Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Max Power
Uh, would some kind soul please provide a decoder for all the above acronyms?

Thanks.
EQM = elite qualifying miles = status miles
AA = American Airlines
AA EXP = Executive Platinum status = highest status with American Airlines
MP = United Mileage Plus
1K = highest status with United
A3 = Aegean Airlines (their freuqent flyer program is very popular as you only need 20k status miles to earn Star Alliance Gold status)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:27 am

Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altit ude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,A ltitude.

What a stupid naming program.

AC has too many summer students running the show.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Fair enough, but keep in mind that airfares are significantly higher in Canada. I sympathize with the grumblings. From a cost perspective, it is significantly less costly to obtain 50K status in the USA than it is in Canada. Long haul flights to Asia out of Europe are also less costly than from Canada, so EU FFs have a better value proposition. In Canada, the pax pay much higher airfares and are screwed.
Exactly! so do something for those who stay loyal to AC metal...... because this year i have had great success with US airlines including buying J seat for less than an AC y seat (connector vs direct was the give back).....

As far as previous announcement ....... it was stated that *lounge would be a choice but not also losing ecerts as a choice PLUS cutting the available ecerts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: AC MM
Thanks Jasper, I appreciate you providing the crib for that post, now I can go back and read it and try and make some sense of it.

As for the Aeroplan program changes - I'm SuperElite, and qualify for SuperElite every year because I constantly travel intercontinental in paid J for work purposes. To me, given my circumstances, the only benefits of Aeroplan SE membership are:

1) The dedicated phone number for SEs, which usually gets answered on the first ring, and;

2) The upgrade points, which allow me to buy Tango Plus fares for my international leisure travel and then upgrade to business. I've never failed to get an upgrade to J from a T+ fare in the past 3 or 4 years.

Everything else that the SE level offers (lounge access, priority boarding, priority check-in, priority baggage) I get automatically from any airline as a paid J passenger.

It doesn't appear to me that these 2013 program changes will affect me too much, although it appears at first glance that I lose a little bit by having to choose between a 100% bonus on Aeroplan points vs. a whole pile of eupgrade points at the start of the year - I think we used to get both in the past. But, I usually have lots of eupgrade points left over at year end, and now I will get a new benefit of being able to use eupgrade points to upgrade coach class Aeroplan reward tickets - so, I suppose it all averages out in the end.

What does surprise me is that Air Canada did not take the opportunity to sweeten the pot and encourage travelers (at all levels) to make more of an effort to fly on Air Canada and earn their frequent flyer status on Air Canada planes, as opposed to flying other Star Alliance carriers. In the past 5 years, I think I have only made 2 flights on any Star Alliance carrier other than Air Canada - in other words, the 100,000+ status miles I earn every year are flown entirely on Air Canada. From reading the comments in this thread, it appears that a lot of people earn Elite or SE recognition on Air Canada even though the bulk of their flying takes place on other Star Alliance carriers.

I would have thought that it would be in Air Canada's best interest to make it more attractive for people to fly specifically on Air Canada, rather than on any Star Alliance carrier.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by gglave
Does 50K on United or US Airways earn you access to lounges?
Couldnt you get Priority Pass with the savings and still have lots left over?

I'm not 100% but i believe it works at RCC (or w/e they call it now)....maybe US air as well?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: AC*E50
Is the international pier of YVR in the same security zone as domestic? If so, say you are flying overseas from YVR as an ACE35 - will they stop you from entering the domestic lounge with an international boarding pass? Do they already do that today?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
Is the international pier of YVR in the same security zone as domestic? If so, say you are flying overseas from YVR as an ACE35 - will they stop you from entering the domestic lounge with an international boarding pass? Do they already do that today?
I tried asking the information booth guy that once so that I could take a shower in domestic, and he strongly discouraged me from doing so - can't remember exactly why but from what I recall it was a different security zone.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by hewhofliesalittle
I guess is back to BA, although they suck too, hence my move to *A three years ago. In a way, AC got what they wanted: I only did 3 inter-continental flights with them this year - I'm not worth their time. I got the message loud and clear.
For your consideration... If you will typically fly 80,000 miles per year, this program is a pretty good one for you - better than in the past. It just happens to not be great great at this renewal.

If Star Alliance lounge access is very important to you, that is an option that you can choose as a 35K. If you switched to BA, you'd have no access with them either unless you got a status match.

One thing I haven't noticed is whether as a 35K once you reach 50K or 75K in 2013 you get early access to the additional benefits as is the case this year when people reach Elite from no or Presitge status. If yes, then part way through the year you will have all your benefits back.

Last edited by The Lev; Sep 21, 2012 at 8:35 am
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I tried asking the information booth guy that once so that I could take a shower in domestic, and he strongly discouraged me from doing so - can't remember exactly why but from what I recall it was a different security zone.
There is one security that is puts you @ the ramp/escalator to the Domestic MLL. As you clear that security point, left turn takes you to Domestic gates, Right turn to hallway to international gates.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It doesn't appear to me that these 2013 program changes will affect me too much, although it appears at first glance that I lose a little bit by having to choose between a 100% bonus on Aeroplan points vs. a whole pile of eupgrade points at the start of the year - I think we used to get both in the past. But, I usually have lots of eupgrade points left over at year end, and now I will get a new benefit of being able to use eupgrade points to upgrade coach class Aeroplan reward tickets - so, I suppose it all averages out in the end.
Bolding mine.

Not really

Selection #1 2 of the 4.
100K Bonus Points
50 e-Upgrades
95K/90 for Requalification
Gift a friend 50K Elite status
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't appear to me that these 2013 program changes will affect me too much, although it appears at first glance that I lose a little bit by having to choose between a 100% bonus on Aeroplan points vs. a whole pile of eupgrade points at the start of the year - I think we used to get both in the past.
You can still choose both the eUpgrades and the 100% bonus miles.

What is new and could be a benefit for you is the ability to nominate someone else (spouse, parent, child, FT friend...) as an Elite 50K. If you were to choose this, you'd give up either the eUpgrades or the 100% bonus miles.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by getaround
Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altit ude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,A ltitude.
What a stupid naming program.
AC has too many summer students running the show.
The challenge AC has is finding both bilingual program and tier names. Certainly cuts down on the options.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Where did you see this (no fee for bikes)? This would be great for me.
It was in the very first post:
Originally Posted by Air Canada Top Tier
Checked baggage allowance. Our complimentary checked baggage allowance for Altitude members remains unchanged versus this year's program, and among the most generous in the industry. New next year, when special equipment such as bikes and surfboards is checked as part of your complimentary checked baggage allowance, the handling fees will be waived for all Altitude members.
...and is confirmed here:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...rport_Services

Complimentary Sports Equipment Handling

Enjoy waived handling fees when special items such as bicycles and surfboards are checked within your complimentary checked baggage allowance on flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada Express.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Prestige
Hey, what about those important luggage tags?
I asked actoptier on twitter - they said 35k and higher will be receiving them.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
Is the international pier of YVR in the same security zone as domestic?
No - Completely different zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.