Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by j_the_p
I'm surprised that you're surprised. The info about the 35k tier has been out for a long time. Star Silver with some extra bennies. That's been the message since early in the year.

I'm a little surprised by the surprise too. It was pretty clear to me last December that AC *G was going to be harder to get with my planned travel for 2012. Given that I fly mostly UA transborder these days it wasn't too troubling to switch. Being *S on either airline is basically like being without status anyhow, so the lack of scam charges on redemptions was one deciding factor.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Fair enough, but keep in mind that airfares are significantly higher in Canada. I sympathize with the grumblings. From a cost perspective, it is significantly less costly to obtain 50K status in the USA than it is in Canada. Long haul flights to Asia out of Europe are also less costly than from Canada, so EU FFs have a better value proposition. In Canada, the pax pay much higher airfares and are screwed.
Fully agree with you but the USA has 285M people living there compared to our 35M. They also have multiple airlines that fully compete with each other. So all this certainly keeps cost down. The UK is 65M and they only support 1 National airline. Those in Canada who think we can support 2 Natonal airlines are dreaming. We simply are not that Big.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
it is significantly less costly to obtain 50K status in the USA than it is in Canada
Does 50K on United or US Airways earn you access to lounges?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
Have you seen how many eupgrades you are losing along with the *gold benifit? and you are happy?
To be honest, so much of my flying the last little while has been on express DH3's where there isn't even a J cabin, and alot of YLW and YVR as well, where even if there is J, I won't bother for the hour long flight. For my transcons, I'm *fingers crossed* going to be on Lat. fares for at least the next few months, so it's not nearly as bad (2 credits vs. 10). For me, bypassing the security line and grabbing a coffee in the MLL is most important, and I still get that.

As for *G, I really use the status maybe once or twice a year outside Canada....and even then I usually go to NYC (LGA still grants lounge access to the new MLL), and if somewhere else, its not common enough to be a big issue.

I can see how someone who does any real travel on other carriers would be annoyed, but for me, it's not a bad looking change.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:54 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by gglave
No, but the cash savings on a single flight booked on US or UA instead of AC may well purchase a lounge membership, which can then be used whenever you fly, regardless of airline.

(Actually, UA and US *G get you access to lounges outside of the US, but I know what you meant.)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE
To me the changes look pretty reasonable but also add some complexity.

- Having to fight 75ks for exit rows may not be any fun though
- Free bikes/sport equipment is nice (although they never seemed to charge me for them anyway)
- Being able to upgrade AE tickets could be nice, that would help my domestic flying especially if I have a family member travelling on points while I'm on revenue. It's driven me a bit nuts that I couldn't upgrade the AE ticket (although op-ups have been a rare treat) and have the plane leave with open J seats. Wonder if this will just be for the member or direct family/nominees or travel companions.
- The whole first AE ticket change for fee thing is nice (and will save me $) although, to be honest the booking fee bothers me a lot more than the change fee for whatever reason - maybe now I'll just start booking tickets online and then calling to make my free change . But I wonder how this will work, will it apply to any ticket booked by the SE? Or just tickets for the SE? Or if I have a tickets for 2 passengers on a single PNR will I get one ticket changed free and pay for the other? Hopefully it's straightforward and simply a free change on any ticket booked by the member!

The only point that gets me is that on this page (http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...lusive_Rewards) it specifically says that SE's will have:
Access to any unsold Economy Class seat, and additional Executive cabin seats on Air Canada flights
Where as in this year's program it simply says we have "special access to unsold seats". I've been frustrated by this a few times this year and been unable to get economy seats on domestic flights with lots of room (mostly between YVR & YYC but occassionally on other routes). If this is a return to any economy seat availability I'll be pretty happy! I understood capacity mangement in J (to some degree) but, much less so in Y.

Now... I wonder if I'll pull off requalifiying!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by markandrew
At the 35k level, I just do not see any reason not to just go to Aegean and get full *G. I just noticed some awesome things in their programme - earn rates are 200% on AC J class, and 150% in R class.
150% in R?! So it is back to the same YMMV issue, of after being upgraded and change your FFP on your BP before boarding.... But nice to know... I should of done that on my last trip!

Originally Posted by plgplg
ha ha! When I got the email and read it quickly I thought they had changed the name of the new loyalty program to

Air Canada Attitude

+1 same here

Originally Posted by gl89
I'll be 50K E for next year.

