Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Prem;DELTA gold;AMEX Cent;AC P;SPG gold;AVIS PC;Hertz gold,Fairmont Plat,HH Diamond,R&C 5C
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
WOW...clearly aimed at culling the 35k-49k flyer....wonder if that is smart?

A person who flies 49k status miles is a nobody but the friend of a SE can gift a e50k to anyone, even a non frequent flier.....just WOW

I have no issue with gifting for SE but i think those that fall into 35-49k will flee.......but who knows?
No competative and now only get *A siver. Yeap flEeing is what I am doing. We nt to the uk last month, and went with BA (last min but still cheaper then AC) going back in 2 weeks. Guess what I am flying?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:02 pm

LOL - sent to Air Canada website feedback form and received autoreply that they will take 25 days to respond......OK then, will post here instead:

As an Air Canada Elite / Star Alliance Gold member for more than 10 years, I believe I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars with your airline, so I hope this letter carries some weight if only for financial reasons. I am writing to express my serious disappointment with Air Canada's decision to take away my ability to qualify for Star Alliance Gold status almost 9 months into the qualifying year.

At the beginning of 2012, I was sent an email from Air Canada/Aeroplan specifically confirming that I would receive Star Alliance gold status in 2013 if I reached 35,000 status miles and 5 Air Canada segments before Dec 31 2012. I am sure you understand that, for frequent international travelers, this is by far the most relevant benefit of the Aeroplan program. As a result of this email, I based my flight booking and purchase decisions for the past 9 months on this assurance.

This morning, I received an email informing me that, as a result of the new "Altitude" plan, I would no longer be entitled to Star Alliance Gold status for reaching these thresholds. After calling Air Canada and Aeroplan (and receiving 2 different answers), I finally called Air Canada a 3rd time and received confirmation this was true. In other words, Air Canada is telling me I now need to fly an additional 15,000 miles in the next 3 months just to receive the same status which I was informed would be available to me already. For Air Canada to institute such a significant change 9 months into the qualifying year is something that an absurdly inappropriate way to treat its most loyal customers. I have personally averaged 40-80k per year for more than a decade.

Living in Asia, I had planned to book my Christmas flights back to Canada from Hong Kong (for 2 passengers) and I have at least 1-2 other major trips to make prior to Dec 31 2012. My original plan was to book these flights on Air Canada, which would leave me comfortably more than the 35,000 miles I was told would originally have allowed me to renew my Star Alliance Gold status.

However, in view of the program changes, if Air Canada does not reverse its policy, I can assure you that I will book these flights on another airline. In the future, particularly in Canada and the US, I will now no longer make any effort to travel on Air Canada as Star Alliance Gold status is all that differentiates Air Canada from less expensive alternatives such as WestJet and Porter Air.

Frankly speaking, I am utterly shocked that Air Canada would even remotely consider making this type of announcement at any time other than prior to the beginning of a new qualifying year, so that its most loyal customers could base their flying decisions on accurate and relevant information, rather than telling them at the proverbial `last minute`that they will no longer qualify for something they had previously been promised. I am certain there are potentially thousands of other customers who are similarly outraged.

Such a course of action indicates that Air Canada is truly out of touch with (or, worse, does not care about) the impact its business decisions have on its passengers.

If this decision is reversed prior to the middle of October, I may reconsider booking my future flights on Air Canada. If not, however, I wanted to inform you that I have lost my last thread of patience with Air Canada and I see no value in continuing my relationship with the company.

Regards,
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
I'm fascinated by those in the 35K crowd who are upset, angry, and feel slighted by AC.
First off how is any of this new knowledge as of today. It was spelled out in full mid December 2011 that 35k would become Star Silver.

Members earning 35,000 Status Miles or 35 Status Flight Segments will notice changes to their 2013 Top Tier benefit program as compared to the 2012 Top Tier Program:
Star Alliance Gold recognition will be replaced by Star Alliance Silver. Members, however, will be able to choose Star Alliance Lounge access as a Select Privilege
Upgrades with eUpgrade Credits will apply on Tango Plus and Latitude fares for travel in North America, and Latitude fares (as well as Tango Plus, M booking class) for travel to international destinations
Members will continue to enjoy many Air Canada Priority Airport and Reservation services, complimentary access to Maple Leaf Lounges, three complimentary checked bags on Air Canada flights, Bonus Aeroplan Miles for eligible flights as a Select Privilege, and more

Second thing is? Could you not see the writing on the wall. AC was a founding member of the Star Allaince network was for years and the only one with Gold Status sub 50K.

