Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
retirement like i plan to do....and find another hobby.....
I will probably have to retire form Flying AC. Problem is a lot of my plans for are already made with AC, in 2012.

The problem with these loyalty programs, it always seems that things get taken away, each year there is some kind of devaluation. It makes you wonder why we bother at all.
I bet, as there is a flood of disgruntled AC-E's to join A3, they will devalue their program in year or two. I am going have to read up on my options, especially when flying from YYC.

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
As a BF / GF team, both Elite (40 / 60 k) this will be a hit.

Still not clear to me if I chose Star Alliance Lounge Access "select privilege" whether I can bring in a guest - my 7 yr old son. It doesn't seem so.

This was previously a driver for both of us to maintain E status.

Disappointed...

I have been loyal to Air Canada for 15 years... I used Air Canada because of the opportunity to get to Star Alliance Gold at 35K miles.

While I am not a high mileage traveler, average 35K -45K miles a year, I stayed with Air Canada because of the benefits. My average travel airline costs is about $60K US per year, the quality of service, the friendliness of the staff, the quality of the seats, were all subpar compared to their competition ... yet i stayed with Air Canada because of the Star Alliance gold, and Loyalty. I would change my international routing just to hit an Air Canada plane... Not that i would be looking for upgrades.. but brand loyalty means something to me...

I realize I’m probably a Minority on this Forum with my low mileage but this will end my relationship with Air Canada at the end of 2012. My $60K US will go to Sky team, or Asiana. I am fine with all the other tier changes but having Star Alliance Gold made my travel experiences so much better. I might as well switch to Asiana / Korean Air and have Friendly staff, fantastic food, and a comfortable seat to sit in.

I realize that Farewell Air Canada lets enjoy this last year together... my disappointment is breath taking...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Originally Posted by Dorian
I'd say 100k+ should read: "benefits through the beat down of other tiers"
+1

That's one way of doing it.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by Air Canada Top Tier
We’ve been reviewing some of your feedback, and we’re glad to see that many of you understand the key rationale around the new program – to realign benefits to those members who are flying with us most frequently. Additionally, as part of this realignment, we’re looking to offer you more choice in the program going forward – a perfect example of which is the fact that we’ll introduce Star Alliance Lounge access as a 2013 Select Privilege for members earning 35,000 Status Miles or 35 Status Flight Segments.

Two other things worth mentioning:

Our FAQs on aircanada.com provide a significant amount of detail on many of the questions and concerns that have been raised here, including how this impacts the Million Mile program, and how Early Status Recognition will be handled for members qualifying for the first time over the course of 2012.

There has been some confusion regarding the Priority Rewards benefit. Note that members earning 35,000 / 50,000 / 75,000 Status Miles or 35 / 50 / 75 Status Flight Segments will enjoy a similar Priority Rewards benefit to 2012 Elite members (ie, double the Classic Aeroplan Miles for Economy seats, up to aircraft capacity). Similarly, there will be no changes to the Priority Rewards program for members earning 100,000 Status Miles or 95 Status Flight Segments.
I understand the key rationale, but doesn't mean I like it(and from reviewing other feedback's, I believe many don't also). Unfortunately, I personally don't see the point in continuing my loyalty with you anymore. But thank you for your service during the last 7 years, its been great!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Air Canada Top Tier
We’ve been reviewing some of your feedback, and we’re glad to see that many of you understand the key rationale around the new program – to realign benefits to those members who are flying with us most frequently. Additionally, as part of this realignment, we’re looking to offer you more choice in the program going forward – a perfect example of which is the fact that we’ll introduce Star Alliance Lounge access as a 2013 Select Privilege for members earning 35,000 Status Miles or 35 Status Flight Segments.

Two other things worth mentioning:

Our FAQs on aircanada.com provide a significant amount of detail on many of the questions and concerns that have been raised here, including how this impacts the Million Mile program, and how Early Status Recognition will be handled for members qualifying for the first time over the course of 2012.

There has been some confusion regarding the Priority Rewards benefit. Note that members earning 35,000 / 50,000 / 75,000 Status Miles or 35 / 50 / 75 Status Flight Segments will enjoy a similar Priority Rewards benefit to 2012 Elite members (ie, double the Classic Aeroplan Miles for Economy seats, up to aircraft capacity). Similarly, there will be no changes to the Priority Rewards program for members earning 100,000 Status Miles or 95 Status Flight Segments.
It's fine to focus on those who fly more, I don't think anyone isn't fine with doffing a cap as they go first - but entirely removing a perk (i.e. intl upgrades on normal tickets) seems like a very clumsy, and pejorative, way of doing it. Just reduce the window for eupgrade bookings, etc. As I said prior, it feels like these changes are focused on problems found at only a small number of airports and a small number of flights.

I for one won't be going out of my way to fly AC any more (e.g. 2x the price to Vegas) - so I guess it's Westjet's gain.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Originally Posted by m.y
People shouldn't feel upset when they will be receiving less benefits for the same flying pattern? Just because it didn't impact you, then others who were impacted can't complain?
Here, here.

Yes, there are some that are complaining that it was announced later than they would have liked in order to modify their travels plans accordingly. In fact, is only a big deal if those travel plans would be on other than *A carriers.

