Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
If you have a "foreign" Star Gold - ie. Air Canada, Aegean, Thai, etc., you can access any UA/US lounge - regardless of what class you are in.

If you have a US/UA Star Gold - you cannot access lounges in the USA if you have a purely domestic itinerary - regardless what class you are in. You need to have a same-day international connection (including Canada, and it doesnt have to be to/from the airport you are trying to gain access)

Can you imagine how crowded American lounges would be if every domestic Joe Consultant 50k+elite was allowed in?
And they wouldnt sell any memberships to those people either

Bottom line, if you fly from Canada to the USA - you have nothing to worry about when it comes to lounge access, and if you are a 50k-75k transborder flyer - Aeroplan is probably not for you.
OK, thanks for clarifying!.... i am shocked 'foreign' cards get domestic access and not US ones....wow

Last edited by bizorbetter; Sep 22, 2012 at 11:43 am Reason: add comment
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by KenHamer
He he... I remember a time not so long ago when some of us were predicting an increase from 35K to 50K and many others were saying it would never happen.
People are saying the same now on transborder and European Tango fares
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:52 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Furthermore in the US some econo fares earn a 50% CoS bonus, and J/F fares within the US are often a tiny fraction of those in Canada. As well many US carriers offer additional status miles via bonuses and other means.

Saying it was easier to get *G status on AC for 35K instead of other carriers at 50K is like saying €35 is cheaper than $50.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
OK, thanks for clarifying!.... i am shocked 'foreign' cards get domestic access and not US ones....wow
Reasoning behind it probably Americans have to buy membership for Airline Clubs.

One can get around that is have *Gold status in Non -US *A Airlines.

I have *A Gold in 2 non-US airlines as well as United. Thus if I am stricly on US Domestic Itinerary, I just present one of my other *A Gold card & I get access to the Clubs. Done it with USAir Clubs & United Club.

Thus there is way around.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:01 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by xLuther

The question is was it announced to all Aeroplan members or only those that follow FlyerTalk.
Email on full program was sent to all Aeroplan members this week,( same day they posted it here) the on site information has been public for > 9 months

This is not a surprise,
Did they send an e-mail 9 months ago announcing the new info on their website? (Just a question, as clearly some *were* surprised.)
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

Did they send an e-mail 9 months ago announcing the new info on their website? (Just a question, as clearly some *were* surprised.)
Air Canada sent an email about this in December 2011 ( I received on 22/12/2011). It explained all of the changes, new tiers, and provided a link to ACs 2013 site. There was also traffic about this on ACs Facebook and Twitter pages around this time as well.

While the specifics benefits were not announced then, it was made clear that 35k dropped to *S and *G was for 50k and above.

While AC has not been the best in communicating things, I think in this instance they were upfront with key changes to the programme.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by MaxYYZ
WOW! Is Air Canada for real?!? First they take on their employees in disastrous labour relations...making them even angrier than before. Now they're taking on their frequent fliers! Does Air Canada not know about the saying, DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!! I've been an Elite member for almost a decade and these changes have ensured that I've gone from choosing Air Canada to avoiding Air Canada.

It's pretty simple, there are many more options now for domestic Canadian travel...Porter = awesome! WestJet = fun! Air Canada = last resort...only if other options aren't available! And there are a multitude of options for international travel.

And changing the program in the middle of the benefit year is dishonest. It's akin to breach of contract...I've chosen Air Canada for flights this year on the promise of Elite benefits for 2013. Changing the program = breaking their promise...it's that simple!
Welcome to FT. This rant is about 9 months late though...
Old Sep 22, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by canadatosiberia
Welcome to FT. This rant is about 9 months late though...
It sure was.. AC Announced it Dec.22,2011. So all who don't like the 35K the writing was on the wall 9 months ago and if you thought about it softly for 5 or 6 years ago. So Wake Up and stop complaining you didn't know anything about it.
If you don't want to fly AC then don't!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing

The question is was it announced to all Aeroplan members or only those that follow FlyerTalk.
This is the text of the email I received on Dec 22, 2011 (bold is mine) :

Dear Tinchote,

As a valued Air Canada customer, we'd like to share changes planned for the 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program. As the program includes the introduction of new tier levels and the realignment of some benefits, we are announcing the key benefit changes a year in advance.

Note that these changes apply to the 2013 Top Tier benefit year beginning March 1, 2013, and therefore do not affect the 2012 Air Canada Top Tier Program.