So I'm not saying a told you so and belive me I was certainly there years ago. Although this is Buisness and like it or not it's AC descion to make. It just seems these threads go on and on about one thing that isn't new news.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:10 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vanspire
LOL - sent to Air Canada website feedback form and received autoreply that they will take 25 days to respond......OK then, will post here instead:
Where have you been? They announced the changes last December... so your whole point of no early warning is moot.

Are you also aware that the lowest fare to Asia are Tango that only earns 50% status miles? So unless you are willing to shell out 4-500 extra for T+, or fly UA, you would be unlikely to reach 35k.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...r-program.html
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
the Elite 35K lounge access is going to confuse star alliance lounges cuz it's not a *A Gold card
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:18 pm

Not sure where it was announced but I was sent an email from Air Canada/Aeroplan specifically confirming that I would receive Star Alliance gold status in 2013 if I reached 35,000 status miles and 5 Air Canada segments before Dec 31 2012. So I am somewhat trading on the fact that I only stumbled on this forum today and expected that an email from the company would be accurate....then again, judging from the calls I have had with them, it's pretty clear that even some of their staff didn't know what's up so quite likely I got an inaccurate email....not sure if that makes it better or worse

Originally Posted by Silvercity
I'm fascinated by those in the 35K crowd who are upset, angry, and feel slighted by AC.
First off how is any of this new knowledge as of today. It was spelled out in full mid December 2011 that 35k would become Star Silver.

Members earning 35,000 Status Miles or 35 Status Flight Segments will notice changes to their 2013 Top Tier benefit program as compared to the 2012 Top Tier Program:
Star Alliance Gold recognition will be replaced by Star Alliance Silver. Members, however, will be able to choose Star Alliance Lounge access as a Select Privilege
Upgrades with eUpgrade Credits will apply on Tango Plus and Latitude fares for travel in North America, and Latitude fares (as well as Tango Plus, M booking class) for travel to international destinations
Members will continue to enjoy many Air Canada Priority Airport and Reservation services, complimentary access to Maple Leaf Lounges, three complimentary checked bags on Air Canada flights, Bonus Aeroplan Miles for eligible flights as a Select Privilege, and more

Second thing is? Could you not see the writing on the wall. AC was a founding member of the Star Allaince network was for years and the only one with Gold Status sub 50K.

So I'm not saying a told you so and belive me I was certainly there years ago. Although this is Buisness and like it or not it's AC descion to make. It just seems these threads go on and on about one thing that isn't new news.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:19 pm

I'm glad they released the details this early. I'll likely be able to hit SE as I'll hit 86 segments tomorrow. One more trip for work and I'll be within striking distance for a segment run. Now I've got to consider the timing of when I hit SE as I'lll likely cross the 60k threshold by the time I hit 95 segments. Do I go for early SE and earn a bunch of eUpgrades that will expire in February (I'll likely won't use all my eUpgrades this year anyways as almost all my flights are on ACX), or do I wait to cross until November and delay my new status, but earn an additional 20 eUpgrade certs for 2013?

I'm happy with the changes, but only because I'll likely hit SE and have already qualified for 75k. I'll likely qualify for a lower tier next year, and don't know if I like what I see at the 35k and 50k levels.

I wonder about the option to lower requalification requrements. If I choose this option, does the benefit only apply to requalify for SE, or if I only fly 46 segments next year does it also apply to help me reach the 50k level. I wonder if having this option will also become AC's excuse for denying bumping up a person who flies 99.5k miles next year.

Originally Posted by Air Canada Top Tier
[INDENT]eUpgrade Credits. The number of eUpgrade Credits required has remained largely unchanged. For members traveling on journeys under 500 miles, now only 4 credits will be required with most Tango Plus fares. This is mainly designed for members flying Rapidair, or our western triangle service between Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. At the opposite end of the spectrum, those flying on international journeys over 11,000 miles will be charged a larger number of credits. Naturally, this better aligns the value of our Executive First product with distance travelled.
Is there going to be a special exemption for YVR-YEG, as the eUpgrade credit calculator shows the mileage for this city pair is 507 miles.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: FT
Ok off topic but I've collected Krug for years. So please tell where on the US you can get it Sub $100 btl. Also when did you buy 1990 Krug (in 1994)? It's has been sub $200 in 15yrs. Just sold a case in auction for a whole lot more. AC wines simply SUCK
nv at abc liquor several stores in fl from time to time as I remember and wine warehouse had it for 120 in north orlando for the longest time but abc was cheaper then. You can also get through agents in the us from time to time but as the econ picks up, so does the price, unless you loaded up like me, the slump in the economy has been good. If you live in canada you have to sort out storage and bring up in duty free intervals. My storage is in WA. As to the 90, nope, bought in alberta for 189 in I think 2007. It holds a sentimental value given my visit to krug in 2003 and seeing the mold covered 90 bottles. I still remember our guide, at 11am in the tasting room, the only good bottle of krug is an empty bottle of krug. Btw, my mag of 89 was 225 as my wife has corrected me.....at the LCBO several years ago.