The root cause of the complaints is just as this posted said: for the same travel pattern, there are significantly less benefits in return especially for 35k E's. And don't be calling us bottom-feeders; if the programs says you get X benefits if you fly Y miles, then them's the rules. If you are happy/unhappy with your benefits for what you fly, so be it. And allow me to do the same, just don't tell me I should be happy/unhappy for what I fly.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Still not clear to me if I chose Star Alliance Lounge Access "select privilege" whether I can bring in a guest - my 7 yr old son. It doesn't seem so.
All *A paid lounge card holders can bring one guest to *A lounges worldwide.
Originally Posted by Hawkler
IMy $60K US will go to Sky team, or Asiana. I am fine with all the other tier changes but having Star Alliance Gold made my travel experiences so much better. I might as well switch to Asiana / Korean Air and have Friendly staff, fantastic food, and a comfortable seat to sit in.
If you do most of your flying to Korea you're lucky because you get to choose between a world-class carrier in OZ (doesn't fly to Canada though) and a
pretty good one in KE. You should be able to make OZ Platinum (*G) for similar amount of travel as you would need for AC*E in the first year, and renewals will require even less miles flown because of 2 year qualification periods. Use your AC*E to get you through until you're OZ*G. You can fly UA to SFO and OZ (or even SQ) to ICN. I wish KE or OZ were convenient for me when I travel to YNJ (Yanji) from HKG. Right now I'm stuck flying CA on that route.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by zorn

AC is a relatively decent airline and they will probably continue to be the choice I make for many flights.
I have no problem with AC the airline either. I'm glad I've have been posting all my AC flights to Miles and More rather than Aeroplan for the last 6 years though. This works for my personal situation well. With all this advance notice that has been given for 2013 others should look for possible alternatives that suit them better within Star and credit booked flights with AC in 2012 to that program. Changing the FFP on the booking is simple enough.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WhiteYUL
Here, here.

The root cause of the complaints is just as this posted said: for the same travel pattern, there are significantly less benefits in return especially for 35k E's. And don't be calling us bottom-feeders; if the programs says you get X benefits if you fly Y miles, then them's the rules. If you are happy/unhappy with your benefits for what you fly, so be it. And allow me to do the same, just don't tell me I should be happy/unhappy for what I fly.
Well, the question is who should be called bottom-feeder; a 40k Elite who spent $ 10k flying AC only or a $10 K SE who got his/her status flying any *A member's cheapest status yielding fares. Heck, there were some members saying that they achieved SE while spending significantly less than $ 10k.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, PC-Platinum Royal Ambassador, DL-Silver, HH-Gold, Marriott-Gold
Here is a bad thing for SE's as they already qualified for the top tire they will not be considered for early or instant recon for the new tires
So Current E's will be benefit from many thinks the first year every time they cross a status^

There is also a danger of AC may eliminate the early recon for the first year as it's offering too much for some one who is going to cross the different status marks

Programs: AC
The problem I see with the *A Lounge Access Select Privilege is that it probably won't cover contract lounges in airports like KBP. As a *G you usually get a pass to the contract lounge at check-in if there is no dedicated *G lounge. With *S on your Aeroplan card you're likely on your own.

Programs: AC*E50, PC Plat, SPG Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by john_doe123123
don't forget, if you book with AC, the SQ leg from HKG to SIN is operated by SQ and not eligible for status miles...
what do you mean? In 2011 star alliance miles qualified as status miles, I did not see any announcements about the change , AC site clearly says :
Earn miles when you fly with other Star Alliance member airlines

You can also earn Aeroplan Miles when you fly on eligible scheduled flights operated by Star Alliance member airlines:
Adria airways
Aegean Airlines
Air China
Air New Zealand
ANA
Asiana Airlines
Austrian
Blue 1
BMI
Brussels Airlines
Continental Airlines
Croatia Airlines
Egyptair
LOT Polish Airlines
Lufthansa
SAS Scandinavian Airlines
Shanghai Airlines
Singapore Airlines
South African Airways
Spanair
Swiss
TAM Airlines
TAP Portugal
Thai Airways
Turkish Airlines
United Airlines
US Airways
The Aeroplan Miles you earn on eligible Star Alliance member airlines flights will also count as Air Canada Status Miles qualifying you for Air Canada Top Tier status.

************************************************** *********************************
Overall, I am disappointed with the change, AC will see less business from me.
At the same time, I appreciate early notification.

Last edited by ag2000; Dec 22, 2011 at 4:01 pm
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
cry cry cry T__T

I do all my travel on my own dime. A combination of US domestic MRs (on weekends and the vac day here or there) + annual visits to Canada (to get the 10k minimum) is a tolerable "cost of living standard" for E.

But now the 35k tier turns into P+ ... I don't think I have the time nor can justify the cost of flying the extra 15k......

I think AC just fired me as a customer T__T
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by TelFunku
The problem I see with the *A Lounge Access Select Privilege is that it probably won't cover contract lounges in airports like KBP. As a *G you usually get a pass to the contract lounge at check-in if there is no dedicated *G lounge. With *S on your Aeroplan card you're likely on your own.
Would just purchasing the Maple Leaf Card get you in those lounges or is it just for AC operated lounges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.