The 2013 Top Tier Program, which will feature two new tier levels, has been redesigned to better recognize and reward our customers. It also aligns our program with industry leaders and ensures that the Air Canada Top Tier Program remains highly competitive internationally.

Here are some of the highlights of the 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program for each of the five tier levels:
° Members earning 25,000 Status Miles or 25 Status Flight Segments will enjoy 2013 Top Tier benefits similar to those offered with the 2012 Top Tier Program

° Members earning 35,000 Status Miles or 35 Status Flight Segments will notice changes to their 2013 Top Tier benefit program as compared to the 2012 Top Tier Program:
° Star Alliance™ Gold recognition will be replaced by Star Alliance Silver. Members, however, will be able to choose Star Alliance Lounge access as a Select Privilege
° Upgrades with eUpgrade Credits will apply on Tango Plus and Latitude fares for travel in North America, and Latitude fares for travel to international destinations
° Members will continue to enjoy many Air Canada Priority Airport and Reservation services, complimentary access to Maple Leaf™ Lounges, three complimentary checked bags on Air Canada flights, Bonus Aeroplan® Miles for eligible flights as a Select Privilege, and more

° Members will be able to achieve new levels of recognition with the introduction of two additional tiers:
° Members earning 50,000 Status Miles or 50 Status Flight Segments will enjoy the 2013 Top Tier benefits earned at 35,000 Status Miles, as well as:
° A higher upgrade priority
° Upgrades with eUpgrade Credits which apply on Tango Plus and Latitude fares system-wide
° Additional eUpgrade Credits
° Star Alliance Gold recognition

° Members earning 75,000 Status Miles or 75 Status Flight Segments will enjoy the 2013 Top Tier benefits earned at 50,000 Status Miles, along with:
° An accelerated earning of Bonus Aeroplan Miles for eligible flights as a Select Privilege
° An exclusive Threshold Program

° Members earning 100,000 Status Miles or 95 Status Flight Segments will enjoy 2013 Top Tier benefits similar to those offered with the 2012 Top Tier Program

To view more details with the qualification levels and associated benefits for the 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program, click here.

Over the course of 2012, we will continue to introduce improvements to the program, as some new and exciting benefits are currently in the works. Also, we will be unveiling the names of the new tiers.

To keep you updated on the latest news, we will be communicating with you regularly throughout 2012. We also encourage you to bookmark aircanada.com/toptier2013 and to follow us on Twitter @ACTopTier.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by tinchote
This is the text of the email I received on Dec 22, 2011 (bold is mine) :

Dear Tinchote,

As a valued Air Canada customer, we'd like to share changes planned for the 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program. As the program includes the introduction of new tier levels and the realignment of some benefits, we are announcing the key benefit changes a year in advance.

Note that these changes apply to the 2013 Top Tier benefit year beginning March 1, 2013, and therefore do not affect the 2012 Air Canada Top Tier Program.

The 2013 Top Tier Program, which will feature two new tier levels, has been redesigned to better recognize and reward our customers. It also aligns our program with industry leaders and ensures that the Air Canada Top Tier Program remains highly competitive internationally.

Here are some of the highlights of the 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program for each of the five tier levels:
° Members earning 25,000 Status Miles or 25 Status Flight Segments will enjoy 2013 Top Tier benefits similar to those offered with the 2012 Top Tier Program

° Members earning 35,000 Status Miles or 35 Status Flight Segments will notice changes to their 2013 Top Tier benefit program as compared to the 2012 Top Tier Program:
° Star Alliance™ Gold recognition will be replaced by Star Alliance Silver. Members, however, will be able to choose Star Alliance Lounge access as a Select Privilege
° Upgrades with eUpgrade Credits will apply on Tango Plus and Latitude fares for travel in North America, and Latitude fares for travel to international destinations
° Members will continue to enjoy many Air Canada Priority Airport and Reservation services, complimentary access to Maple Leaf™ Lounges, three complimentary checked bags on Air Canada flights, Bonus Aeroplan® Miles for eligible flights as a Select Privilege, and more

° Members will be able to achieve new levels of recognition with the introduction of two additional tiers:
° Members earning 50,000 Status Miles or 50 Status Flight Segments will enjoy the 2013 Top Tier benefits earned at 35,000 Status Miles, as well as:
° Upgrades with eUpgrade Credits which apply on Tango Plus and Latitude fares system-wide
° Star Alliance Gold recognition

° Members earning 75,000 Status Miles or 75 Status Flight Segments will enjoy the 2013 Top Tier benefits earned at 50,000 Status Miles, along with:
° An accelerated earning of Bonus Aeroplan Miles for eligible flights as a Select Privilege
° An exclusive Threshold Program

° Members earning 100,000 Status Miles or 95 Status Flight Segments will enjoy 2013 Top Tier benefits similar to those offered with the 2012 Top Tier Program

To view more details with the qualification levels and associated benefits for the 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program, click here.