Yah, I sell stuff at auction for lots also. That does not mean you could not find it for WAY LESS before. I mean my 95 to 01 vertical of harlan sold at auction for a wee bit more than I paid for the same at the release price. Same for my saxum and sqn but you have to be on the lists early I guess. I mean I think my buddy originally bought his 85 sassicaia on release for 25 bucks. Action on that one is a little more.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by KenHamer
As someone else noted, EZE-HKG is over 11K. But how many people are flying that route and trying to upgrade the entire journey?
Actually, I have met people doing EZE-PEK all with AC (EZE-SCL-YYZ-YVR-PEK). You have to admit that at 17 ecredits it was a good deal...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:26 pm

Slightly off topic, but wonder how they will integrate EVA with Star Alliance next year....wish they would figure that out soon. I am 1 segment away from EVA Gold Card, which lasts for 2 years instead of 1 year anyways. Maybe I can kiss AC good bye regardless.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Not sure where it was announced but I was sent an email from Air Canada/Aeroplan specifically confirming that I would receive Star Alliance gold status in 2013 if I reached 35,000 status miles and 5 Air Canada segments before Dec 31 2012. So I am somewhat trading on the fact that I only stumbled on this forum today and expected that an email from the company would be accurate....then again, judging from the calls I have had with them, it's pretty clear that even some of their staff didn't know what's up so quite likely I got an inaccurate email....not sure if that makes it better or worse
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Do you have said email? I'm surprised that you're surprised. The info about the 35k tier has been out for a long time. Star Silver with some extra bennies. That's been the message since early in the year.

Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't more constructive conversation about this. I was really looking forward to the announcement in hopes that we'd have a really interesting thread about it. Instead, it's the same old crap. AC IS SCREWING ME!!! Yawn.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl
LHR-YYZ-SYD is 13K miles.
Hmm, according to eUpgrades it's "Distance: 10,538 miles". I wonder what routes people are using this on that is hurting...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by DutchSE
"At the opposite end of the spectrum, those flying on international journeys over 11,000 miles will be charged a larger number of credits"

I wonder how much more.
You noticed that too. Well, all I know is that there is no incentive for me to fly on AC on my long hauls to Asia. For example, I have to go to China in peak travel season - December/January YYZ-PEK
5 star Hainan Business class is $2650 and First class $4600.
3 star Air Canada Executive class is $5356.

No brainer. The AC FF points are worthless when the cost savings on a J class seat are taken into consideration I could make 2 round trips on Hainan, at the cost of 1 trip on AC and then after 4 or 5 trips on AC have the pleasure of paying $1000 or so in charges to use my FF points. Not much of an incentive is it?
Do the math and it is obvious that on many long haul routes now, the AC FF program is worthless. On my Hainan flights I can fly First for less than AC, have a decent meal, premium service and get a better redemption opportunity for my points.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Sep 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:48 pm

Slightly off topic, but wonder how they will integrate EVA with Star Alliance next year....wish they would figure that out soon. I am 1 segment away from EVA Gold Card, which lasts for 2 years instead of 1 year anyways. Maybe I can kiss AC good bye regardless.
The gold status may be for 2 years, but check your mile expiration dates.
EVA has a short life span, so, all the miles can be lost if you are short. I had to make a quick cash in last year or lose 125K. The gold card status is useless if you are flying premium laurel as it gives more extras than the gold card. I have a feeling EVA will play with its gold card status once it integrates into *A. And keep in mind that premium Laurel for now is about $1500-$2000 less than similar routes to China.Hong Kong and $2,000+ less on other asian routes. It will be a toughie though, whether to accre on EVA or AP.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:55 pm

"Snip"

Fair enough, but keep in mind that airfares are significantly higher in Canada. I sympathize with the grumblings. From a cost perspective, it is significantly less costly to obtain 50K status in the USA than it is in Canada. Long haul flights to Asia out of Europe are also less costly than from Canada, so EU FFs have a better value proposition. In Canada, the pax pay much higher airfares and are screwed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.