Already, with the change to the T+ fares, I am flying UA more. Full miles, cheaper price...
Same here

Originally Posted by rehoult
I'm with Ken. Here is the map of 11K from YYZ: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=11000mi%40yyz
Neat. Didn't know this trick. thx

Originally Posted by tinchote
Actually, I have met people doing EZE-PEK all with AC (EZE-SCL-YYZ-YVR-PEK). You have to admit that at 17 ecredits it was a good deal...
I will keep that in mind if I ever need a MR...

You noticed that too. Well, all I know is that there is no incentive for me to fly on AC on my long hauls to Asia. For example, I have to go to China in peak travel season - December/January YYZ-PEK
5 star Hainan Business class is $2650 and First class $4600.
3 star Air Canada Executive class is $5356.

No brainer. The AC FF points are worthless when the cost savings on a J class seat are taken into consideration I could make 2 round trips on Hainan, at the cost of 1 trip on AC and then after 4 or 5 trips on AC have the pleasure of paying $1000 or so in charges to use my FF points. Not much of an incentive is it?
Do the math and it is obvious that on many long haul routes now, the AC FF program is worthless. On my Hainan flights I can fly First for less than AC, have a decent meal, premium service and get a better redemption opportunity for my points.
Agree. AC FFP makes you pay the extras for their points that may not worth that much $.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:57 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
OMG, I misunderstood the checkmark... I assumed that was just a gift lol - so let's say you gift the status to your pet, and you get him to nominate you, and loot all of his eupgrades, that's better than 100% bonus miles and the fees that come with them at redemption time right?
This is a great new perk, and I sincerely hope that AC comes down hard on anyone they catch exploiting this. Creating fake Aeroplan accounts, trying to sell the 50k status etc. are against the T&Cs.

Last year they restricted that you can only be nominated by one other person due to abuse, so I really hope they don't water this one down as well down the road.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Has it been confirmed anywhere that eUpgrades earned after Nov 1 will expire in 2014 as last year?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: AC E75K
As someone else mentioned, I'm curious how boarding announcements will work now. How will they distinguish between the various Elites without spewing a mouthful of numbers?

I'm a little surprised by the "Sponsor a 50K Elite" privilege. If AC's intention is to cull the ranks of status members as a cure for overcrowded lounges, this seems counterintuitive. But I'm biased since I don't have a SO right now.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by gglave
Yes, on transborder and international flights.

Not for domestic USA itineraries.

I still havent missed an upgrade out of BUF or YYZ as a lowly Gold.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by AC888
As someone else mentioned, I'm curious how boarding announcements will work now. How will they distinguish between the various Elites without spewing a mouthful of numbers?

I'm a little surprised by the "Sponsor a 50K Elite" privilege. If AC's intention is to cull the ranks of status members as a cure for overcrowded lounges, this seems counterintuitive. But I'm biased since I don't have a SO right now.
So they can spin it in marketing materials and blue books... Have an increased number of elites who likely don't travel as much and won't incur the costs.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Rewards Gold Elite, AVIS Preferred Plus
So, I guess I'm not the typical AC E, and their changes took away any desire to fly with them. I have averaged 80K during the last 5 years, but during 2012 I will only get to about 40K due to becoming a dad and spending some time off work. I expect to go back to 80K in 2013.
I'm based in London, so Heathrow lounge access is the most important perk for me, followed closely by *A G lounge access, since I have to do all my European travel on *A metal and not AC.

I normally fly to North America 4 times a year against about 30 trips within Europe. So now that I will be *A S, it means I may as well not belong to any FF program at all.

I guess is back to BA, although they suck too, hence my move to *A three years ago. In a way, AC got what they wanted: I only did 3 inter-continental flights with them this year - I'm not worth their time. I got the message loud and clear.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Sounds more like "Attitude."

I wonder just how much thought the geniuses in marketing put into this name.
That keeps rolling off my tongue too.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by Shareholder
...I think I will stay with my current 82K EQM balance and put the rest of my STAR flights (including some AC ones) into my MP account and go for 75K over there, or even 1K again. (Will easily renew my AA ExecPlat so have that base covered.)

No doubt the tier program is a more solid offering now, and more clearly defined based on how much you fly each year and what those flight patterns are. Is it better? A net assessment would say "No" if compared to MP for a number of benefits I won't go into. The real downside for AE is on the redemption side where award levels for premium flights have gone through the roof, as have the fuel surcharge fees. Hardly an incentive to earn more AE when their value continues to decline.

No doubt many of the more promiscuous will flee AE for A3's program and it's very attractive STARGold tier.
Uh, would some kind soul please provide a decoder for all the above acronyms?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.