Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Here's a thought: load-based pricing of eUpgrades

If a flight is J9C9D9Z9P9R9 4 hours before departure (yes, I've seen this), don't charge the regular 10 eUps. Charge 5.

If it's J1C0..., charge 15.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow

If a flight is J9C9D9Z9P9R9 4 hours before departure (yes, I've seen this), don't charge the regular 10 eUps. Charge 5.

Y not just do e-upgrade bidding, you can beat those on the wait list if you bid more
Not bad for some nice year end dumping
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Y not just do e-upgrade bidding, you can beat those on the wait list if you bid more
Not bad for some nice year end dumping
I'd want to see a list for that to be feasible, and I have zero faith in them being able to implement a working list.

Also, they'd need to be able to set some reserve floor. I've been on international flights with not-full J cabins, which means a 1 credit bid could win.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I'd want to see a list for that to be feasible, and I have zero faith in them being able to implement a working list.
... said the man who suggested that they implement load-based pricing of eUpgrades
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
... said the man who suggested that they implement load-based pricing of eUpgrades
Well, there's "what I think would be a good or interesting idea", and then there's "what I think AC could do".

That suggestion was the former

I mean if they can't even make their website work after a year...
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Well, there's "what I think would be a good or interesting idea", and then there's "what I think AC could do".

That suggestion was the former

I mean if they can't even make their website work after a year...
C'mon, give them a break ... websites are complicated, they require electrons & thought & effort ...
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AP 1992- , AC SE1MM, NEXUS, GE, TD Visa Infinite Privilege, Fairmont Platinum
Thumbs down

Please don't! That's the worse idea ever!!!

It would totally disrupt any attempt of planning one's eUps use throughout the year. My Excel file would catch fire from being manipulated too often... no pre-visibility.

OMG, that *is* hell
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by LeisureMiler
Please don't! That's the worse idea ever!!!

It would totally disrupt any attempt of planning one's eUps use throughout the year. My Excel file would catch fire from being manipulated too often... no pre-visibility.

OMG, that *is* hell
But how is that any different than having to manage your dollar budget for travel?

Book on an empty flight, you save $. Book on a full flight, it costs more $.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AP 1992- , AC SE1MM, NEXUS, GE, TD Visa Infinite Privilege, Fairmont Platinum
Smile

But how is that any different than having to manage your dollar budget for travel?

Book on an empty flight, you save $. Book on a full flight, it costs more $.
Lol, fair point... but somehow, because of my flight pattern (mostly TPACs), I'm in a situation where points are what I have to manage, and AQDs follow, mostly, though I am doing a return flight YUL - YVR - SYD this coming weekend to tie me over, which amounts to a AQM and AQD run.

(to tell you how much I can plan ahead, that run was planned in June, and the eUps allocated then)

I'm aware my situation is not the normal (but who's is on this board )
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Ok, so I'm trying to buy a Lat fare YUL-YYZ-FRA-PRG for this weekend.

Website says YYZ-FRA is available for upgrade. When I check for YUL-YYZ-FRA-PRG on EF, the YYZ-FRA segment is J4Z2P3, so it matches what AC.com is saying. But I when I check for just YYZ-FRA I get J4Z4P0.

I hate this married segment logic!

I have the feeling once I buy it then try to upgrade I won't be able to and I'll be screwed. Any ideas? I guess I could just buy it and refund since it's Latitude but I wanted to get an opinion from someone who's actually experienced this before.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by gabdusch
Ok, so I'm trying to buy a Lat fare YUL-YYZ-FRA-PRG for this weekend.

Website says YYZ-FRA is available for upgrade. When I check for YUL-YYZ-FRA-PRG on EF, the YYZ-FRA segment is J4Z2P3, so it matches what AC.com is saying. But I when I check for just YYZ-FRA I get J4Z4P0.

I hate this married segment logic!

I have the feeling once I buy it then try to upgrade I won't be able to and I'll be screwed. Any ideas? I guess I could just buy it and refund since it's Latitude but I wanted to get an opinion from someone who's actually experienced this before.
Since it's Latitude, why not experiment instead of seeking and waiting for answers here?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:22 pm

My suspicion is you won't be able to upgrade, but my suspicion is also that you have a non-zero chance of convincing a phone agent that "there's P space, therefore I deserve an upgrade".

Or "the booking page shows a blue 'upgrade available' box, therefore I deserve an upgrade".
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
My suspicion is you won't be able to upgrade, but my suspicion is also that you have a non-zero chance of convincing a phone agent that "there's P space, therefore I deserve an upgrade".

Or "the booking page shows a blue 'upgrade available' box, therefore I deserve an upgrade".
Yes, my thoughts exactly. I guess I'll try it out and let you guys know.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
It's also possible that the married segment availability that EF displays is wrong. I had something a few weeks ago where I was trying to book flights that had availability in P on EF but that had no P according to AC reservations, even after confirming with the resource desk and ticketing. Meanwhile, one of the flights showed P0 on EF on an individual segment but supposedly had P1 according to AC.

Or vice versa, I forget. Either way, EF was not matching AC's systems for availability of P.

Worth a phone call, I think.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC75K, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Hi all -

I'm booked in PY (E class) from YYZ --> EZE, and put in for an eupgrade at almost exactly T-5 days. As expected, I'm waitlisted.

Current inventory according to expertflyer: J8, R0

Any thoughts on the odds of this clearing? I'm 50K, and this trip will put me to 75K for the year.

Cheers,

/a

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.