Over the course of 2012, we will continue to introduce improvements to the program, as some new and exciting benefits are currently in the works. Also, we will be unveiling the names of the new tiers.

To keep you updated on the latest news, we will be communicating with you regularly throughout 2012. We also encourage you to bookmark aircanada.com/toptier2013 and to follow us on Twitter @ACTopTier.
I just checked and i received the same e-mail Dec 22 2011 12:08 PM

No surprise, I think many have already planned accordingly, with A3, UA or getting out all togther or simply amending their flying. Those who are in the 1% (Oh no not again ) this wont change as they fly all the time, usually in J so little change, more benefits for SE.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:20 pm

The program change has been very clear since the end of Dec 2011. What was not clear was the options you could select at each level, eupgrade credits you would get when hitting threshold levels. AC was also a little vague on how they would handle the options ( lounge/upgrades) as far as new 35k level, but it was clear it would not be as per current 35k level.

If you wanted the same as you had in 2012 in 2013 you would need 50k status miles or 50 segments.

The full program ( now public ) explains the details. I think the shock for some is due to not reading their emails from AC and assuming nothing will change year to year.

Me I'm going to look at the whole package and decide what to do during 2013, pick another program or stay with AC. Same thing I did Dec 2011 for this years travels, I knew I would easily hit 50 K, the benefits were in line, so I stayed with the program.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Max Power
Thanks Jasper, I appreciate you providing the crib for that post, now I can go back and read it and try and make some sense of it.

As for the Aeroplan program changes - I'm SuperElite, and qualify for SuperElite every year because I constantly travel intercontinental in paid J for work purposes. To me, given my circumstances, the only benefits of Aeroplan SE membership are:
Your an FSS (with NC I assume) and an airline pilot? I need to start working for these companies.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I just checked and i received the same e-mail Dec 22 2011 12:08 PM

No surprise, I think many have already planned accordingly, with A3, UA or getting out all togther or simply amending their flying. Those who are in the 1% (Oh no not again ) this wont change as they fly all the time, usually in J so little change, more benefits for SE.
I have no record of such an email. Can you say the email address it came from?

For myself, I think I would have structured my flying differently over the last year if I'd known all this was coming. Only because I sporadically have Aeroplan questions that I look on Flyertalk for answers to do I know anything about this, and only as of a few days ago.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by passenger66
I have no record of such an email. Can you say the email address it came from?
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from mta01.aircanada.thindata.net (mta01.aircanada.thindata.net [64.34.54.197])

Received: from [76.74.134.17] ([76.74.134.17:3979] helo=TDWDA11)
by mta01 (envelope-from <[email protected]>)
(ecelerity 3.2.3.43244 r(43244)) with ESMTP
id BC/72-21322-D5463FE4; Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:09:49 -0500
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:09:49 -0500
To: *******@*****.****.**
Subject: A preview of the 2013 Top Tier Program
Reply-To: [email protected]
Message-Id: <[email protected] >
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
Ok i get that, although surprised (pleasantly) that they consider Canada international (i know it obviously is but it seems in the past it was treated as domestic when trying for lounge access with RCC)

I also know that F(J) on UA/US does not get lounge....which is weird.....but having *G earned with UA and or US at 50k EQM does not even get you in the lounge domestically?

Where i am confused is i thought *G got you into ANY * lounge...... and i am sure i have entered RCC and UA lounge with my *G status on US domestic flights???? I recall because i was in F/J but had to produce a *G card?

Just Lucky?
Airline clubs in the US have been by paid membership since the implementation of anti-discrimination laws in the 60s. Before that, lounges were by invitation and fairly exclusive (CIPs were invited by local marketing departments...we had the same thing in Canada with AC's Maple Leaf Club and CP's Kanata Club), and back in the days when people actually paid to fly F, this included those with F tickets (which is the norm outside the USA). However, the anti-discrimination laws said federally regulated businesses could not discriminate entry which meant these clubs had to become membership by fee entities (economic segregation being okay). Once this occurred, the clubs also became profit centres for the airlines and important sources of revenue. For that reason, their versions of STARGold excluded access to clubs on strictly domestic itineraries unless one was a member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.