeeming on SQ at some stage..

Now its simply incomprehensible to this non Canadian. Aeroplan AND Altitude? 5 tiers?!!

Like some-one else said, surely a transition phose with the objective of eliminating non 'productive' flyers via a downwards merging of 25K with 35K and 75K with 50K in 2014.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
Is the international pier of YVR in the same security zone as domestic? If so, say you are flying overseas from YVR as an ACE35 - will they stop you from entering the domestic lounge with an international boarding pass? Do they already do that today?
I tried asking the information booth guy that once so that I could take a shower in domestic, and he strongly discouraged me from doing so - can't remember exactly why but from what I recall it was a different security zone.
You can use the domestic lounge if you can get there. On a connection you will hand in domestic zone and can go there. It is then easy to go from domestic area to international. I did in YUL for an evening flight as the lounge is a horrible disaster with no seats.

If not connecting, not sure if CATSA will let you into domestic area with an international boarding pass. In the US the TSA allows any boarding pass to be used to get to any area of the airport for lounge access.

Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
In the US the TSA allows any boarding pass to be used to get to any area of the airport for lounge access.
Unless they changed it recently, this does not apply to LAX. TSA will not let you in unless you hold a boarding pass for a flight departing from that terminal.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Sep 21, 2012 at 5:44 pm
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RooFlyer
I only joined the AC program in 2011 and managed Elite level for 2012. I found it a complex program, but happy to see the miles accumulate with the air or redeeming on SQ at some stage..

Now its simply incomprehensible to this non Canadian. Aeroplan AND Altitude? 5 tiers?!!

Like some-one else said, surely a transition phose with the objective of eliminating non 'productive' flyers via a downwards merging of 25K with 35K and 75K with 50K in 2014.
What part of the program do you find so difficult to understand? How many miles / segments you need to qualify for each tier?

You collect your miles in Aeroplan, and Aeroplan administers the program as such. The Top Tier program with the now five status levels however, recognizes the number of status miles you collect in Aeroplan. This program is now called Altitude and is managed directly by Air Canada, not Aeroplan.

That's why you are an Air Canada Elite member, not Aeroplan Elite member.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Sep 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by RooFlyer
I think most of us who believe this system is a temporary one believe the system will still end up with four levels - 25, 50, 75 and 100.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
What part of the program do you find so difficult to understand? How many miles / segments you need to qualify for each tier?
+1, it's an FF program, not brain surgery. Maybe Canadian's are just really smart, and the only ones that can figure out these super complex programs...lol
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I am just wondering what flights are 11001+ miles

Even YYZ-SYD is only 9900'ish

edit: Planning for the 787 maybe?
SYD-LHR Via YYZ
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
+1, it's an FF program, not brain surgery. Maybe Canadian's are just really smart, and the only ones that can figure out these super complex programs...lol
Well, not Canadians in general (look at slickdeals) but those that are willing to use and leverage the program are for sure going to take a good look at it.
It's meant to be complex so that for the majority of flyers the airline can win.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
Unless they changed it recently, this does not apply to LAX. TSA will not let you in unless you hold a boarding pass for a flight departing from that terminal.
Correct. Causes no end of nuisance if you happen to have a codeshare flight.

"United doesn't fly from this terminal."

Ugh.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by nave888
Someone mentioned:

Originally Posted by AC888

"As someone else mentioned, I'm curious how boarding announcements will work now. How will they distinguish between the various Elites without spewing a mouthful of numbers?"

I think thats actually why they kept all the higher levels "Elite"-- When they call priority boarding or have signs for security lines, they just have to say "Air Canada Elite", as it includes the 35K, 50K, 75K elite, as well as super elite.....Prestige doesn't get these perks, and are not labeled "elite".

Imagine if they had to call "Air Canada platinum (making up a random new name for top level), Air Canada Super Elite, Air Canada Elite, and Air Canada Prestige Plus" pax for boarding....Just simpler to align the perks with the name.
Ah, I missed the part about 35K Elites still getting priority boarding on AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.